Author Topic: My Turbo Grafx 16 CD  (Read 550 times)

Bernie

My Turbo Grafx 16 CD
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:46:54 AM »
Well, thanks to a trade I did with BlueBMW I am a proud owner of a refurbished CD unit.  Hooked it up yesterday and it works great.  I love it!  Right now I only have the original system card but I have a 3.0 coming from soop and a chopsado coming from  roflmao to hold me over till I get the Turbo region modded.  Its cool to finally own the CD setup!  Its bulky but man its sweet Wellness.  :)

DragonmasterDan

Re: My Turbo Grafx 16 CD
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:25:38 AM »
congrats
--DragonmasterDan

Drakon

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:58:17 AM »
Yeah no tg16 or pce is complete without the cd unit.  The system screams "gimme a cd unit!!!!"
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:49:13 AM »
Woo hoo!  Congrats!  I love how absurd it looks. :D

tpivette

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:30 AM »
Congrats Bernie! I just got my a CD Rom drive back from Chop5 after buying it broken. After 23 years, my original Turbo Grafx is finally whole. Looks awesome all assembled
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

HercTNT

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:53:24 AM »
congrats, i have a duo, but long to have an original tgcd setup again

reno5

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:11:46 AM »
Always wanted one ! Congrats

Bernie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »
I've got a Turbo Duo as well.  Thats my main machine.  Its just nice having this too.  :)

syphic

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
Id love to have a Turbo Cd set up. I have the system, super system card 3.0 and the base but no cd rom drive.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

fraggore

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 05:22:17 AM »
congratulation on you cd unit its a must have so many good cd games out there, the tg16 beast of a unit with the cd drive hope never to drop it on my foot
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

vestcoat

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:32:46 AM »
I've got a Turbo Duo as well.  Thats my main machine.  Its just nice having this too.  :)
I find it convenient to do all of my Turbochip gaming on a TG and my CD gaming on a Duo. It makes for less wear and tear on my Duo's hucard slot and the memory bank on one TGCD or TB+ is big enough for the hi-scores and save files of every Turbochip I own (minus OotG), so I never have to futz with a Tennokoe Bank if I'm just playing hucards.

Drakon

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »
Speaking of wear and tear on the hucard slot I have two white pc engines.  One of them works fine with the IFU the other doesn't.  So my plan is to keep the turbo everdrive in the non IFU working one and the system card 3.0 in the IFU compatible one.  Problem solved, don't have to worry about those teeny pins getting bent out of shape.

I've got a Turbo Duo as well.  Thats my main machine.  Its just nice having this too.  :)
I find it convenient to do all of my Turbochip gaming on a TG and my CD gaming on a Duo. It makes for less wear and tear on my Duo's hucard slot and the memory bank on one TGCD or TB+ is big enough for the hi-scores and save files of every Turbochip I own (minus OotG), so I never have to futz with a Tennokoe Bank if I'm just playing hucards.

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
Speaking of wear and tear on the hucard slot I have two white pc engines.  One of them works fine with the IFU the other doesn't.  So my plan is to keep the turbo everdrive in the non IFU working one and the system card 3.0 in the IFU compatible one.  Problem solved, don't have to worry about those teeny pins getting bent out of shape.
On the other hand, friction is nature's contact cleaner. The easiest way to fix a dirty, crackling connection on a patchbay or audio mixer is often by running a plug in and out of the jack a couple dozen times; the same principle applies to cartridges. Stuff likes to get used. When neglected, rubber tires crack, oil congeals, gasoline gets shitty, muscles atrophy, Duo memory banks vanish, and metal corrodes and tarnishes. I left a N64 memory pak in a controller for ten years and it seems the contacts fused and/or tarnished together - the memory pak no longer works in any other controller and the controller can no longer read any other memory paks.

The best bet is to use ALL of your...*ahem* hucard slots fairly often, but use a cheap system for your everyday workhorse.

Finally, I suspect half of the "worn-out" hucard slots reported are really just dirty. Turbo users are pretty blasé about system cleaning because our decks have never had a big problem with dirt and very few TG system cleaners were ever made, but they do need cleaning occasionally.

Drakon

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 02:01:59 AM »
Okay so remove and re-insert my card once a week or something and all's good......I'll be honest the teeny pins inside the hucard slot don't look too durable...or replaceable.

esteban

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »
OBSERVATION: (Old-timers can attest to this) In recent years, there has been a significant shift away from automatically hating the TG-CD. I love this change of heart. TG-CD used to get no love (outside of myself and a handful of others). It was gospel that only Japanese hardware looked good aesthetically (or was even desirable as main gaming console).

Needless to say, I am happy that TG-CD is getting some genuine love

Well, thanks to a trade I did with BlueBMW I am a proud owner of a refurbished CD unit.  Hooked it up yesterday and it works great.  I love it!  Right now I only have the original system card but I have a 3.0 coming from soop and a chopsado coming from  roflmao to hold me over till I get the Turbo region modded.  Its cool to finally own the CD setup!  Its bulky but man its sweet Wellness.  :)

Congratulations! Welcome to the club . I know you will thoroughly enjoy all the unique aspects of the TG-CD.

|    |