Author Topic: Which of the bombermans has the better battle music?  (Read 963 times)

kazekirifx

Re: Which of the bombermans has the better battle music?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »
They should have made new music for '93. Reused music = lame.

soop

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 12:25:19 AM »
I don't know about the music, but '94 has rooeys.  Insta-win.

Tatsujin

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:46 AM »

I couldn't more disagree.

first BM battlemusic is just very perfect for this game, and so is the gameplay of BM'93.

this mix together = best BM game ever made.

true and undeniable story!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:55 AM »

Lame music = lame music.

Great music = great music.

Most "legendary" series reuse music, like Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

kazekirifx

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 01:57:56 PM »
Most "legendary" series reuse music, like Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.

Unless you're talking about JPN Mario 2, no they don't. They've reused themes, but not the exact same frigging track.

Tatsujin

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
It's the battle stage, why does one need new music when the old one is done perfectest well?
www.pcedaisakusen.net

kazekirifx

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
It's the battle stage, why does one need new music when the old one is done perfectest well?

Oh right. When the original game has perfectly good music, every sequel should just reuse the whole soundtrack of the orgiinal game. No sense in making anything new when everything is already so good to begin with.

If you had already played the hell outta the battle mode in the original Bomberman before getting '93, wouldn't you be already kinda sick of the music by then, no matter how good it is?

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »

Oh right. When the original game has perfectly good music, every sequel should just reuse the whole soundtrack of the orgiinal game. No sense in making anything new when everything is already so good to begin with.

If you had already played the hell outta the battle mode in the original Bomberman before getting '93, wouldn't you be already kinda sick of the music by then, no matter how good it is?

lol, it's not the whole game, that's why it's called "Battle Mode". It's a totally bonus mini game that happened to be so good (reused bgm and all), that it became the main draw for so many people. If you can get sick of a bgm in a single game, then it doesn't matter if the next game reuses a single track. It already made people sick the first time.

But if every bgm is sickening a second time it's used, then it doesn't matter if other game sequels technically use new instruments or tweak it a bit. You're still going to be just as sick if you're so sensitive. Luckily, the rest of us aren't. :)

Tatsujin

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
lol, it's not the whole game, that's why it's called "Battle Mode". It's a totally bonus mini game that happened to be so good (reused bgm and all), that it became the main draw for so many people.

lol, already funny enough that you have to explain this to someone.

and I'm certain about, that everyone preferes to hear some new music in a new game/sequel (as long the music is listenable). but in the case of the bomberman's battle music, there is so no reason to have changed anything. and that has the least to do with lameness etc. it was just perfect as it was, and they kinda ruined it for me by changing the bgm in BM'94 by this much more peppless tune.
best would have been the option to choose between the old and the new one, since you already can choose a hell of options in BM'94. why not the BGM as well?

I think in this poll, the nostalgic factor plays a big role as well, if you had played BM back in its early days when there was no '93 and '94 around, or you probably started playing bomberman many years later probably started also with BM'94 first.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:23:24 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

esteban

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:26 AM »

lol, it's not the whole game, that's why it's called "Battle Mode". It's a totally bonus mini game that happened to be so good (reused bgm and all), that it became the main draw for so many people. If you can get sick of a bgm in a single game, then it doesn't matter if the next game reuses a single track. It already made people sick the first time.

But if every bgm is sickening a second time it's used, then it doesn't matter if other game sequels technically use new instruments or tweak it a bit. You're still going to be just as sick if you're so sensitive. Luckily, the rest of us aren't. :)

You and tatsujin are crazy!

kazekirifx and I would love for their to be, at the very least, an OPTION to choose the music. I buy a new game, I'd love to get something FRESH, especially since the gameplay/graphics in Bomberman games were not radically different.

Surely, you can't deny that it would have been nice if we had, at the very least, another variation/arrangement/remix of the song that you love.

I would have liked an entirely new composition, of course. But that's because I'm barmy.

I guess we're all crazy, then.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 04:44:24 AM »

kazekirifx and I would love for their to be, at the very least, an OPTION to choose the music. I buy a new game, I'd love to get something FRESH, especially since the gameplay/graphics in Bomberman games were not radically different.

Surely, you can't deny that it would have been nice if we had, at the very least, another variation/arrangement/remix of the song that you love.

I would have liked an entirely new composition, of course. But that's because I'm barmy.

