Author Topic: To those who have it, how is Mysterious Song?  (Read 1459 times)

Bernie

Re: To those who have it, how is Mysterious Song?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »
Its awesome!!  Playing it now.  "Have you seen my pussy?"

No I havn't seen it, and I don't want to.

Thats actually a quote from one of the characters in the game....   :wink:

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
I found out were to get the game myself and I got to say great work rover and when I work myself out of debt ill get your game for my collection =)

You found out where to get it yourself?  Hmmm, I guess that means it's hit the torrents or something. :(  I knew it'd happen eventually, but I hope it doesn't keep people from buying the real thing.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
I found out were to get the game myself and I got to say great work rover and when I work myself out of debt ill get your game for my collection =)

You found out where to get it yourself?  Hmmm, I guess that means it's hit the torrents or something. :(  I knew it'd happen eventually, but I hope it doesn't keep people from buying the real thing.
People will still buy it. Torrenting definitely hasn't affected the Retro scene at all. If anything, it will get more exposure and people will more than likely buy it.

Bernie

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
I gotta be honest here...  The game just came out, and people are already ripping it and uploading/downloading it?  Thats just plain cheap.  Way to support the homebrew scene. 

nodtveidt

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »
No worries Joe, I was just explaining why the game works like it does. :) I wish we could have done it a bit more efficiently, and now I probably would have done a few things differently, but without actually diving into assembly for the whole thing, making it more efficient would be a real challenge.

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »
No, he means that he found the site. :)

Bernie

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »
Oh ok.  Glad it hasn't hit the torrents.

Drakon

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
Thank goodness that post made me worried.

Its awesome!!  Playing it now.  "Have you seen my pussy?"

No I havn't seen it, and I don't want to.

Thats actually a quote from one of the characters in the game....   :wink:
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2012, 03:18:14 AM »
I think that chip tunes for battles and towns in CD RPGs were used simply to keep the overworld bgm from restarting constantly. That's why games like Ys used chip tunes for towns, even though it doesn't have turn based battles. If anything chip tunes should take up more memory and would add to potential load times. It only  takes <1 second to switch a CD track.

After reading various comments about MS load times, I fired up the beta on cdr and on my briefcase setup they are always 4 seconds long. Which is very speedy compared to famous RPGs from 16-bit to this generation, which range from 7 - 20 second load/wait times for battles.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2012, 03:32:46 AM »
I think that chip tunes for battles and towns in CD RPGs were used simply to keep the overworld bgm from restarting constantly. That's why games like Ys used chip tunes for towns, even though it doesn't have turn based battles. If anything chip tunes should take up more memory and would add to potential load times. It only  takes <1 second to switch a CD track.

Insanity's entire soundtrack fit into like, one bank of memory.  You could probably load the music for MSR into memory and never have to reload it, assuming you do the chiptunes properly (Use repeats/macros to save space).

Chiptunes don't take much space. 

You could also probably have swapped Squirrel into the equation near painlessly (aside from making the MML for all the songs, lol).  You'd just be swapping the CD play calls with Squirrel ones!  :)

But, it's no biggy, and I am definitely not saying OH THE CD MUSIC IS STUPID WHY'D YOU EVEN DO IT.   I just like chiptunes 900000x more than CD music and almost always prefer them.   Shadow of the Beast is one of the exceptions. 

I am just thankful the songs for MSR don't have that stupid early 90s Toys R' Us keyboard sound to them.  If it sounded like elevator music at a sears, I'd be pretty pissed off.

Anyway, it wouldn't have really changed anything as far as CD access goes.  Tons of data is tons of data.  Bopping over to the CD track is the least of the worries, I'd bet.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

PUSH RUN BUTTON!

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
The gameplay videos look awesome and the music sound spectacular. Just ordered it.
Check out PUSHRUNBUTTON.COM!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2012, 08:50:35 AM »
One thing I like about the music is that it sounds not just like proper game music but proper TurboDuo 1992 game music. Very nice feel.

I'm not such a huge fan of using CDDA for both battles and maps though. Sure, Cosmic Fantasy always did it this way, but I prefer Tengai Mayou II's way. In TMII I can be done with the fight and back on the map before Cosmic Fantasy has got me to the battle screen.

I'm not complaining though, both ways of doing things are totally legit. I just prefer a mix of PSG and CDDA.

mac

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
Just placed the order :) . So excited to be buying a new Turbo game in 2012  :dance:

nodtveidt

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Paranoia Dragon took special care to ensure that the music was of the highest possible quality... he has equipment I don't have, and way more experience in the field of audio engineering. As such, my direct contributions to the sound are very minimal; I remastered the music for the cutscenes and the alternate ending... that's it. He did all the rest.

If we ever do another RPG (and we have a couple of ideas in mind down the road), then Squirrel will get used in them. :)

motdelbourt

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »
The song in the first town is giving me some serious Rolling Stones vibes. Gotta figure out the song I'm thinking of.