Author Topic: Somebody mentioned they wanted this  (Read 540 times)

galam

Somebody mentioned they wanted this
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
I remember a post of somebody saying they wanted one of these.  I tried to find the original thread, but no luck.
Well, I saw this on Ebay and it doesn't seem like a bad deal, and more than 10 are available according to the seller.

Just a heads up to whoever cares...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-PAL-Format-System-Console-NEW-Never-Used-/370546115798?pt=Video_Games&hash=item56464504d6

turboswimbz

Re: Somebody mentioned they wanted this
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »
COOL
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

tpivette

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »
Never seen one of these up for sale... is $60 for a boxed unit basically new a good deal?

What would it take for one of these to work on a US TV? Would it hook up to a US Turbo Booster without any issues?
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

FiftyQuid

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »
$60 is a good deal depending on how much shipping is to your area.  The NTSC version of a loose TG-16 in my location (Canada) average in the $80, but you can get them for $40 complete.  Of course you can also get them for more than $200 if you feel like burning money.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

turboswimbz

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Never seen one of these up for sale... is $60 for a boxed unit basically new a good deal?

What would it take for one of these to work on a US TV? Would it hook up to a US Turbo Booster without any issues?

I can't find the thread through the search but this is discussed somewhere, I think it may have actually been in the what did you buy today thread with links to the PAL/US attachment thread link.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
it would need to be modified to work with US TV's
booster will work, but not change to NTSC

tpivette

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
Seems there are PAL to NTSC converters for sale (single composite video in and out) for around $20 or so

Sucks the pack-in game, Blazing Lazers, were removed from each boxed unit. If it was still there, I'd definitely jump on one. But since it's missing, I'm still on the fence about this one...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:06:51 PM by tpivette »
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
not sure why anyone would want one of these....
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
I bought one of those from the same seller a few weeks ago.
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
Most PVMs will accept PAL signals.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

CPTRAVE

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
How did they get so many units?

vestcoat

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
Don't PAL decks play at a slower speed or something stupid?

Also, IIRC, these units were originally sold with a separate "accessories" box that contained the RF switch and controller and stuff. This seller's description is vague on whether that's included.

How did they get so many units?
These Euro decks have been all over the place for years now, but usually with insane shipping for NA buyers and at a bad conversion rate to boot. This guy is just the first U.S. seller to import a bunch and it looks like his strategy is to part them out. He seems to have listed the controllers separately.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
Yeah, they're supposed to include a separate accessories box and the missing pack-in game is off putting.

Can't say that I want one, don't really see the point, but if I did I'd buy a truly brand new unit with everything included.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
Don't PAL decks play at a slower speed or something stupid?

Also, IIRC, these units were originally sold with a separate "accessories" box that contained the RF switch and controller and stuff. This seller's description is vague on whether that's included.

Most games seem to run at a slower speed that I've tried.

The one I received came with the acessory box that has the AC adapter, an RF switch and the AV cables. The controller is in the box with the system. He did take the pack-in game out though.

These Euro decks have been all over the place for years now, but usually with insane shipping for NA buyers and at a bad conversion rate to boot. This guy is just the first U.S. seller to import a bunch and it looks like his strategy is to part them out. He seems to have listed the controllers separately.

I think he took the Blazing Lazers out and sold those separately but everything else is intact in the system.
--DragonmasterDan

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
With shipping to North America a complete brand new PAL TurboGrafx can cost as much as $200. Don't buy one to play games, it doesn't run them at full speed on any TV. It is only a collectible. Even an NTSC TurboGrafx-16 isn't the cheapest way to go if you're looking to actually play games. Just get a CoreGrafx or Duo.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum