Author Topic: Shockman Prices?  (Read 1225 times)

turboswimbz

Shockman Prices?
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »
So it seems like the pricing on Shockman games are just silly, of course I've only come across them on eBay ($50 - $150) and 1 local store ($75).  This game doesn't seem that super rare to me, based on the fact that for a late release there seems to be a fair amount floating around.
$50 with no manual? seems like a lot.  Anyone know why they are so high?  (is this just another case of fanboy/super collectors: oh I need it to complete my collection, so I'll pay)  Also, Just wondering if anyone picked it up recently at something a little more reasonable?  For that matter is the game good enough to pay that amount?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: Shockman Prices?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:43 AM »
So it seems like the pricing on Shockman games are just silly, of course I've only come across them on eBay ($50 - $150) and 1 local store ($75).  This game doesn't seem that super rare to me, based on the fact that for a late release there seems to be a fair amount floating around.
$50 with no manual? seems like a lot.  Anyone know why they are so high?  (is this just another case of fanboy/super collectors: oh I need it to complete my collection, so I'll pay)  Also, Just wondering if anyone picked it up recently at something a little more reasonable?  For that matter is the game good enough to pay that amount?

Its not as common as you'd think. Usually when I check the going rate is erratic, and there is never more then 1 or 2 copies up at a time , if that (only two copies listed for sale now on ebay, and my one copy available here for trade). The actual list of completed auctions for the game this year can be viewed here:

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/turbografx-16/shockman#completed-auctions

Basically just 19 copies listed to tide over thousands of TG16 collectors.

Take into account a few of these copies may be the same copy being passed around from person to person too, and you also may have  a couple of people buying specifically to do the 150 dollar mark up. Personally, if you are going to throw down some cash, I don't recommend paying more then $75 for a copy with the manual. $55 seems to be a fair price for it loose with no manual. Like all things, on ebay, the bidders demand dictates the going rate. If you are extremely patient you could hold out for a loose copy and one will eventually pop up for a low BIN or low bid below $40. But as always, its a waiting game when you do that. The game is fun and all, but better played as a 2 player game then as a single player one. After you beat it once your desire to go back to it probably wont be any time soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:00:27 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

turboswimbz

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:00 AM »
I'm starting to think that in fact what I'm witnessing is the passing around of a few copies, making it seem like there are more than there are.  I really looked into just now, I will pick it up I'm sure, as always after waiting for one to go under the radar.  AS I hit the more rare games, I'm finding it takes more and more time to get a decent copy of stuff, and ebay sellers/buyers are just freaking stupid, prices are all over the place.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

turboswimbz

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:06:17 AM »
And I'm actually wondering more about the gameplay itself now, anyone have a good review link or imput?  I hate expensive games with crappy gameplay. Call me crazy for playing them all. I just find it interesting that the game goes for as much as a few others that seemed to have a lower release amount. but i've also noticed that games seem to go for 10 - 20 - 50  with very little selling in the 25-45 range, for whatever reason.

hoobs88

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:12 AM »
It was always in the $45-50 price range but recently I have seen it listed on ebay for $75. I think people are trying to gouge with it as that is the trend with OMG rarez   :roll:
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase

Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0

League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

FiftyQuid

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:32:19 AM »
I'll chime in since I feel like I have a bit of experience when it comes to purchasing Shockman.  I have had 3 copies in my possession at one time.  Today, I still have 2 copies.  Of the 3 copies, I purchased two off eBay and the third I picked up in a private sale.  The two eBay copies I picked up for $39.99 (w/manual) and the second was $42 (w/manual). 

It seems that depending on your location, this title is rare.  For some reason it seems people on the west coast don't run into this title often.  I'm in the east (Ontario), and like I said I have had 3 copies.

You should not have to pay over $40 for this title.  That's hu card AND manual.  If you want the box and tray, well that's another story.  Why the prices are so high I can't say other than there seems to be a huge surge in retro collecting this year and prices are just getting stupid.  It's definitely buyer beware.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »
I've seen it online for <$30 several times in 2012 and also bought one for myself at that price.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »
Honestly, Id have to ask this because the only real online reference check for this games going rate seems to be ebay, and I'd prefer to not just take someones word for it, is there any compiled list of legit completed transactions for this game from 2010 and 2011? And when I ask that I mean more then 2 or 3 just done on this forum? And I ask this because I know for a fact the last time I collected PCE stuff the game was going for $80 sumthin still (2007-2009). I know this because I had to research it and sell a copy for a friend a few years back.

And its unfortunate, but rare games do tend to simply go up in value as more people get into the hobby. Just like in any other market, a sudden influx of customers and not enough items to go around is going to drive up price of desired items. Its a part of supply and demand. Unless everyone agrees on a certain going price, AND is willing to partake in listing their own copies all at once in some meaningful number to set a new steady price trend, then there isn't much you can do but throw your hands up in the air and walk away if you don't like the current rates, ebay or otherwise. In other words its TOGTFO. The only other choice you have is to hold out and wait and maybe something will happen like what happened with Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2, where a sudden influx of new sealed copies hit the market for cheap. While highly unlikely, it is possible.

