Author Topic: Getting into TG16  (Read 960 times)

T.A.P.

Re: Getting into TG16
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
Darn. I was kind of interested in Beyond Shadowgate. :(

How expensive is Dynastic Hero? Is it worth getting that one over the Genesis version?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:49:05 PM by T.A.P. »

Firebomber7

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
Do you have the Gate of Thunder disc (with Bonk, Bonk's Revenge and the hidden Bomberman)? If not, definite get Gate of Thunder. You can usually get the Japanese version cheaper.

Also, if you don't have them, here are some CD games you should get that are either Japan-only, or cheaper on the PC Engine CD than Turboduo:
Lords of Thunder (JP version is Winds of Thunder)
Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Rondo of Blood)
Spriggan
Ai Cho Aniki
Star Parodier
Shubibinman 3 (the sequel to Shockman)
CD Denjin (aka. Super Air Zonk)
Pomping World (aka. Buster Bros. or Pang) *it's super cheap and fun!*

TR0N

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
How expensive is Dynastic Hero? Is it worth getting that one over the Genesis version?
The most advantage that dynastic hero has over wounderboy in monster world is the music that's all.Also the u.s version can be very expensive,but the jpn version can be had for very cheap prices.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:29:54 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TheClash603

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 02:08:24 AM »
Was anyone else expecting this thread to be about a contortionist fitting inside a TG16?

...anyway, I see Cadash has not been mentioned.  Usually when I show people the TG16, that ends up being a favorite of theirs.  Great game if you have someone to play with.  A cheapo CD puzzler I really enjoy is Splash Lake, I have full cleared that bad boy several times.

Dynastic Hero sells only a few times a year, so it is hard to set a price.  However, coincidentally one just ended yesterday at $500, after having a starting price around $200.

T.A.P.

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »
Man Turbo prices are discouraging. It's worse than Neo Geo prices. :(

turboswimbz

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 04:55:59 AM »
Hang in there. You'll find deals, it's about being patient
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

thesteve

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 05:10:33 AM »
also your system can be modded to play all the PCE cards as well.
there are several methods for the mod, each with its points.
DIY instructions, kits and mod services can be found in the sales thread and repair/mod thread

Sadler

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
Man Turbo prices are discouraging. It's worse than Neo Geo prices. :(

I'm not familiar with Neo Geo prices, but the reality is the vast majority of the TG's library can be had for cheap. There's maybe 10 games or so that really get expensive. There are lots of great games you can get for under $20. See the thread myself and vestcoat linked to earlier—most of the top titles aren't that expensive. Wanting boxed games does tend to up the price quite a bit though. The pricier Hucard games I have were mostly bought loose. I commandeered cheaper game cases and used Sparky's stickers and inserts for those. Looks great and you won't be dropping $300 for Soldier Blade or Legend of Hero Tonma. :)

Of course, as others have said, getting PCE games is almost always vastly cheaper. Unless you have a serious attachment to the US games (which I fully understand :D ), I'd seriously look at getting the Japanese versions. That's what I've done for Terraforming and Super Air Zonk. And, of course, a flashcard for Magical Chase.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that for Beyond Shadowgate and Bonk 3 CD you are sort of screwed. Those titles (and a few others that don't usually go for that much) were only released in the US.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:26:33 PM by Sadler »

T.A.P.

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
I like being able to read the text in games, which is why I try to buy US when I can.

I'm reluctant to spend money on something I'm not completely satisfied with when the poor-man's option of flash carts and the even poorer-man's option of emulation are readily available (which it looks like I'll have to rely heavily upon. :().

Bloody Wolf

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Just getting back into it myself! I know Bomberman 93 was sick!!!! Haha

turboswimbz

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
I like being able to read the text in games, which is why I try to buy US when I can.

I'm reluctant to spend money on something I'm not completely satisfied with when the poor-man's option of flash carts and the even poorer-man's option of emulation are readily available (which it looks like I'll have to rely heavily upon. :().

Maybe for some of them you will, But MUCH of the library is reasonable.  And deals are out there.  I just scooped up YS III for $36.   Many members here have also had great sucess with garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and craigslist.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

T.A.P.

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »

Maybe for some of them you will, But MUCH of the library is reasonable.  And deals are out there.  I just scooped up YS III for $36.   Many members here have also had great sucess with garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and craigslist.

In the 20+ years I've collected games, I have seen TG16 stuff for sale in person twice. One was some crappy sports titles, the other time the store wasn't even selling them, they were immediately putting them on eBay. Southeast MI is a barren place for Turbo stuff.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:06:56 PM by T.A.P. »

vestcoat

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
You have nothing to worry about. There are only a handful of games where the combination of high price and English text combine to screw the potential gamer: Might and Magic III, Dynastic Hero, and Dungeon Explorer 2. Beyond Shadow is a U.S. exclusive, as already mentioned, and Exile 2 and Vasteel also seem to be getting too expensive. Otherwise, you're fine.

Dynastic Hero and DEII are pretty light on the text and it's worth picking up the PCE versions for $10-20 each.

The import versions of Bonk 3, Bomberman 93, Hero Tomna, Cotton, Terraforming, Godzilla are all completely playable and affordable. They generally go for $50 or less. No one has any business looking for U.S. versions of these games in 2012. And Super Air Zonk is a terrible game.

tpivette

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »

Maybe for some of them you will, But MUCH of the library is reasonable.  And deals are out there.  I just scooped up YS III for $36.   Many members here have also had great sucess with garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores and craigslist.

Bastard! Where'd you score this game for such a good price? I can only find it for $50 or more shipped!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

turboswimbz

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
The ebay, it was under Y's III wanders, no tg-16 tag.  I bid 36 as a top bid with 5 days left. And scored it today at 36 exactly. Talk about luck. 
  I've been pretty lucky so far.  Hope this luck doesn't run out. To be safe with my turbo karma maybe I should run a few more raffles. Lol.