Author Topic: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)  (Read 4321 times)

HercTNT

Re: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
everyone is different, some people have the manual skill but the lack of book smarts, some have the book smarts but lack of manual skill. usually though most go to school to learn how to do this stuff and can't simply absorb it. What freezer and the professor are doing is making simplistic easy to follow walk throughs that help those of us who are not as gifted.

turboswimbz

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
everyone is different, some people have the manual skill but the lack of book smarts, some have the book smarts but lack of manual skill. usually though most go to school to learn how to do this stuff and can't simply absorb it. What freezer and the professor are doing is making simplistic easy to follow walk throughs that help those of us who are not as gifted.

Yeah, and I think it's great.  Just saying that for me, it's not the schematics that hang me up, so to say that everyone should learn them is silly, because learning them did me no good.  However, I've met many who can simply pick it up and with a minimal amount of guidance, and do a 100% better job than me.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

HercTNT

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
My comment was more of a general one, thats why i did not quote you. I actually agree with you and thought you made a good point :)

turboswimbz

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »
ha. oops, read yours wrong, lol.  it makes sense now. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

HercTNT

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
no worries :)

Drakon

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 11:59:51 PM »
well thats fine and dandy, but without someone to tell me what it all means it does not help me much.

I used google to learn.  I really doesn't take that much effort.  People not being able to do it right is what worries me.  Like I said some of my clients send me messages about how many systems and expensive hardware they fried trying to do things on their own.  Heck some clients got fried or improperly built hardware because they cheaped out and got some amateur modder to try to get the work done.  I think this super easy guide is a good thing, I'm just concerned about people bridging the pins on the IC and killing their systems.  They're more than welcome to try.  I've been around a lot of modding forums where people follow ultra beginner friendly guides and I get to see how much hardware gets murdered.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:07:28 AM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

HercTNT

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 04:02:15 AM »
I understand why you would be concerned about those that try to sell shoddy work. Just saying there are alot of us that mod for our own private use and our inability to read a schematic does not diminish our patience or the quality of our work. I know that was not the intent of your comment :)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 07:57:27 AM »
Lets stay on topic here please, which is just about the svideo mod itself. If you want Drakon, you could write up a guide with tips and pics to help people new to soldering make the transition easier, and post it it in another thread, maybe help a few avoid making certain mistakes.

Drakon

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 12:12:59 PM »
I don't feel the need you can just google it.  Now that you have pictures of where to get 5v from every model it's pretty much as good as it can get.

Lets stay on topic here please, which is just about the svideo mod itself. If you want Drakon, you could write up a guide with tips and pics to help people new to soldering make the transition easier, and post it it in another thread, maybe help a few avoid making certain mistakes.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
Now that you have pictures of where to get 5v from every model it's pretty much as good as it can get.

I agree. I dont have any issues reading schematics myself, but I found that people ended up liking that one Sony CX one I did due to its ease of use, so hopefully people will find this one helpful. Other then the schematic, all people really need is a good soldering iron, good wire, maybe a good desoldering pump just in case they make a mistake, dremel or power drill, and the parts needed for the mod.

I don't feel the need you can just google it.

There is actually a nice amount of soldering and desoldering tips videos up on youtube if someone needs them in case they are a beginner at soldering.

tpivette

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 03:35:01 AM »
Bumping this, as it was a few pages back and I'm going to use it as a reference when modding my spare TG16 soon. Thanks for the diagram!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Keith Courage

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2012, 06:41:54 AM »
Thought I'd post an update on doing S-video for a TG16 or PC engine that originally had the RF out. This is the easiest S-video mod to do. Some of you may already know this but I found better spots to tap moist signals needed. You can tap 5V and the Composite sync straight from two of the pins that originally went to the RF out. So if you de-solder your RF you can do your mod this way. So this saves having to run really long wires all the way to your expansion port and makes a sturdier connection for the transistor. Also, make sure to still use a 0.001 capacitor. There isn't one in the picture shown. I temporarily hooked it up that way for quick testing purposes. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:52:39 PM by Keith Courage »

fsa

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Thanks for the pic Keith Courage and the diagram ProfessorProfessor (Props to you guys), now I am able to add Svideo to my turbo which is long overdue. I was going to do the AV mode but will also incorporate the SVideo at the same time. Man I got to say its great having guys like you willing to share their knowledge with others. Thanks and I hope my mod works.
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

vxbinaca

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
Nice!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:54:03 PM by vxbinaca »

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
I had a question regarding the picture with all the pin outs ?? At the bottom left corner that says BOTTOM OF AV PORT ON DUO SYSTEMS, does that also apply for my Duo-R ?? I looking to AV mod it myself, so that later in the future when I decide to have it RGB modded I can have my audio come out from those output jacks ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!