Author Topic: Getting into TG16  (Read 972 times)

T.A.P.

Getting into TG16
« on: September 06, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
Hi guys. I just joined this forum after having several members recomend it as the best place to read and talk about TurboGrafX stuff.

Outside of buying one guy's collection a few years ago I'm basically new to TG16. I'd wanted one since the late 90's when I first learned Working Designs had released games for it. Over the years I managed to pick up a couple of them, but Vasteel (the one I wanted to play the most) and Exile 2 have and continue to elude me.

I like what little I have for the system, but I'm tired of playing the same few games. I never see any games for sale locally and practically never on the other forums I frequent (when I do, they're already sold by the time I PM the guy), so it's been hard to find much. Until recently I'd turned my attention to other systems, but now I'm in the mood to play with my Turbo Duo, and I'm looking for some new (to me) stuff to play.

What are the good games for the system? What are the bad ones? What are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?

Firebomber7

Re: Getting into TG16
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
Well, this is the right place to be for sure! What games do you have now? I guess the easiest way to recommend games is to send you here: http://www.pcengine.co.uk/. It's run by one of the forum members here. He's done a brilliant job rating games, giving mini-reviews of a ton of them and has linked to Youtube videos showing some gameplay and music from the majority of them.

Magical Chase is the quickest game I can think of it "too expensive to own for most people" category. If you do want it, the Japanese PC Engine version is much cheaper. Still not cheap, but it's at least doable. Bonk 3 and Soldier Blade are a couple other games that comes to mind where the US one is stupidly expensive, but the Japanese versions are affordable. Sapphire is one that is quite expensive, but if you hang around here you just might find a factory pressed bootleg version. ;) I guess what I'm saying is that you should get a PC Engine, if you don't have one already. A TON of games that were released in Japan never made it to the TG-16/Duo. If sounds like you might already have access to CD games, so that's good.

T.A.P.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
I've got a decent mish-mash of stuff. Most of it is packed away in my dad's basement, but I remember a couple of my favorites like Lords of Thunder and that one pinball game. I had some of the Bonk games, but I never played them much. There were a couple of Japanese games too, but they were RPGs or something and I couldn't really do anything in them.

Honestly, I'm down for trying pretty much anything so any suggestions would be welcome.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:25:34 PM by T.A.P. »

sheath

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 02:27:58 AM »
Awesome, love it when another gamer starts looking into the Turbo.  I take it from your post that you have the Turbo CD or a Turbo DUO.  Based on forum member comments here and elsewhere, most of US library is worth looking into for gameplay related reasons.  

What kind of games do you like?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:29:52 AM by sheath »

T.A.P.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »
I like pretty much everything other than sports titles (nothing's gonna top Super Baseball Simulator 1000 and Tecmo Bowl).

I've got a Turbo Duo, so that means I should be able to play any US release, right (at least that's what I've been told)?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:25:40 AM by T.A.P. »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »
China Warrior.

If you don't get it, I will find you and jump kick your face.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Sadler

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
I like pretty much everything other than sports titles (nothing's gonna top Super Baseball Simulator 1000 and Tecmo Bowl).

I've got a Turbo Duo, so that means I should be able to play any US release, right (at least that's what I've been told)?

Yeah, that's right. You can also play PCE CD and SuperCD games! As far as which games to play, you might want to check out this thread.

turboswimbz

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 03:44:23 AM »
Looking at your wants from your other post, and given the current market, your not going to find those titles easily, each goes for $50-$150 right now, (in the world of e-bay and resellers any more) if the members here have any they might cut you more of deal. (i've been in the mareket for them too)

Your Turbo Duo will play all the american releases as well as the Japaneese CD's as they were not region protected however, some may not work, there are few exceptions. (like games that require an arcade card)

My suggestions, There is a ton of cool games that don't get much attention for the TG-16, or are reasonably priced and easy to get your hands on.  Try some of these:

Fighting Street
Final Lap Twin
Blazing Lazers
Sidearms
Legendary Axe
Aero Blasters
Ninja Spirit
Pac Land
Splash Lake
And so many more,

Also try these videos for Great Game Reviews

www.turboviews.com  also all on youtube under turboviews.  

Oh and welcome.  

as and edit: seriously listen to everyone like vestcoat, arkhan, firbomber, HercTNT, 420goat. sorry if i left anyone out who's been here a while and really helped me out.  I've learned a lot about the TG and PCE stuff just from thier posts, you can also get a lot of info by asking too.  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:06:51 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

bartre

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 03:51:30 AM »
it is absolutely necessary to import Dracula X.

additionally, give Bloody wolf and last alert a try, two games kind of like mercs or ikari warriors, great fun.

vestcoat

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 04:00:02 AM »
Hi guys. I just joined this forum after having several members recomend it as the best place to read and talk about TurboGrafX stuff.

Outside of buying one guy's collection a few years ago I'm basically new to TG16. I'd wanted one since the late 90's when I first learned Working Designs had released games for it. Over the years I managed to pick up a couple of them, but Vasteel (the one I wanted to play the most) and Exile 2 have and continue to elude me.

I like what little I have for the system, but I'm tired of playing the same few games. I never see any games for sale locally and practically never on the other forums I frequent (when I do, they're already sold by the time I PM the guy), so it's been hard to find much. Until recently I'd turned my attention to other systems, but now I'm in the mood to play with my Turbo Duo, and I'm looking for some new (to me) stuff to play.

What are the good games for the system? What are the bad ones? What are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?

Welcome TAP. Turbo games are hard to find in the wild because the system wasn't very popular. Ebay prices generally suck, but that doesn't mean you can't find reasonable deals if you're patient.

If you browse back a few pages, you'll see plenty of discussion about good and bad games. Searches will reveal threads on the best two-player games, the best shooters, the best two-player shooters, the best brawlers, the best RPGs, sports games, PCE worth importing, etc.

Best games:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12498.0
Worst games:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10306.0
One recent discussion about expensive games:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12475.0

HercTNT

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:35:37 AM »
Welcome T.A.P.

Please allow Arkhan to kick you in the face and get it on video to have it posted here. However, only if he agrees to give you three turbo games of your choice :)  Seriously though, Welcome aboard. Don't forget to check out the mod section if you have any trouble with your turbo equipment. One of our techs can fix you up in a jiffy.

RegalSin

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »

I would start with what I know, and then read up on what you do not know. Most of the earlier titles are NES, and "Computer" ports. Giving many people the best absolute console version. Take Addams Family for example, nobody knows how long or cool the game is really unless they actually watched the series. It is best to play before you, pay. Unless you want to end up with Tailspin or Duckwing duck, sounding like a bad Gameboy port, or worst then a gameboy port. If you can't play then preview the game on video, or the images, to see what you are getting. Many people write reviews.

420GOAT

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:10 AM »
China Warrior.

If you don't get it, I will find you and jump kick your face.

hiiii--yayaya!!!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »
Good starter hucards that have always been in a reasonable price range have been Splatterhouse, Bonks Revenge, Alien Crush, Legendary Axe, Bloody Wolf, Side Arms, Blazing Lasers, and R-type.

Sadler

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
What are the absurdly expensive ones that I can never hope to own?

I can't say what you'll eventually own, but the following games either aren't easy to find and/or are quite expensive:

Beyond Shadowgate
Bonk 3
Bonk 3 CD
Cotton
Dynastic Hero
Legend Of Hero Tonma
Magical Chase
Might And Magic 3
Soldier Blade
Super Air Zonk
Terraforming