Author Topic: Getting into TG16  (Read 963 times)

tpivette

Re: Getting into TG16
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 04:38:38 PM »
The ebay, it was under Ys III wanders, no tg-16 tag.  I bid 36 as a top bid with 5 days left. And scored it today at 36 exactly. Talk about luck. 
  I've been pretty lucky so far.  Hope this luck doesn't run out. To be safe with my turbo karma maybe I should run a few more raffles. Lol.
Well, if you ever find another one for cheap, let me know!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

T.A.P.

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Great, so the three games I actually really want (Exile 2, Vasteel, and Ys 3) are all outside of my price range. :(

Heck, the reason I got interested in TG16 stuff in the first place was because I found out back in the late 90's that Working Designs released some games for it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:47:30 PM by T.A.P. »

TR0N

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Great, so the three games I actually really want (Exile 2, Vasteel, and Ys 3) are all outside of my price range. :(

Heck, the reason I got interested in TG16 stuff in the first place was because I found out back in the late 90's that Working Designs released some games for it.
Yeah prices for those games you mention are out of controll.Still,as most mention pc-engine version of those games can be had fairly cheap.Just keep checking the selling section here 'since most sell TG16 games here at the right price unlike ebay.About the only suggestion i can give is start with a duo-r or rx since there the most reliable setup.

By the ways as for (exile 2) you're not missing much on the u.s. version.The difficulty for it is broken because wd had telenet change it's code which made it hard to complete.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:01:54 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

8bitForLife

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
if you can get a system card for the cdrom i would diffidently get Dracula x
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

T.A.P.

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
What are some of the good US CD and Super CD games that wont cost me $50+?

Besides the pack-ins that originally came with the Duo, all I have are Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile, and Lords of Thunder.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:32:49 AM by T.A.P. »

tpivette

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 07:30:50 AM »
Valis 2 and 3 zre good and should be had for under $30
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

vestcoat

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »

I understand your price frustrations - we're all frustrated - but I don't understand your surprise or "woe is me!" attitude. Are you phishing for pity sales? It's hard to believe you haven't searched for these games on ebay before or read the dubious "rare and valuable" guide on Racketboy. It's 2012 and everyone knows retro prices are outrageous. It's a terrible time to dive into good underdog consoles. That's why I don't play Sega CD or Saturn - they look awesome and I'd love to have the Working Designs games, but I know I missed the boat and I don't feel like spending thousands of dollars. If you're on a budget, go check out 3DO, 32X, or Master System. None of this should come as a surprise to you.

On the bright side, this isn't an entirely bad time to discover the Turbo scene:
1) many PCE games continue to fall in price. Games like Dracula X and Rainbow Islands sell for half of what they once did.
2) the most advanced homebrew just came out.
3) forum raffles and freebies are out of control.
4) there's never been a better time to repair your console or buy aftermarket goods (hucard sleeves, power supplies, inserts, manuals, etc.)
5) over one-third of the U.S. library is available on the Virtual Console.
6) flash cards are better than ever.

Going back to your want list, there are four copies of Ys III immediately available on mainstream websites for $45-56. Wait for an auction or forum sale and you'll find it even cheaper. The going rate for Exile 2 is unfortunate, but, like Tron said, the difficulty is messed up. Take comfort in the fact that the first one is the better game and buy the PCE version of the sequel which literally only costs $10. WD's Vasteel was a $30-50 game for YEARS and is a very recent addition to the $100+ club. Be patient and you might yet find a reasonable price.

What are some of the good US CD and Super CD games that wont cost me $50+?
The good news is that we've already mentioned every $100+ CD and SCD in this thread. I'm pretty sure any CD we haven't mentioned can be found for <$50.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:10:45 AM by vestcoat »

T.A.P.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
I'm an incredibly insulted that you think I am phishing for pity sales.

I don't read Racketboy (never heard of them), nor do I spend all my free time searching for video games and tracking price fluctuations in the market. Up until recently, I never bothered with eBay. I buy 90% of my video game stuff locally, where most things I want can still be had for $20 and under. The rest I buy off of forums for not much more.

I bought my Turbo stuff 4-5 years ago off of a guy on one of the other forums I go to (for prices that were in line with every thing else at the time). Since then I'd been occupied with other systems (namely all of the ones you listed) as well as other interests. This is the first time in years I've put any real effort towards looking at the TG16 stuff, so yes, frankly I am shocked and disapointed by how shitty the pricing is for this system (just like I am for SNES stuff).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:15:10 AM by T.A.P. »

vestcoat

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2012, 12:47:48 PM »
I'm an incredibly insulted that you think I am phishing for pity sales.
Up until recently, I never bothered with eBay.
In that case, you truly are a rare breed. Welcome to the forums. I hope my information was useful at least.

esteban

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 03:12:59 PM »
Welcome T.A.P.

You will find peace & harmony here.

|    | 

TheClash603

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
Welcome T.A.P.

You will find peace & harmony here.

and insults.  But that is good, because what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

It is really funny, I almost posted the "woe is me" comment, but vestcoat beat me to it.

Drakon

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:03 AM »
Well with flash carts and cd burning you can always illegally play a game until you save up enough funds to feel like buying it.  I don't mind spending the money on these games but I like to spread it out, makes it more fun that way.  If you want disappointment you should get into collecting arcade pcbs.  It's next to impossible to find most pcbs for sale and if you're lucky enough to find them up for sale they'll cost a small fortune.  And they'll be sold by some random person with zero history who could be making it up for all we know.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »
I like being able to read the text in games, which is why I try to buy US when I can.

I'm reluctant to spend money on something I'm not completely satisfied with when the poor-man's option of flash carts and the even poorer-man's option of emulation are readily available (which it looks like I'll have to rely heavily upon. :().

Most of the good games can be had cheaper on the PCE and are arcade games so the text doesn't mean two shits.    What do you need to read in a game like R-Type!? :)

You should consider region modding your TG-16 and getting the CD stuff, or just go for a duo-r.

At the very least with the region mod, you can buy a way-cheaper System Card 3.0 that will work on your US hardware.   The US card is stupid expensive.

You can also burn games to play on real hardware if you aren't sure how you feel about them.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

T.A.P.

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2012, 03:27:31 AM »
Well with flash carts and cd burning you can always illegally play a game until you save up enough funds to feel like buying it.  I don't mind spending the money on these games but I like to spread it out, makes it more fun that way.  If you want disappointment you should get into collecting arcade pcbs.  It's next to impossible to find most pcbs for sale and if you're lucky enough to find them up for sale they'll cost a small fortune.  And they'll be sold by some random person with zero history who could be making it up for all we know.

I got out of PCBs about a year back due to the absurd amount of space, money, and effort involved in keeping them working.