Author Topic: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games  (Read 2296 times)

NightWolve

Re: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »
In my eyes. they were revolutionary when they came out.  Colors. graphics, concepts were differnt than the 8 bit molds that mario produced.  

I can't speak for Bonk's Adventure because I didn't play it until the late Nineties, but Bonk's Revenge was pretty impressive when it came out. The graphics and sound really felt like a 16-bit title and something new.

These days, Bonk's Adventure is the only game in the series that continues to stand out for me. The play control is better and it doesn't get bogged down with an excess of bonus rounds.

I kinda agree, I think the first one is actually the best game overall. When Bonk's Revenge came out, I was impressed by the colorful graphics but I just didn't like it as much in the end; I was happy to have rented and beaten it though. As for Bonk III (which I bought after TTi was going out of business), while it's cool that Bonk can go all super-size taking up about 1/3 of the screen flicker-free, and that it provided another decent adventure game for the system, I was really bothered by the background music; it really just bored the shit out of me... My judgment though is limited by the fact that it was a long time ago since I beat it and any time I've fired it up, I can't seem to force myself past the 1st level's boring music... It just makes me go, "Eh, no thanks... Bye."

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
Yeah, the music took a nose dive in Bonk 3.  I think it's partially because of them using a different sound engine.  Any bongo's you hear in Bonk 3, are very tame compared to 1 & 2.  But even in general, the music lost some of it's Bonkness.  For me, it wasn't until Super Bonk 2, that the Bonk soundtracks started improving again(though, there was too much wacky music in that one), & then ofcoarse, that ended up being the last new Bonk game.  Super Bonk 1 had a few redeeming tracks, but it bored me even more then Bonk 3's music.

Tatsujin

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
for me as well 1 > 2 >> 3.

what does make pc genjin / bonk so special is the fact that it IS so special.
it's fresh and great gameplay, it's humor, very nice level design and grafics, it's music/FX and last but not least the character itself, which is one of the cutest and unique ever created in the whole world of video games.

how can one not like it is beyond my comprehension.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

fragmare

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 01:28:10 AM »
I can understand you not seeing the big hubbub about Bonk's Adventure, but Bonk's Revenge?  Bonk's Revenge is the shit, flat out.  Easily makes the list of top 10 16-bit era platform games.  Maybe even top 5.

Mathius

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 02:36:47 AM »
Bonk's Adventure has a certain magic and charm to it that the others lack. Take the music that plays as you are being lowered into a boss chamber-it really sets a mood that isn't replicated in any other game on any platform.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

420GOAT

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »
what? ....get out. i like the baby caveman or kid concept. i like that he chews his way up cliffs and shit. he has no weapons besides his naugen. he gets hot when he eats meat. he makes dinosaurs cry. thats just the beginning.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

turbokon

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 07:25:52 AM »
Bonk's Adventure has a certain magic and charm to it that the others lack. Take the music that plays as you are being lowered into a boss chamber-it really sets a mood that isn't replicated in any other game on any platform.

I love that part too!! I enjoy the play mechanic, the soundtracks and the graphics of the bosses. Couldn't get into bonk 3 though.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

TheClash603

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
Anyone ever play Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck?

That was a game that obviously ripped off some of the Bonk charm, but was a lot of fun.  Don't know why I just thought of that...

KingDrool

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 08:27:58 AM »
From a gameplay standpoint, sure, these games aren't mindblowing. Yet there are a lot of aspects that are pretty unique to the series. But like a lot of folks have already said, it's the overall feel of the games that really make it for me; at least the first two games. They're colorful as hell, the music is fantastic, and Bonk and the side cast of characters are so damn endearing. Bonk's Adventure is my favorite game of all time, and though I admit much of that is due to nostalgia, it's also because it's a really great game.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
Anyone ever play Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck?

That was a game that obviously ripped off some of the Bonk charm, but was a lot of fun.  Don't know why I just thought of that...
That and Joe and Mac. I haven't played any of those games in years.

Bardoly

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
The Joe & MAC games are great!  I've played both 1 and 2 this year (on the SNES) and really enjoyed them, although I haven't beaten either one yet.

But yes, I agree that they were probably influenced in some way by the Bonk games (which are quite good, by the way).

turboswimbz

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
I love joe and mack, influenced maybe, but it doesn't have the same flow and awesome-ness bonk does.  + the end of joe and mac gets annoying as shit, way to fustrating trying to make it the end of the stages.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Tatsujin

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »
Joe & mac was only fun in the arcade.
the snes port was a big downgrade and the
stretched levels were not the best idea to
make the game more enjoyable.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »
I've tried repeatedly to get into them, but they just never click for me. They just feel like generic 90's platformers to me.

For those of you that enjoy them, what is it about them you like?

ANSWER: I have no choice. PRINCESS ZA NEEDS TO GET BACK TO MOONLAND. I must help her.

http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Slime_World/Slime_World_05.mp3
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:55:36 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

HercTNT

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
Joe & mac was only fun in the arcade.
the snes port was a big downgrade and the
stretched levels were not the best idea to
make the game more enjoyable.

sorry tats, gotta disagree with you on this one. joe and mac arcade is no doubt a great game, but also very hard. you can beat it, as with any arcade game, if you shove in enough quarters. the snes version may have been missing some stuff, but it was beatable within the confines of the difficulty settings, and still very enjoyable.