Author Topic: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)  (Read 4363 times)

Harmik

Re: S-video mod schematic for the schematic illiterate (For TG-16/Duo etc)
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
Easy for you to say :)

Also I like a professional look underneath ( OCD ) 

Marll

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2014, 08:23:07 AM »
I think that I may try this soon. It looks relatively simple and should be able to get all the parts I need at the Fry's Electronics near where I work.

I plan on hooking this up to a Commodore 1702 monitor, which allows for separate Chroma/Luma inputs. I figure the S-Video Mod plus one of the below cables will really make things look nice on that monitor (which looks amazing even with composite).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-6Ft-S-Video-Breakout-Cable-S-Video-Male-Male-RCA-VSA356-/390929793225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b053b40c9

I also recently got a RetroN 3 system, which allows for S-Vid out, so using that cable and monitor I think that the NES/SNES/Genny games I'll be playing will look great too.

Any suggestions or advice on potential pitfalls with this mod? I'm a bit rusty with the ol' soldering iron, but overall this looks very simple.

Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

cjameslv

« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
I think that I may try this soon. It looks relatively simple and should be able to get all the parts I need at the Fry's Electronics near where I work.

I plan on hooking this up to a Commodore 1702 monitor, which allows for separate Chroma/Luma inputs. I figure the S-Video Mod plus one of the below cables will really make things look nice on that monitor (which looks amazing even with composite).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-6Ft-S-Video-Breakout-Cable-S-Video-Male-Male-RCA-VSA356-/390929793225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b053b40c9

I also recently got a RetroN 3 system, which allows for S-Vid out, so using that cable and monitor I think that the NES/SNES/Genny games I'll be playing will look great too.

Any suggestions or advice on potential pitfalls with this mod? I'm a bit rusty with the ol' soldering iron, but overall this looks very simple.

+1 to this man for the necro.

Marll

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
Haha, very true!

At least the last post before me was this year and not something from 2008 I suppose  :oops:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:04:25 AM by Marll »

Marll

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »
Quick question, I see a lot of people talking about retaining composite when doing the s-vid mod. Are there any worries about not being able to get composite vid from the expansion port once the mod is done? I'd like to retain the capability of my CD dock, just adding s-vid to the Turbo.

Also I see that what appears to be the easiest way to mount the s-vid jack is to remove the RF box. For arguments sake, would it be easy (though with case mods) to mound the s-vid on the back of the system?

thesteve

« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
yes S-vid can be done without losing composite
yes if you want to cut a hole you can mount it wherever

Marll

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
That being said it appears that the easiest way to do the s-vid mod would be to remove the RF box and mount the jack in that hole.

What is the preferred method that people use to mound it to the PCB or case?

Does anyone have a preferred parts list/model numbers for the various items required for the mod?

Fidde_se

« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2014, 03:39:20 AM »
Should be noted that Chroma and Luma can be combined to make Composite from S-Video, even temporary when needed.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

Marll

« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Yeah those connectors might come in handy at some point. My plan is to take s-vid from the TG16 and sound from the CD dock.

I don't think I saw one (but maybe I missed it buried in other posts), but is there a parts list for the various components needed for the mod? Like a preferred s-vid jack, transistor, etc.? How do people that do the mod typically prefer to mount the s-vid jack to the system?

pdiggitydogg

« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
These always work well if you need composite instead of s-video at any point  http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Female-Composite-Video-to-S-Video-VHS-Male-Adapter-Connector-Gold-Plated-/301130903739?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item461cccf0bb

I was going to ask about these. Seems to be a good idea if we're "removing" composite for s-video.

Keith Courage

« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »
Hey, I just wanted to post an update on this modification.  Especially when it comes to the background hex pattern that people have been mentioning seeing when the screen scrolls.

I have tested this on many TVs and have found that some Newer HD CRT TVs have this issue where as slightly older CRT TVs do not.

For example I have owned two 36" Sony Trinitron HDCRT TVs. One was made in 2001 and the other 2002. Both TVs show an extreme hex pattern in backgrounds when the screen scrolls using this s-video modification. However any non HD CRT TV I have tried it on looks absolutely perfect with no signs of the hex pattern whatsoever. So wiring is definitely not the problem. I would like to also add that the same TV that has problems with this mod also will not work with Light guns for various systems nor does it appear to have any visible scan-lines even though it is a CRT TV. So be aware that some newer HDCRT TVs may not work well for retro games or this s-video mod and that the picture in general may not be as good as some other CRT TVs from the missing scanlines whether you are going s-video or not.

Not all HDCRT TVs are bad for retro games. I came across a 27" Sanyo HDCRT that still has scanlines, still works with light guns, and displays no hex background pattern when using s-video.

I just wanted to warn people since I've heard of lots of retro gamers getting Sony HDCRT TVs for their gaming. Test before you buy.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:02:57 PM by Keith Courage »

GohanX

« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2014, 02:29:28 AM »
Yeah, I'm not crazy about HDCRTS, they are better than lcd sets for old gaming but not great. Better to get one of the later SD Trinitrons.

pdiggitydogg

« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
I just wish my Mitsubishi megaview was working... I just picked it up for RGB and it died the next day. Was a month the ago. I can't find the service manual...

thesteve

« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »
for most things you dont need the service man
tell us more about this megaview