Author Topic: US DUO price? gotten.  (Read 415 times)

turboswimbz

US DUO price? gotten.
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
Anyone know what a decent price on an american duo, with power supply, no tv cable, controler. would be today?

only place I've seen one is e-bay and a few online stores.  seems to sell for $500 according to those.  seems like what you can get without looking very hard.  I'm talking about what a fair price would be if you look for a while and find something decent.

Trying to haggle for one.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:57:18 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

hoobs88

Re: US DUO price???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:22:20 AM »
I haven't been watching prices on Duos but I recently sold a boxed one for $250 and a loose one for $185. Hopefully that helps.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
Are you selling or buying? If you're looking for a setup to play games on you should avoid the TurboDuo.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

turboswimbz

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 01:35:08 AM »
Buying, this would be a back up to my PCE, with region mod.  I'm not sure if I would Keep it, (machine itself) I've got 4 controllers and a tap thrown in now, so that'll give me a full set, Which would be nice.  Also comes with 3 in disc.  I've heard mixed things about the american duo's.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

Firebomber7

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 01:57:50 AM »
This makes no sense. Just get a PC Engine Duo if you just want to region mod it anyway.

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
This makes no sense. Just get a PC Engine Duo if you just want to region mod it anyway.

I've got a PCE Duo.  This would be purely a back up machine, and one to use just around. should the PCE duo crap out. That's why I don't know if I'd keep it.  I have since got a turbo tap, 4 controllers and the 3 in 1 disc added in to the deal.  So i would use those, and perhaps resell the Duo itself.  It's not really looking like it'll be a great deal [at $250 right now].  I figure that I can always pass along the Turbo Duo to the community here if I decide not to keep it.

Plus, I've always wanted a Turbo Duo, so yea you guessed it, the 7 yr old in me is eating away me to get it, even though I have the PCE.

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 05:23:17 AM »
I haven't paid attention to Turbo Duo prices for a while because they're usually insane, but you're probably not going to find a U.S. Duo for any less unless you buy a junker and repair it yourself. Just the controllers and 3-in-1 disc would cost over $100 separately. I bought my first Duo for $150 in '97 with no accessories.

If you just want a backup unit there are cheaper solutions, but if you want a U.S. Duo and it works, it's a good deal.

I've got a PCE Duo...
I've heard mixed things about the american duo's.
Black Duo's are the same. Turbo Duo's are as good as your PC Engine Duo.

vestcoat

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »
BTW, do you trust the seller? The AV cable could be "missing" to hide the fact that the deck doesn't work. Test the deck with your cable or listen to a CD game through the headphone jack for a while.

SuitedAJ

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Try multimods.com! Dean there just helped me out and he's a swell guy! :)

turboswimbz

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
Thanks Vest. went ahead and got it. And we found the cable, seems to work okay, but longer play time loading audio will tell.  If something goes wrong moight be selling one here to be fixed. lol.

vestcoat

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:25 AM »
Thanks Vest. went ahead and got it. And we found the cable, seems to work okay, but longer play time loading audio will tell.  If something goes wrong moight be selling one here to be fixed. lol.
Congrats. Black Duo's are all about due for a new lens and capacitor change by now, so if anything does go wrong, don't jump to conclusions and fault this particular unit. If it starts losing CD audio, you'll need a new lens, which is a DIY, no-experience-necessary job if you're the patient, methodical type. The caps will need to be replaced fairly soon if they haven't already. Listen to your chiptunes carefully - if you notice the sound gradually becoming quieter or the left or right channel sounding weaker than the other, get it fixed ASAP.

turboswimbz

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
yeah it's beat to hell.  But it starts right up, sounds are crisp, It'll need to be watched for sure.  Hopefully I'll be able to do the caps, some what soon. didn't check the 3 in 1 disc, though bonk's revenge booklet destroyed, no Gate of thunder manual, and no insert, non original case.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:57:02 PM by turboswimbz »

bartre

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
well keep in mind that gate never had a back insert, so you're not out there, but sad about the no gate manual.

turboswimbz

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
well keep in mind that gate never had a back insert, so you're not out there, but sad about the no gate manual.
Didn't realize about the insert. What about the side was that an insert?

syphic

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
Didn't realize about the insert. What about the side was that an insert?

I have a spare Gate of thunder manual i got in a lot. PM if you want it. Ill send it for free. Yay im giving something away!
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer