Author Topic: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)  (Read 4334 times)

thesteve

Re: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
simpler yes
do the amp from luma (like S-Vid scat)
connect a resistor from it to after the first transistor in the composite circuit.
connect amp shown above twice (once without luma, and again with just luma)

jamisonia

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
that bI-directional mixer, is just that.
it would (contaminate your Luma, with chroma.

This is cheesy but this reminded me of that you got peanut better in my chocolate, no you got chocolate in my peanut butter commercial.

You got Chroma in my Luma... no you got luma in my chroma!

NightWolve I agree that simply cutting the trace would be more desirable than removing the resistor.  Its just strange that the PC Engine doesn't create fully formed Chroma before Luma is mixed in.  Its not ideal to remove features.

TVs have already dropped s-video.  My Plasma was mid range in 2012, and did not have either VGA input or s-video.  However I keep around a Sony Wega for retro gaming.  Of course if that YPbPr mod comes out and looks good I'll just skip s-video and go straight to it. 

thesteve

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »

it works and looks decent
just need wolve to verify my schematic, so we can have boards made

Keith Courage

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 05:30:09 AM »
I prefer S-video myself since I still like to do all of my gaming on a CRT TV. I hate playing games on a flat screen. I can't stand seeing the picture all streched out or a square in the center with black all around it. So for those of us who prefer CRT gaming S-video is still a great option.

jamisonia

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »
How abuot a CRT with YPbPr inputs?  Many of the later SD CRTs had them.  Might I suggest trying to track down a KV-xxFV310.  the xx is the size, which ranges I beleive from 27 to 36".  This TV has a subwoofer inside the TV, better speakers than most TVs.  It also has a 3D Comb Filter which is the best comb filter designed, great for composite only systems (Only the NES remains I believe), and finally the coup de grace for me was 2 YPbPr Inputs, 2 S-video Inputs, and 1 additional Composite only input.  Additionally you can maintain a separate calibrations on the YPbPr and other inputs, and it has a Pro Calibration mode.  Its really the best SD CRT one can find. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »
3D comb filters aren't always the best, but generally any TV with one is a good TV and there are usually lots of options to keep them from interfering with the signal too much. 

And yeah, lots of CRTs have component inputs. All four of mine do.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
You guys are wiring the composite video straight into the Chroma pin?
It goes through a capacitor first so no, it's not straight into the S-video jack. I take it you've never seen S-video on the PCE/TG-16 in action?

I have not yet.  I see it goes through a very small capacitor.  My concern would be since the chroma is already part of composite signal, and has been mixed with Luma, hasn't the damage already been done? 

You'd think so, but while I haven't gotten around to doing this mod, I did do a very similar one on my MkI Genesis and the difference in video quality is HUUUUUGE so I'm sure it could help the PCE as well.

thesteve

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
lol, i game on CRT in pic
i use the flat panel for mod testing

jamisonia

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 02:40:42 AM »
lol, i game on CRT in pic
i use the flat panel for mod testing

Really, I've always preferred a CRT for mod testing because all digital TVs have a delay in establishing a picture, and it will often filter out random noise.  An analog TV shows everything.  Better for troubleshooting video mods if they're not working. 

vxbinaca

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
I prefer S-video myself since I still like to do all of my gaming on a CRT TV. I hate playing games on a flat screen. I can't stand seeing the picture all streched out or a square in the center with black all around it. So for those of us who prefer CRT gaming S-video is still a great option.

You do know that modern LCDs allow you to set aspect ratio of the inputs, right?

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »

You do know that modern LCDs allow you to set aspect ratio of the inputs, right?

If you'd actually read his post you'd see he was quite aware of that.

all streched out or a square in the center with black all around it

bartre

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
so a side note, would there be any way to adapt this so that i could put the jack on a PCE IFU-30?
I'd love to have the S-video option, but i'd have a hard time figuring out where to put the jack on just the system.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
The signal originates in the PCE itself so you'd have to run wires from it to the IFU which would be kind of silly. Many people remove the OEM video socket and replace it with something else like a DIN with more pins on it or whatever.

If you have a white PCE you can just ditch the useless OEM RF socket completely and replace it with a 4 pin mini DIN.

bartre

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
yeah, running a beefcase setup with a CGXI right now, but i may just do that.
what do you think would be the best way to  mount the socket if i were to go the route of replacing it?

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
yeah, running a beefcase setup with a CGXI right now, but i may just do that.
what do you think would be the best way to  mount the socket if i were to go the route of replacing it?

Doujindance has a nice video on youtube showing how he replaces the din socket with one accepting more pins. If you look around you could probably find it on there by searching his name or something. It will be in his RGB mod video I believe.