Author Topic: Enemy of the State: Revisited (Trivia Challenge)  (Read 654 times)

esteban

Enemy of the State: Revisited (Trivia Challenge)
« on: January 22, 2006, 04:57:35 AM »
OK, it turns out that Aaron already answered my question. In fact, he even has stills and videos from the movie. I should have checked his feature before writing up this post! Oh well. Read Aaron's feature to find the answer to the trivia challenge.

Quote from: "Dumbass who should have known better"
OK, so most folks here know that Enemy of the State (the film starring Will Smith) featured TurboExpress in a bunch of scenes. Aaron even did a feature on this here at pcefx.com

Anyway, the movie was on ABC last night (I don't have cable, so yes, I'm the sad sack who still watches movies with commercials). I didn't watch the whole film, but as luck would have it, I was always in the room when the TE was featured in a scene.

I'm stupid, so here are the appearances (as best as I can recall them, yes I have OCD):

1. Jason Lee is looking for a place to hide the video, so he grabs his TurboExpress, PULLS OUT A HUCARD and inserts a card in its place.
Trivia Challenge: What HuCard does he pull out? I couldn't tell, it happened so quickly. IIRC, it had a red(?) label?

2. Jason Lee drops TE in Will Smith's shopping bag (when they meet in the lingerie store).

3. Will Smith's kid takes the TE, thinking its a gift from his dad (not sure about this scene).

4. Hiding in the back of the Nanny's car, Will Smith finally gets the TE back from his son. His son (along with his friend), both say that the TE "is broken" and has a "scrambled screen" when they turned it on. Anyway, the friend has the TE in his backpack, or something, pulls it out, and then hands it to Will Smith.

5. Will Smith waves the TE in front of Gene Hackman a few times (while they are driving) -- they are being pursued by federal agents.

6. Sucessfully evading agents, Will and Gene are at a safehouse. His curiosity intrigued, Gene Hackman finally holds the TE, pulls out the card, so he can see what is on the video.

So, what HuCard is pulled out of TE?
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:35:02 PM »
I can't tell what the HuCard is, I only notice a TG16 and possibly a blue background or a small image on top of the TG16 logo, so I am going to guess it's Samurai Ghost.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

NightWolve

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »
What I would like to know is who was the TG-16 fan apart of the staff that got the TE included in the movie in the first place?

esteban

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
Quote from: "NightWolve"
What I would like to know is who was the TG-16 fan apart of the staff that got the TE included in the movie in the first place?
I know! I think the person in charge of props must have at least known a TG-16 fan. True, it could have been a totally random choice, but my heart tells me that it wasn't :).
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 07:07:56 AM »
Oh I was sure it had to be fan related the first time I saw it :D . Maybe Aaron or someone hear was in charge of the props?
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Pcenginefx

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 07:17:14 AM »
I actually wanted to contact the prop person for that movie a while back since I have some contacts in the biz, but never got around to it. :(  I've always been interested to know why they used the TE of all things.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

esteban

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 07:59:21 AM »
Quote from: "Pcenginefx"
I've always been interested to know why they used the TE of all things.
Seriously, it's not like you find tons of TE's littering the thrift stores. And the TE in the movie was in pristine condition. Perhaps they wanted something that was similar enough to the old skool Gameboy (which is synonymous with handheld gaming), but without distracting us from the movie (or providing free product promotion for NOA).

All speculation, of course.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 03:31:42 PM »
I was thinking about this last week at work. Maybe the prop designer was just trying to find a portable game system that looked sleek and when he fonud that the TE used sleek card-like cartridges, he figured it would be perfect for a computer device. But lets face it, someone in the set, whether it be the prop designer or not, was probably a Turbo nerd :P .

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
From what I heard, Enemy of the State is not the only movie where Turbo hardware makes a cameo. A Turbo Duo is also spotted in "Higher Learning".

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:26:17 PM »
What is this "Higher Learning"? You got me really interested :D . I assume some cheesy made-for-schools movie.

esteban

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 07:47:14 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
From what I heard, Enemy of the State is not the only movie where Turbo hardware makes a cameo. A Turbo Duo is also spotted in "Higher Learning".
AWESOME! OK, we now have a mission to verify this, folks :)

There were two movies that came out at the same time that seemed similar, Higher Learning and ______________. I always confuse them.

EDIT: Dangerous Minds!

Higher Learning was a much better film (more serious with social issues), but they both have corny stuff (moreso in Dangerous Minds).
  |    | 

Jammaniaclord

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 08:59:09 AM »
I saw this movie in the theater back in the day, and i was SHOCKED and amazed tht was in the movie. Recognized RIGHT OFF THE BAT. My old eyes cannot miss something as awesome as an NEC gaming product. :lol:
PC Cocoron Hunter

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »
That sounds great.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 03:31:02 PM »
Ok I just got Higher Learning, and after going through it twice, I can't find a TurboDuo anywhere.  There is an object that is in a shape of a TurboDuo, however isn't anywhere near a TV (where it should be) and the shot is a fast-panning, burry shot (in other words, impossible to verify that it was a Duo).

On the other hand, at about 1h 22mins into the movie, one of the characters has a HUGE printout of Zonk on his closet door!  This is really obvious and might have been what people were talking about.  Screenshots & video clip coming up :)
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 04:42:04 PM »
I can't wait to see the shots and video for that! Can anyone verify if there really was a Turbo Duo anywhere in that film?