Author Topic: Lithium Ion battery mod For Turbo express/Pc-engine GT review  (Read 300 times)

HercTNT

Lithium Ion battery mod For Turbo express/Pc-engine GT review
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
The current review is based on the Lithium Ion battery mod for the Turbo express/Pc-engine GT done by Duo-r. The original thread as well as pictures of the mod can be found here http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12241.0

Straight the the point this mod truly rocks. It has to be said though, if your a purist that wants to keep your system stock, this review and mod is not for you. The first thing you notice physically is..........well.......nothing. Duo did a great job hiding the Lithiums inside the battery compartment making sure the system looks completely stock on the outside. The second thing you notice is the system feels lighter. you now need less batteries to get the same if not better performance. A lighter machine is not a bad thing as the TE/GT's are pretty beefy as it is. The core of this review is, does the mod deliver. The answer is absolutely yes!. I have had my machine back for a week now and have been playing off and on and the batteries have not gone dead yet. Even better is i know when i do have to charge, they will charge in less than half the time of my previous NiMH's. One key factor is that i'm not using the stock screen. I'm using a newer screen that is much more efficient than the original increasing battery life over stock units. I can't give an exact figure of battery life as i don't know how charged the batteries were when i recieved them. I can tell you this. My full charged energizer 2500 mah nimh batteries would only make it 4 1/2 hours. I have passed that with the new Lithium's and am still going.

So, what do you do? If you want some of the best mobile turbo gaming that can be had, you send your machine to Thesteve and have him install a brand new, brighter, clearer, larger screen for your TE/GT.  Then you send your machine to Duo-r and have him install the Lithium's so you can enjoy that new screen for hours longer.

Thanks go to Duo-r for the mod!

esteban

Re: Lithium Ion battery mod For Turbo express/Pc-engine GT review
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 05:18:42 AM »
Thanks for the review.

I am torn because I have two TE's in EXCELLENT condition (yes, I use them all the time, I'm just really careful).

I want the mod, but, I feel like I should grab a junker TE instead and mod the heck out of it.

OF COURSE I HAVE NO $$$ NOW, so this is all moot.

I really do love playing on the original hardware (imperfect screen and all), but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'd love to see what an upgraded screen, battery mod, and region mod would be like.

There is truly a time and place for both original and upgraded hardware, IMHO. I'd never kick the orginal hardware to the curb (or out of bed, as it were).

|    | 

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 07:41:30 AM »
i keep a few untouched units around as well

CGQuarterly

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
Wow.  I need to get a turbo express and get it modded by both of those gentlemen.

Chris

BlackandBlue

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
I need to find me a junker to do this mod and upgrade to a larger LCD!
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

soop

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »
definitely agree that pristine units should be left at a cap change, and junked units should benefit from these mods.

turbokon

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
I have done this on my 3.5lcd modded TE as well. However, my battery bay isn't as nice and clean as Duo-r's.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

HercTNT

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »
I have done this on my 3.5lcd modded TE as well. However, my battery bay isn't as nice and clean as Duo-r's.
As long as it works. its amazing how much longer my battery life is. The way duo-r modded my gt i can still use standard batteries if need be.

And please, to anyone else reading, I made it clear in the review that this mod is not for purists. It makes no sense to read this and say that its not for good machines, only junk or whatever. If your saying that, you obviously did not read the review. Its obvious that some of you would not consider doing mods like this to your machines and thats fine. We get it. this mod is for those wanting to get the most out of there old machines in a modern world.

Duo_R

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
Glad you are enjoying it! I can understand the purist side of it too, i have a unit that was the last wave stock from TZD. That sucker got a cap change but that's it. So for purists go get a 2nd unit and mod that sucker up!  :-)

I love this machine wish I had more time to mod more stuff. So many cool ideas so little time!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

turbokon

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 03:54:59 AM »
I love them too. I have 3 TE's, one I left stock beside the cap replacemt, one region/2.5lcd/vid out/external controller mod and one the same except with 3.5lcd and lithium battery mod. These mods make the express experience more enjoyable. I use my TE's more than my home consoles. I take them every where with me. One time I had someone asked me if I worke at UPS:)
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

HercTNT

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
One time I had someone asked me if I worke at UPS:)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed on everything else. for me its just improving the game play!