Author Topic: Mysterious Song is now released  (Read 14874 times)

esteban

Re: Mysterious Song is now released
« Reply #480 on: May 25, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »

I noticed two game modes in the beginning , but i actually don't know what they mean.

DUDE! There is more fun awaiting you when you finish the standard quest. GOOD STUFF that you will SURELY ADD TO YOUR LIST of "The Good Points"...

|    | 

cosmos99

« Reply #481 on: May 26, 2013, 03:22:59 AM »
Good!  :) You know , since i choose french language , i didn't know the meaning of the options , it was unclear , i will look the meaning in english. But if it's even better that's great. :wink:

cosmos99

« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »
I've checked again , in english this time but ,i'm still wondering what this all about. The two modes "original" and "balanced" , what does this mean ? The words were well translated to french though.

Is it related to the standard quest you were talking about ? I guess not , i suppose you have to complete the game first. Please tell me the meaning of the two modes at the beginning. Thanks.

I will play the game on the DUO-R and see if those long loadings appear again or not.

Black Tiger

« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2013, 08:26:11 AM »
I've checked again , in english this time but ,i'm still wondering what this all about. The two modes "original" and "balanced" , what does this mean ? The words were well translated to french though.

Is it related to the standard quest you were talking about ? I guess not , i suppose you have to complete the game first. Please tell me the meaning of the two modes at the beginning. Thanks.

I will play the game on the DUO-R and see if those long loadings appear again or not.

Original has the tough gameplay of the original PC version. Balanced is more balanced and should require less grinding(?). Both are the same game and are more or less different difficulties.

The occasional long load time is just the CD-ROM getting lost, which is normal for all CD games and is just something PCE hardware does. Because the game loads every time you enter and exit a battle (in order to provide background graphics), there are many more loads than most CD games and you will encounter a lost search more often time-wise, but not in frequency. A six stage action game on CD might only load 8 times during a play through, but 8 loads equals 4 battles in Mysterious Song. If your CD-ROM does get lost, you can just open and close the CD door to restart it.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

cosmos99

« Reply #484 on: May 26, 2013, 08:51:11 AM »
Thanks for explanations. I've played a lot of RPG but i've never encountered such phenomenon.

Black Tiger

« Reply #485 on: May 26, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
Thanks for explanations. I've played a lot of RPG but i've never encountered such phenomenon.

A lot of PCE CD RPGs? This happens with both Sega-CD and PCE games in general, as it was the first generation of console CD technology. Many PCE RPGs don't use background art in order to avoid loading every fight.

SeymorOnion

« Reply #486 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
IIRC, Cosmic Fantasy 2 just overlaid the monsters and battle menu on top of the field and dungeon graphics, instead of using a Background.
I think some of the boss battles had a solid black background, tho...

I like the Battle Back Grounds in Mysterious song, and feel that the loading time is worth it, in that game.
Usually it loads pretty fast, but like ya'll said, every so often it can take a while.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:42:29 AM by SeymorOnion »

cosmos99

« Reply #487 on: May 26, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
Yes you're right Cosmic 2 has no battle background although monsters have better graphics.

Second day on the game , i've now seen one more "video" and i found it beautiful ,very good job !  :)

Well i tried the game on my DUO-R and the long loadings came more often so i suppose it is more related with laser unit condition , greasing and lens condition may be.

French translation is good , villages are really nice. Finally there are very few points i "dislike" , for the next RPG please bring life to all those NPC and i would point too the music balance , sometimes too loud , more sound effects would be appreciated too , other than that ,great game ,bravo !  :clap:

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #488 on: May 26, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
I played a bit the game yesterday and Wow! I've been really impressed , what a work you did ! It's even better than i thought ,the game is beautiful. The intro is short but very well drawn , i also love battle backgounds , cutes characters , nice villages and the map too. Battles are short wich is a good thing but you need some levelling before the bosses , although i actually met only two bosses.Music is good although metal on some area is strange... Anyway a must have for the PC Engine that can rank in the upper average. :)

The bad points:

-french traduction is uncomplete but not too annoying.

-audio tracks seem sometimes too short so they oftenly loop.

-NPC are too static ,they don't even turn your direction when you talk to them,they are like statues.

-The game is missing of sound effects.

-Sometimes loadings are very long when most time they are very quick , i can't explain why , is it my Duo ? I will try with my Duo-R.

-The two bosses i encountered are too small , i wished i had seen some huge half screen beasts.

The good points:

-Very good to splendid graphics.

-Some audio tracks are pleasant.

-Nice packaging.

-french and spanish translations.

I noticed two game modes in the beginning , but i actually don't know what they mean.

I believe we ran out of memory for the French translation, it's a shame, but I'm glad it's still playable in French.  For the music, I supposed I could've doubled up the songs so they could last longer, though, that'd take some extra work since I didn't have access to the original songs.

NPC's, yes, they just sit there, & that's always been a bummer for me.  IIRC, there was something in the coding that would've had to been completely redone to have them move around.  So we came up with the idea for them to stand there, but be animated(blinking, waving, sneezing, etc.).  I can't recall if Keranu finished all the frames or not, but, I believe that was also constrained by memory, so wasn't doable. :(

In hindsite, I believe Keranu wishes he had redrawn a lot of the sprites, though, I can't speak for him.  I just seem to recall him saying something along the lines of wanting to go back & redo them all, but, the game had been pushed back & pushed back sooooo many times.

cosmos99

« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
Just take my remarks as advices for the future not as critics ,but i think you have understand. :)

French translation is really good , it doesn't really matter if it's uncomplete , any RPG fan knows english.

Another point ,again , i never played the original game ,but where are the treasure chests in dungeons ? It's fun to search for treasure chests.

All in all , for a first game it's awesome , i want to complete the game , it's a good sign. :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
Just take my remarks as advices for the future not as critics ,but i think you have understand. :)

French translation is really good , it doesn't really matter if it's uncomplete , any RPG fan knows english.

Another point ,again , i never played the original game ,but where are the treasure chests in dungeons ? It's fun to search for treasure chests.

All in all , for a first game it's awesome , i want to complete the game , it's a good sign. :)

There are many chests to find in dungeons and often a detour which doesn't lead to the boss or exit at least rewards you with chests. Most are common items, but some contain nice gear.

cosmos99

« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2013, 05:42:13 AM »
Oh nice , so later in game , the two first dungeons had no chests and i have not even completed the second one. :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #492 on: May 27, 2013, 06:49:44 AM »
You can see some of the chests from upcoming dungeons in some of these screenshots-

Here are some real actual screen shots from early on in the other thread-

You now have no excuse not to buy the game. :wink:

cosmos99

« Reply #493 on: May 27, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
No worries ,i trust you !  :wink:

termis

« Reply #494 on: June 05, 2013, 02:03:22 AM »
Got back yesterday, and *sigh*, nothing yet.  Am I the only one who's not received their copy?