Author Topic: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games  (Read 2298 times)

T.A.P.

I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:32:19 AM »
I've tried repeatedly to get into them, but they just never click for me. They just feel like generic 90's platformers to me.

For those of you that enjoy them, what is it about them you like?

FiftyQuid

Re: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:34:40 AM »
I've tried repeatedly to get into them, but they just never click for me. They just feel like generic 90's platformers to me.

For those of you that enjoy them, what is it about them you like?
They are generic 90's platformers, but you're playing them on the TurboGrafx-16.  The spin attack and just the general humour of the game is what made them unique.  At the time, these games were some of the most colourful games ever produced.  Myself, I enjoy the music and the bosses.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 05:36:47 AM »
Do you like platformers, or not so much?  I think that they're cool, but if you're not that into the genre, then I could see why you don't enjoy them.  I think they have great graphics and sound, tight controls, cool environments (level variation and atmosphere), and unique gameplay elements.  Can't really ask for much more out of a cartoony, kid-friendly platformer.

Chris

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »
Ahhhh!  Blasphemy! Bonk rules!

TheClash603

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:12:56 AM »
The spin mechanic is what made the game different and worthwhile.  Additionally, the graphics are bright and fun, and some of the enemies are really funny and there is more charm to the game than most platformers.

Only thing I never liked about the game was climbing or swimming, wish that wasn't in there.  Otherwise, it is a lot of fun.

...New Adventure Island is better  :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
What I've always loved about the Turbo/PCE Bonk games is how much they don't feel like generic 90's platformers to me. Too many 16-bit (and SMS) platformers tried to fit a generic mold for 16-bit platformers that was heavily influenced by the Sonic series. They would build an engine around too-huge jumps and flying around and minimized actual platforming... and then just shoehorned in the rest of the game as an afterthought. Most platformers in general also have uninspired character designs and art. Bonk feels unique and fun as a game (with great design and stage layout), but the art and aesthetics really tie it together and make it a very special and solid all-round experience. This is made all the more apparent by non-Turbo Bonk games that broke the experience by failing to maintain too many of the aspects that make Bonk great.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

HercTNT

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »
Agreed, i love bonk for how it feels different than other platformers. How you feel about it though depends on how much you like platformers from the get go.

turboswimbz

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
Bonk's Adventure was the first game I ever played as a kid.  So to me every other 90 platformer is just a copy of Bonk.  I still play them today from time to time. here's what keeps me coming back:  
1) I love the artwork, graphics and fun themes.  
2) The games sound great and play well.  
3) They had enough variety with the bonus games and such to allow for some replay value too.
4) The spin and head bonk aspect still make me smile everytime I play.  
5) I thought that the games also where challenging enough without being fustrating.

To play the other side, No there isn't anything that AMAZING about the bonk series.  It's just a good solid series. Which still hard to come by, and harder yet on the TG16.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:18:51 AM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

CPTRAVE

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
The artwork ,sound, the colors are great, its a game where you can relax and enjoy it, it is not stressful at all.  :P

Drakon

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
Everything.  Even the music.  There's a definite theme going on with these games.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

tggodfrey

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
In my eyes. they were revolutionary when they came out.  Colors. graphics, concepts were differnt than the 8 bit molds that mario produced.  Many of us grew up with them as they came out and that adds a great deal of interest becuase you get to relive the enjoyment you had back then.  thats what it is for me.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

vestcoat

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »
In my eyes. they were revolutionary when they came out.  Colors. graphics, concepts were differnt than the 8 bit molds that mario produced. 

I can't speak for Bonk's Adventure because I didn't play it until the late Nineties, but Bonk's Revenge was pretty impressive when it came out. The graphics and sound really felt like a 16-bit title and something new.

These days, Bonk's Adventure is the only game in the series that continues to stand out for me. The play control is better and it doesn't get bogged down with an excess of bonus rounds.

KnightWarrior

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
I like all Bonk Games

TurboGrafx/NES/Game Boy

Bonk's Adventure on the TG-16 is better

HercTNT

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
Gameboy and nes bonks are decently made. i play them from time to time. they are just not as good as the turbo versions.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
You have to remember, when these games came out there wasn't Sonic or Mario World (at least for the first game) and what you really had to compare to other plat-formers at the time were pretty much 8 bit NES/SMS games so in that sense it was definitely revolutionary. I am curious though when Bonk's Revenge came out in Japan and compare it to the release of Mario World and Sonic to see which came first. Otherwise, I think they are pretty good games and deserve some praise.