Were you also disappointed by the shared chip tunes of the Dungeon Explorer, Bonk and Ys games? Because I had the opposite reaction the first time I heard them in sequels. Because it was only a track or two amidst an entirely new soundtrack. All of these games also reuse sprites, was that also disappointing?

It's not the technicality that a single bgm was used again, it is all about how it was done. The Battle Mode in the original Bomberman was a crude prototype. It was like the bonus games on Implode. Bomberman '93 was driving home how big of a deal the attention given to its Battle Mode was, but keeping the original theme and stage. It points out how the first games' Battle Mode was really just a preview, like a movie trailer or really, a teaser of what was to come. Of course EVEN more options would be nice, but this is a specific case where the re-use of a bgm was more appropriate (not simply tolerable) than a remix or entirely new track. If it seems out of place while retroactively discovering the games out of sequence, simply tell yourself that Bomberman '93 came first and let regular Bomberman seem lame.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:55:57 AM by Black Tiger »

esteban

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »

Were you also disappointed by the shared chip tunes of the Dungeon Explorer, Bonk and Ys games? Because I had the opposite reaction the first time I heard them in sequels. Because it was only a track or two amidst an entirely new soundtrack. All of these games also reuse sprites, was that also disappointing?

It's not the technicality that a single bgm was used again, it is all about how it was done. The Battle Mode in the original Bomberman was a crude prototype. It was like the bonus games on Implode. Bomberman '93 was driving home how big of a deal the attention given to its Battle Mode was, but keeping the original theme and stage. It points out how the first games' Battle Mode was really just a preview, like a movie trailer or really, a teaser of what was to come. Of course EVEN more options would be nice, but this is a specific case where the re-use of a bgm was more appropriate (not simply tolerable) than a remix or entirely new track. If it seems out of place while retroactively discovering the games out of sequence, simply tell yourself that Bomberman '93 came first and let regular Bomberman seem lame.

I played the hell out of Bomberman. 5-player awesomeness, though I usually had 3-4 player bouts. In retrospect, you can call it a crude prototype (I don't dispute that, from a 2012 perspective), but back in the day, it was all we had, so it certainly never felt like "merely a prototype". IT WAS BOMBERMAN .

Later, I played the hell out of Bomberman '93 when it was released.

I would have loved extra tunes and extra character designs (or, even if it they were merely color-swapped sprites! I'm easy to please! Really, I am! Let me feel like I'm getting something for my $$$).

I don't mind recycling content...but Battle Mode should always offer a variety of songs (a healthy dollop of "new" to freshen the old), IMHO.

I love you Black_Tiger, and I feel like you, like me, would appreciate some more variety in Battle Mode! . Battle Mode alone deserves a playlist of at least 8 original songs, IMHO. I CAN DREAM.

DUNGEON EXPLORER: As discussed in the past, DE is one of the best PSG soundtracks in PCE universe (and, I'd argue, one of the best "chiptune soundtracks" on any platform). I love all those songs, even the song that plays in the royal chamber. BUT, do I wish that DE2 offered 100% NEW + OLD options for the soundtrack? HELL YES! The more options, the better! Like I said earlier, I CAN DREAM. I am describing my ideal, where capitalistic realities don't compromise the wealth of artistic content provided by software releases. DE2 is one of my fave 5-player experiences. DE2's Red Book version of original PSG tunes  = gorgeous! I suppose, if Bomberman '93 offered Red Book tracks + PSG, then I wouldn't be as cranky!!!!

Be gentle, comrade. Don't crush my fantasies .
  |    | 

kazekirifx

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
But if every bgm is sickening a second time it's used, then it doesn't matter if other game sequels technically use new instruments or tweak it a bit.

Total BS. It DOES matter. You mean like how they "tweaked" the Zelda theme, as in your earlier example, for all the later games on other systems? Nah. Guess they had might as well just kept reusing the original NES version for every game, as is.

And, yes, I did find the reused music in Bonk's Revenge to be a bit disappointing.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 04:03:43 AM »
Recycled awesome music is preferable to new-but-not-so-great tunes, but new and awesome music is even better.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

esteban

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »
Recycled awesome music is preferable to new-but-not-so-great tunes, but new and awesome music is even better.

This is always the dilemma when furthering a series: stay with the proven (snuggly!) or risk it all (epic fail vs. epic win).

That's why I feel there is a third, TOTALLY SAFE route to go: always provide an option for "old, proven songs" as an alternative "classic" soundtrack to the BRAND NEW soundtrack.
http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Altered_Beast/Track_06.mp3

AMIRITE?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:44:08 AM by esteban »
  |    |