Author Topic: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)  (Read 4219 times)

ProfessorProfessorson

In similar fashion to the Sony CX one I did for my old crusty site. :wink:

You know, I wanted to point out, and this includes s-video mods regarding the Genesis, etc also, that even if your Tv DOES NOT support S-Video input, the mod is still worth doing. You can use a decent small S-video to Composite adapter like they sell online and at Radio Shack, and the picture quality from that Composite output will still be better then the native Composite output signal provided by the system in most cases. It still wont be as good as s-video, but the picture will still be a notch sharper, and the shimmering effect you see on sprites and objects during screen movement will still be reduced a noticeable amount. Just something to think about for all those stuck with Composite only input on CRT and LCD sets but who still desire improvement in picture quality.

(screen caps comparing composite and svideo on this mod can be found here:   http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13044.msg280373#msg280373)

Keep in mind, ymmv.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:24:13 PM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Drakon

Re: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
No need to solder straight to the ic pin.  I soldered to the surface mount resistor that the trace connects to you'll get a much bigger spot to solder with doing that.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
No need to solder straight to the ic pin.  I soldered to the surface mount resistor that the trace connects to you'll get a much bigger spot to solder with doing that.

Yeah I noticed too that between the Tg16 on that pin and on Pce Duo-R that the TG had a bit more/wider soldering area then the other system on pin 40 to attach to on that pin if you decide to solder there, so the pin spot on the TG-16 is easy to use. But in general, as long as you solder on something leading to that pin then it works. If I remember right too the Duo-R has a tiny solder blob leading off of a trace to pin 40 that is very close by, so you can solder on to that too if need be. If you don't have steady hands I'd def recommend finding a spot leading to the pin to attach to, or use a very fine point soldering iron.

Basically why I didn't bother posting any pic of any wires actually soldered to the pin directly, as the layout seems to vary some between systems.  Everyone is just going to have to choose the spot leading to the pin that works best for them. Some people will want to attach directly, some wont.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:38:52 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

RRR

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Awesome, can't wait to try it out on my TG-16

Freezer

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »
Great diagram.  Makes me wish I hadn't already A/V modded my TG16.  If I hadn't I would have totally done this S-Video mod.  Oh well, maybe in the future I'll add it.

HercTNT

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
The two of you need to keep up the good work. idiots like me need these diagrams to keep from blowing things up.

Drakon

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
The two of you need to keep up the good work. idiots like me need these diagrams to keep from blowing things up.

I get worried when someone who can't read diagrams tries to mod it themselves.  I always prefer the idea of hiring an experienced modder.  I get clients frying a lot of expensive hardware because they wanted to try stuff themselves.  Even when I started modding I sat down and learned how to read simple shematics before doing the actual mods.

No need to solder straight to the ic pin.  I soldered to the surface mount resistor that the trace connects to you'll get a much bigger spot to solder with doing that.

Yeah I noticed too that between the Tg16 on that pin and on Pce Duo-R that the TG had a bit more/wider soldering area then the other system on pin 40 to attach to on that pin if you decide to solder there, so the pin spot on the TG-16 is easy to use. But in general, as long as you solder on something leading to that pin then it works. If I remember right too the Duo-R has a tiny solder blob leading off of a trace to pin 40 that is very close by, so you can solder on to that too if need be. If you don't have steady hands I'd def recommend finding a spot leading to the pin to attach to, or use a very fine point soldering iron.

Basically why I didn't bother posting any pic of any wires actually soldered to the pin directly, as the layout seems to vary some between systems.  Everyone is just going to have to choose the spot leading to the pin that works best for them. Some people will want to attach directly, some wont.

Yeah I understand why you did it this way.  When I first posted my improved 32x s-video mod one guy was so non steady he took off the solder pad when removing the 0 ohm resistor and wasn't able to solder to the ic pin.  If he hadn't removed the solder pad he could have used that which would have been much easier, but it's certainly not impossible to solder to the pin on the ic, it's just more annoying.  Also if the duo doesn't have the expansion port maybe you should show which pin is 5v on something easy to show in a picture like the power regulator?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 11:58:39 PM by Drakon »

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
I get worried when someone who can't read diagrams tries to mod it themselves.  I always prefer the idea of hiring an experienced modder.  I get clients frying a lot of expensive hardware because they wanted to try stuff themselves.  Even when I started modding I sat down and learned how to read simple shematics before doing the actual mods.

