Author Topic: Highly suitable TFT screen to replace faulty one in PC Engine GT / Turbo Express  (Read 599 times)

jonzo

I purchased a little 2.5" screen on hmmBay this week with the intention of using it in a PCE GT.

Have to say it looks very suitable and will keep the unit looking very stock.  Price ~$60.

The innards of the little screen are very small, will easily fit within the PCE GT.

Hoped to be able to determine the pins on the ICs and maybe bypass composite and pipe in S-Video or RGB, but as is the case with a lot of this no name stuff, the ICs are not easily identifiable.  At this size composite is probably more than adequate.

Sorry, pics have come out yuuuuuuge!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:36:55 PM by jonzo »

HercTNT

Not sure if it will work or not, but some of our techs can put in even a larger screen for less that $60. I have most my work done by thesteve and I have no complaints.

jonzo

The price of the screen was a little steep.  Those larger screens go for about $25.

I wanted something stock looking in this case - didn't see many options when looking for something so small.

HercTNT

gotcha, lot of people like to keep stock look. nothign wrong with that

CPU64

Did any of you experts look into the screen in those VG Pocket games? I have one and the screen is absolutely gorgeous for such a cheap toy. And it looks to be the exact size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican_VG_Pocket

thesteve

havenot seen the vg pocket

CPU64

I didn't realize that they might be kinda hard to find now... I got mine years ago at gamestop.

thesteve

their site is gone

thesteve

cant afford them now

HercTNT

did no mean you, meant cpu64, sorry about that

jonzo

When I was looking I was concentrating on displays which advertised having analogue video in (in this case composite).

Problem is that the TFT screen needs driving, and I suspect the screen of an all digital device would only have digital video in and/or highly integrated video circuitry.

thesteve

yes the lcd module requires initialization code and digital video.

HercTNT

Update on the vg pocket screens. according to the following sources they are controller less and accept raw rgb. second link on the first post has the pdf. after playing with my new vg pocket i can tell you the screens are of very high quality. hope this info helps anyone out.

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11901
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=197881

would still need a decoding chip, doable by the techs.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:58:59 AM by HercTNT »

thesteve

wow thats an odd drive pattern