Author Topic: To those who have it, how is Mysterious Song?  (Read 1458 times)

storino03

To those who have it, how is Mysterious Song?
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Gameplay/Sound/Music/Controls, that sort of thing. I ordered a copy a few months ago but it is at my parents' house.

To purchase: http://frozenutopia.com/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:04:10 AM by storino03 »

Bernie

Re: To those who have it, how is Mysterious Song?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Its awesome!!  Playing it now.  "Have you seen my pussy?"

Flare65

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Are there any videos of the gameplay out there?

djolof

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
So far so good. Just got mine this afternoon! I can't believe I am holding a Turbo game that came out in 2012!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:22 AM »
Gameplay - it's traditional RPG fare (expect grinding) with some silly humor mixed in; the only bad thing is that the main game is a bit on the short side (as was the original), but fortunately the EX game, optional dungeons, and unlockable goodies give it plenty of replay value.
Sound - the sound effects are okay and what one usually finds in such games (it's not a shewty, so don't expect lots of grand explosions and blazing lazers)
Music - the music is pretty damn good - maybe not as good as the stuff in Ys, but what is?
Controls - ..... it's an RPG.  Ya tell Spear to go left, he goes left.

and .
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:45:30 AM »

there is some of me playing it at the start.

I die.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

roflmao

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »
I've wanted to record some gameplay because I'm really enjoying it, but I don't want to give anything away. :P

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »
Gameplay - it's traditional RPG fare (expect grinding) with some silly humor mixed in; the only bad thing is that the main game is a bit on the short side (as was the original), but fortunately the EX game, optional dungeons, and unlockable goodies give it plenty of replay value.
Sound - the sound effects are okay and what one usually finds in such games (it's not a shewty, so don't expect lots of grand explosions and blazing lazers)
Music - the music is pretty damn good - maybe not as good as the stuff in Ys, but what is?
Controls - ..... it's an RPG.  Ya tell Spear to go left, he goes left.

and

Ah, good, I'm glad you like the music!  Sometimes I wish I had gone in & completely recomposed everything from scratch, instead of remxing it/mashing it up.  Though, that probably means I would have had alot less done on Jungle Bros., Valkyrie Midnight, etc.  If people like the music, then I've accomplished my mission(well, me & Odonadon who thankfully was able to fill in & make a nice new title screen theme!).

Bloody Wolf

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:13:54 PM »
I need to get a CD system........uuggghhhhh!!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 03:28:23 AM »
If people like the music, then I've accomplished my mission.

Mission Accomplished!  The only thing that I don't like is the switching between tracks for battles, but that's a pretty minor quibble shared with plenty of commercial titles and has nothing to do with the quality of the tunes themselves anyway.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:26:03 AM »
I was very impressed by the music, the first time I got to play Mysterious Song. There are many memorable tracks and some effective ambient stuff, but what really made the game for me is the killer battle and boss music. Most RPGs just have satisfactory battle bgms. But great and ill-suited battle bgms turn RPGs into either fun or annoying games. It is hard for me to play Lufia or Dragon Slayer II PCE because of the goofy/annoying battle bgms. But Benkei Gaiden and Dragon Slayer I PCE are very addictive, thanks to the perfectly suited catchy battle bgms. Mysterious Song isn't in the satisfactory group, it is more fun to play its battles (75+% of an RPG's gametime) than the average professionally developed RPG.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GohanX

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:34:13 AM »
the only bad thing is that the main game is a bit on the short side (as was the original),

This is actually a positive to me. I love RPGs, but don't have time to play them. I love 15 hourish RPGs.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
Its not a bad game at all, quite enjoyable and great tunes. My only complaint are the loading times between going into battle and finishing the fight. Now to see a arcade card enhanced version, that would be pretty cool.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
It's pretty good, though very standard fare.  But that's OK as I like that.  I'd rather have a good game without gimmicks than something that tries something new and fails. The prices in the shops seem pretty high, though. Also I can only play for about 20 minutes at a time as this game is EXTREMELY stressful on the CD-ROM mechanics.  Everything loads.  It's like a CD System 2.0 game with only 64k of memory, very similar to Cosmic Fantasy 2 in the amount of loads.  It needs to load every battle, every town, everything.  And it does this A LOT.  I am actually surprised that Super CD is required.  But as a result my CD drive will eventually "forget" to load until I nudge it.  After a few times of that, I just turn it off.  After it has cooled down it is fine again.  This happens occasionally on other games, too.  Always has since day one.  But Mysterious Song really brings this issue out like no other game.

EDIT:  I think incorporating PSG music would have been much less stressful on the system.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:07:27 PM by Joe Redifer »

8bitForLife

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
where could i purchase or get this game been wondering since i saw the raffle sorry if its a dumb question.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm