Author Topic: Worth it to pay a little more for Ys 1 and 2  (Read 578 times)

turboswimbz

Worth it to pay a little more for Ys 1 and 2
« on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Just got a duo, Need a CD game to play now? is it worth it to e-bay (most likely overpay) this game?  my thought is should I find it cheaper I can re-ebay the copy from there.

Just looking for some quick thoughts on the topic. 

Thanks in Advance
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Mathius

Re: Worth it to pay a little more for Ys 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
Best advice I can give is to be patient and don't jump on a high priced BIN. Make a WTB thread here and see what you get. If that fails then bid on an auction, or hope that someone out there has a reasonably priced BIN.

*Edit-In this day and age the best tool a retro gamer has is his ability to be patient. A good deal will always turn up if you can wait.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:39:27 PM by Mathius »
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
How much money are you talking? If you're looking at the $39/49BIN copy on ebay, don't do it. There are some $30 w/manual copies available elsewhere, which isn't too bad.

turboswimbz

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
Was looking at $35 appears to be a box in with manual in a random case (has right case).  Looks like i'll hold out.  I always figure e-bay is about $10 more than what is decent and anything lower than that is a deal.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:30:53 PM by turboswimbz »

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »
The best way to buy turbobs on eBay is to be patient, and use something like eSnipe.  I use eSnipe to put in what I consider to be a reasonable price for whatever game, then I just forget about it.  I've gotten several good deals this way.  There's no stressing out or obsessing about it.  You just see a game you've been looking for, decide what you'd be willing to pay for it, put that amount in to the system, and forget about it.  You'll lose most of the auctions, but you'll score sometimes.  It's like fishing - you don't get a bite every time you cast, but every once in a while you catch a nice fish.

Chris

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
Yeah this is my normal strategy. Just saw a buy it now, and since I have no background on Cd pricing I was wondering if it was worth waiting.  Maybe a local store will have a cheap Cd game laying around until I find a deal.  I swear I am like a kid at the candy store when it comes to this stuff.  I have to limited my visit to stores and ebay, eventually I get all antsy.

Mathius

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:02:17 PM »
Yeah this is my normal strategy. Just saw a buy it now, and since I have no background on Cd pricing I was wondering if it was worth waiting.  Maybe a local store will have a cheap Cd game laying around until I find a deal.  I swear I am like a kid at the candy store when it comes to this stuff.  I have to limited my visit to stores and ebay, eventually I get all antsy.

Don't ever come to MGC then. The first time I walked into the vendor hall I nearly walked out with a bag full of financial crisis. That game sucks.

Kaijuboy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »

Don't ever come to MGC then. The first time I walked into the vendor hall I nearly walked out with a bag full of financial crisis. That game sucks.

Ummm...  whats MGC?   :?

Mathius

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

Ummm...  whats MGC?   :?

The Midwest Gaming Classic. It's a gaming show some members here along with myself take part in. Here is a link:

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

turboswimbz

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 05:39:30 AM »

Ummm...  whats MGC?   :?

The Midwest Gaming Classic. It's a gaming show some members here along with myself take part in. Here is a link:

http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/

I've been thinking about trying to make a trip out to that, Have heard it's pretty spectacular.  If i wasn't a poor recent grad. I'd be all over it.  And I'm sure what ever money I had in my pocket would be gone!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »
I have no idea what this game has ever been "worth" dollar-wise since I got it as the pack-in, but IMO this is without question the #1 US game to own so I'd say its worth whatever you can pay for it, assuming it hasn't become a $300 game lately or something crazy like that.

tpivette

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:22:28 AM »
If you do get Ys, my save on the Duo is still in there (should be on Book 2, in the Solomon tower). I forgot about all my saves when I sold it. No way to get them back really... guess I'll have to start fresh with games like Dragon Slayer, Ys, etc.

On topic: I think I got a complete (no box) Ys Book 1 & 2 on ebay for like $26 shipped. It has come up in price alot since then, tho. Seems to be a $40 - $50 game regularly there now
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »
If you do get Ys, my save on the Duo is still in there (should be on Book 2, in the Solomon tower). I forgot about all my saves when I sold it. No way to get them back really... guess I'll have to start fresh with games like Dragon Slayer, Ys, etc.
You sold your Duo to Turboswimbz? It would be fairly easy to get at least your Ys slot back - he could load your game and email you the password.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 01:53:37 AM »
average selling price is 25-30, there's a ton of copies out there so hold out for a better deal
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

turboswimbz

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 02:09:46 AM »
Didn't even think about the saved stuff, till i saw the posts.  I'll get you back whatever I can, seems like Ys is possible.  It's in town so it'll be here tomorrow. And yeah I did hold out, on the 35 and 40 dollar ones, just bought one from philly (not on ebay), so it'll get here somewhat quickly, cost me a bit more than i would have liked, was shooting for 30 with shipping but I ended up paying a little under 35 with shipping. 29.99 for the game and 4.80 for shipping.  I don't think I'm going to regret it too much though, really looking forward to my first turbo-cd experience.