To be honest, everyone has to start somewhere, and to suggest someone not try and opt to hire someone instead is just discouraging, making it out like this is something only for the elite, and its most certainly not. Some people learn better by getting their hands dirty getting right to the work, and there are plenty of folks out there with more then capable soldering ability  from doing cap repairs, etc, who simply never learned to read a schematic. There is no reason why something like having to decipher squiggly line symbols and arrows should somehow hold someone back if they otherwise have steady hands and could do the work once they are told what parts they need and where to solder. A complicated schematic is only doing one thing for the person having trouble reading or having never read a schematic, being complicated. There are better ways to share knowledge then that if you want to reach a broader audience.

Also if the duo doesn't have the expansion port maybe you should show which pin is 5v on something easy to show in a picture like the power regulator?

I am not sure what you mean here. My understanding is the Duo has the same AV port as the Duo-R with the exact same pin out. That means that per what the schematic states, 5 volts can be pulled from Pin 4 of the AV port. If it helps you understand which pin to tap it from, I have revised to include a view of the bottom of the port showing its solder points, which have been labeled for easy understanding for anyone who cant figure out which solder point goes to what pin.

Drakon

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:14 AM »
What I mean is if the person isn't willing to learn how to read a simple schematic.  Then they're most likely not patient enough for modding.  A schematic involving 1 transistor a couple of resistors and 1 cap isn't complicated at all to learn.  My schematics are already highly simplified showing pictures of the actual parts.  I admire you making a super easy to follow guide.  I've seen lots of threads on forums where people try to follow some super dumbed down guide but still manage to mess it up all over the place.  I don't try to make mods for "elites" only I just like to keep it difficult enough that if you demonstrate enough patience to learn how to read and wire it then you should have enough patience to get it done right.

I've never had a duo in my posession I didn't know if it has the same expansion port as the tg16 / pc engine.  I'm pretty certain that all consoles contain a 7805 voltage regulator.  If they all use the same expansion port then using the expansion port's fine.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:57:20 AM by Drakon »

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
drakon the duo does not have the expansion port, but has 5V at the AV port.
ALL DUO's have the same AV port, as do some PCE's

Drakon

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
drakon the duo does not have the expansion port, but has 5V at the AV port.
ALL DUO's have the same AV port, as do some PCE's

Oh okay so maybe grabbing from the regulator is more of a universal spot.

HercTNT

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
What I mean is if the person isn't willing to learn how to read a simple schematic.  Then they're most likely not patient enough for modding.  A schematic involving 1 transistor a couple of resistors and 1 cap isn't complicated at all to learn.  My schematics are already highly simplified showing pictures of the actual parts.  I admire you making a super easy to follow guide.  I've seen lots of threads on forums where people try to follow some super dumbed down guide but still manage to mess it up all over the place.  I don't try to make mods for "elites" only I just like to keep it difficult enough that if you demonstrate enough patience to learn how to read and wire it then you should have enough patience to get it done right.

I've never had a duo in my posession I didn't know if it has the same expansion port as the tg16 / pc engine.  I'm pretty certain that all consoles contain a 7805 voltage regulator.  If they all use the same expansion port then using the expansion port's fine.

I can't read schematics and i mod all the time. Also, modding is for everyone, some people learn by example and not by reading charts. Its done right when it works.

thesteve

HercTNT

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »
well thats fine and dandy, but without someone to tell me what it all means it does not help me much.

turboswimbz

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:52 PM »
now see I have the opposite problem, I can read the schematics all day long. (thank you 70 hours of science credit hours) Hell I've even made things on practice bread boards, but when I try to do my own stuff, with real electronics and soldering, I never seem to be able to make the repair correctly.  Although reading the modding boards here has me thinking about trying again, Maybe the next turbo-16 I come across will be fiddled with.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.