Also, I think I have made my thoughts clear on this title before, but just for the sake of it I will repeat it here. Fun wise I don't view this game as worth getting for the $60-75 range unless you have 2 player ability and someone who would like to play this with you. As a single player game it is hard in spots and you may not feel the single player experience is worth the asking price. I definitely don't. Personally I don't even feel as a single player game you will get $50 bucks of fun out of it. This is one of those titles that to me you really need to load the rom up before buying and make sure you play it enough to decide how much its worth paying for, because its rarity dictates its value more then its fun/replay value. Then again, I feel the same way about Double Dragon 2 on Pce, and people pay stupid amounts for it all the time, way more then they spend on Shockman on average.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:53:43 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:20 AM »
I got my shockman for 14.95 used, locally, loose 5 years ago.

That's the closest I got for a price history.

And that was before the market for Turbo games went f*cking retarded.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »
I got my shockman for 14.95 used, locally, loose 5 years ago.

That's the closest I got for a price history.

And that was before the market for Turbo games went f*cking retarded.

Every now and then people get lucky and find stuff all the time at local stores like Vintage Stock and other shops that sell used books and games, etc. Even now there are deals to be had as long as the shop owners don't rely on online prices when they go to price stuff. While it doesn't mean that will happen for everyone, people get lucky all the time. Just takes persistence and patience. I have found all sorts of stuff in the wild all the time when I do my local shopping. For me the rare stuff I am really interested in in the wild is older computer stuff (software and hardware). Just recently I scored a nice AT Super Socket 7 build that I gutted (sharing the wealth, the SS7 board is going to Herc along with a SB Live and 3DFX Banshee card, etc).

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:33:22 AM »
I wish the whole retrogaming thing didn't go apeshit like it has.

YOu used to walk into the record exchange ("The Exchange") and buy NES shit for 1$.    Battle of Olympus is like 10$ now.

Contra?  8 or 9$ 

Mine still has the 2.50$ pricetag on it.

the only thing thats changed is peoples perception of the shit.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »
Yeah to pick up Contra on Nes here locally now will run you about $20 or so, which is even more then ebay average going prices. This seems to be a going trend of places like GameXchange now, set a price a few bucks higher then the ebay going average, and stick it in a glass case and wait for a sucker to buy it. Odds are someone will, for as many collectors and gamers as you have shopping on ebay or online, you still have a ton that don't and rely specifically on local game stores, who just so happen screw them with a smile on their face every time they walk in the store.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
I go in and see if they have anything cheap sometimes.  I hate when its clamshell sega games with no manuals.  I have to go ask some dickbag to open the cabinet, then he gives you some shpeel about how cool the game is, only to find out its missing the manual or the cartridge looks like it fell in a pile of shit.

At least the one store I go to, they price things sanely, the guy working actually played the games when they were out, and he can usually tell you if the manual is there before opening it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:52:32 AM »
Honestly, Id have to ask this because the only real online reference check for this games going rate seems to be ebay, and I'd prefer to not just take someones word for it, is there any compiled list of legit completed transactions for this game from 2010 and 2011? And when I ask that I mean more then 2 or 3 just done on this forum? And I ask this because I know for a fact the last time I collected PCE stuff the game was going for $80 sumthin still (2007-2009). I know this because I had to research it and sell a copy for a friend a few years back.

And its unfortunate, but rare games do tend to simply go up in value as more people get into the hobby. Just like in any other market, a sudden influx of customers and not enough items to go around is going to drive up price of desired items. Its a part of supply and demand. Unless everyone agrees on a certain going price, AND is willing to partake in listing their own copies all at once in some meaningful number to set a new steady price trend, then there isn't much you can do but throw your hands up in the air and walk away if you don't like the current rates, ebay or otherwise. In other words its TOGTFO. The only other choice you have is to hold out and wait and maybe something will happen like what happened with Exile and Cosmic Fantasy 2, where a sudden influx of new sealed copies hit the market for cheap. While highly unlikely, it is possible.

Also, I think I have made my thoughts clear on this title before, but just for the sake of it I will repeat it here. Fun wise I don't view this game as worth getting for the $60-75 range unless you have 2 player ability and someone who would like to play this with you. As a single player game it is hard in spots and you may not feel the single player experience is worth the asking price. I definitely don't. Personally I don't even feel as a single player game you will get $50 bucks of fun out of it. This is one of those titles that to me you really need to load the rom up before buying and make sure you play it enough to decide how much its worth paying for, because its rarity dictates its value
more then its fun/replay value. Then again, I feel the same way about Double Dragon 2 on Pce, and people pay stupid amounts for it all the time, way more then they spend on Shockman on average.

I saw a couple sell on eBay this year for <$30. The only two copies if Turbo Dynastic Hero that I've seen listed on eBay at all this year both sold for $50. Unfortunately, eBay shortened the completed listing history to favor gouging.

Shockman is one of the formally overpriced Turbo games that has been steadily coming down in price in gouging circles for a while now. Just like how noobs used to believe that $70 was the cheapest you could expect to find Air Zonk for, which now also sells for $20 - $30 on eBay.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:56:19 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Lost Monkey

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Mine sold on eBay for $75 about a month and a half ago.  It was about as close to new as you could get.