Author Topic: So I overpaid for 12 case/sleave/hu card/manuals today! Shoud i go back?!?!  (Read 309 times)

Wrex

First time I've ever came across turbo grafx 16 in the wild today!  I got excited and bought it all! (mainly because I found it out in the wild, which is always a thrill).  Really was only looking for Tg-16 controllers, and came across 20 games!

I bought the following with case/sleave/hu card/manual and 3 tg16 controllers for $300.  (I "know" this wasn't a steal, pretty much high retail, but no added shipping cost and I got all of these in one shot today!)  I also didn't own a single Hu Card, sold my collection years ago, but came across another one today! (this was someone's personal collection, not all pieced together which is always cool!!)

Parasol Stars
The Legendary Axe
Military Madness
Sidearms
BravoMan
Cadash
Ordyne
Turrican
Keith Courage
Vigilante
Victory Run
Dungeon Explorer

Now the place where I got this called me back and they had some more games - Should i go back and get these also and keep this person's previous collection all together?

bonk's revenge case/sleave/hu card/manual $34
bonk's adventure case/sleave/hu card/ manual $30
splatterhouse case/sleave/hu card/ manual $45
fantasy zone case/sleave/hu card/ manual $20
jackie chan Manual, case, hucard $39

They give 10% off so i can get the above for $150ish.  I know its very high, but they are all in decent shape and part of a previous collection....what to do....what to do?!?! (they don't neg. here either)

FiftyQuid

Re: So I overpaid for 12 case/sleave/hu card/manuals today! Shoud i go back?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:34 AM »
bonk's revenge case/sleave/hu card/manual $34
bonk's adventure case/sleave/hu card/ manual $30
splatterhouse case/sleave/hu card/ manual $45
fantasy zone case/sleave/hu card/ manual $20

They give 10% off so i can get the above for $150ish.  I know its very high, but they are all in decent shape and part of a previous collection....what to do....what to do?!?! (they don't neg. here either)

The only one that is reasonable in this list is Jackie Chan.  The rest can easily be purchase off eBay for $20 or less w/shipping.

bonk's revenge case/sleave/hu card/manual $15
bonk's adventure case/sleave/hu card/ manual $15
splatterhouse case/sleave/hu card/ manual $20
fantasy zone case/sleave/hu card/ manual $5
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

turboswimbz

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
just my thoughts:
fairly sure Jackie Chan did not have a case originally, but that is a decent price for it.

The BONK's are way, way over even for the brick and mortar shops.  

I'd still haggle on the bonk games, cut them out of the deal if you have to, but they might come down if your going to leave, you never know. bottom line you've got money and are a guaranteed sale, if they don't have enough customer service to at least listen to your complaints about the bonk games then they don't deserve a sale.

Splatterhouse is maybe in the ball park for brick and mortar shops.

bottom line:  you can get all but the Jackie Chan off e-bay for: 60 - 80$

Jackie Chan goes for about $50-100 on ebay right now... TOTAL = $120 - $180 shipped! through e-bay.  and that's right now, without looking around and getting a decent price, I found all my games other than Jackie Chan  for the prices FQ listed. total there = $55  
you'll need to deiced if it's worth it to you to get them instantly through a local place, where you can see and play them first.  

I would say $150 is the most you should pay if you can't wait and need to have it, BUT
being you already spent $300 there, $100 is a much better mark of what is Fair IMO for brick and mortar.  

I'm sure others will have different points of view of course.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:03:10 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Sadler

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
In my experience, shops that specialize in retro games generally price things very high. There are some tricks that can get you down to reasonable prices though:

1) Shoot the shit with the store owners. Many times I've had discounts given just because of similar interests in retro gaming. Know what you are talking about, be polite and ask them for suggestions on games they like. Don't be overbearing though. If other customers are in the store, politely wait your turn. If someone comes in while you are talking with the guys, step aside and let the store do their business.

2) Be prepared to overpay the first trip. This doesn't mean taking things at the marked price, but don't haggle too much. Show them that you respect them and you understand that they wouldn't be in business if they hooked everyone up.

3) Ask for discounts. "Can you do a deal if I get X, Y and Z?" goes a long way. "I really love X, Y and Z but I don't think I can do more than $W for it."

You've already got a good thing going where they are calling you to give you first pick. The goal now is to lower their prices to something within reason. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
Definitely highish prices - I wouldn't go back for more unless they're willing cut you a break.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Wrex

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
I'm usually the guy always looking for bargains.....just hurt me to just walk away from someone's collection when it was right in front of me...lol they finally got me.  I may try to haggle them down also since I spent so much today.  Possibly shoot for $100-120 for it all would be a decent price.

turboswimbz

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
I'm usually the guy always looking for bargains.....just hurt me to just walk away from someone's collection when it was right in front of me...lol they finally got me.  I may try to haggle them down also since I spent so much today.  Possibly shoot for $100-120 for it all would be a decent price.

yeah and as it was stated earlier, building a rep. is always good too, so it might not be all bad, I have a local guy who now gives me -$10 bucks on the lowest amazon price - what ever fees he'd have to pay to amazon/e-bay on turbo stuff.  but it took a while of buying stuff and talking to him.     
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
Yes, the stuff is cheaper on eBay, but f*ck eBay.

I say talk the guy down a bit and buy it. You should reward a place for stocking cool stuff. If you don't, they'll go out of business and be replaced buy a CVS or a nail place or some shit.

CPU64

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:54:14 PM »
I agree, only place I have around here that carries HU/CD has 5-6 games and are all priced based on ebay's highest prices. :(
Saw Splatterhouse there, which I want, for 39.99 w/o book.