Author Topic: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games  (Read 2300 times)

RegalSin

Re: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »
1. Platformer is just the western word for J-rpg becuase they can't just say action, game.
Western videogames had no idea, all we had in the west was tron and Atari before Super Mario Brothers.

2. Bonk is what is called a Dinosaur game. Dinosaur game genre, took place in a bushy world,
with a prehistoric character, and would proceed in a j-rpg ( Adventure island/Wonder boy ) fashion. What is so auwsome about that game is their are sooo many things to interact with
in the world itself, and the funny animations. If you ever played Doramon, or other games like this, you will understand.

3. Another way to look at this is a starter game, like Kirby. Kirby was made for young kids, who never played a videogame before, and was meant for people to have something to enjoy, at the same time. Boink does just that, a great game to play for a beginer.

Boink is a great series, NEC just screwed up the PCE by making the DUO series, and then the
Super Grafx. Everybody in the west, was high on NES.

Bernie

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:37 PM »
 :-s :-s :-s :-k :-k :-k  Are you, um.... RETARDED?? :-k :-k :-k

Posted by: RegalSin
1. Platformer is just the western word for J-rpg becuase they can't just say action, game.
Western videogames had no idea, all we had in the west was tron and Atari before Super Mario Brothers.

2. Bonk is what is called a Dinosaur game. Dinosaur game genre, took place in a bushy world,
with a prehistoric character, and would proceed in a j-rpg ( Adventure island/Wonder boy ) fashion. What is so auwsome about that game is their are sooo many things to interact with
in the world itself, and the funny animations. If you ever played Doramon, or other games like this, you will understand.

3. Another way to look at this is a starter game, like Kirby. Kirby was made for young kids, who never played a videogame before, and was meant for people to have something to enjoy, at the same time. Boink does just that, a great game to play for a beginer.

Boink is a great series, NEC just screwed up the PCE by making the DUO series, and then the

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

Uh, my brain just went potty on reading that comment.
:-s :-s :-s :-k :-k :-k  Are you, um.... RETARDED?? :-k :-k :-k
I wouldn't say retarded, more like if someone had a crashing hard drive for a brain.

HercTNT

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 04:15:54 PM »

Uh, my brain just went potty on reading that comment.
:-s :-s :-s :-k :-k :-k  Are you, um.... RETARDED?? :-k :-k :-k
I wouldn't say retarded, more like if someone had a crashing hard drive for a brain.

LOL, diskchecker is finding bad sectors  :D

Tatsujin

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
I see your point reg. quater munching arcade games, which is a generel problem of arcade games. is and ever was.
but j&m on arcade was a pure actionloaded and very dynamic fastpaced game,
whilst the snes port was slow and lost almost all of its initial arcade flair.
Kinda like the boring but also stretched port of toki for the genesis.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

NightWolve

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
LOL, diskchecker is finding bad sectors  :D

This is the best analogy that I've heard for him so far! A brain with a lot of bad sectors and occasional reading problems even with good ones! ;) Nail on his head...

esteban

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 06:02:30 AM »

QUESTION: What is so great about Bonk?

ANSWER:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:06:28 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

turboswimbz

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 06:06:22 AM »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 06:55:50 AM »
Unless you don't like platformers in general, I don't get how you can't like Bonk and his cute/funny/colorful art, bouncy tunes, and perfect controls.  Is there something specific that you don't like about 'em, or are you here just to stir up muck?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

KingDrool

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »
This is probably the tenth time I've seen Regal refer to platform games like Kirby as "J-RPGs". And every time, my brain twitches and I become one step closer to an embolism.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
I've tried repeatedly to get into them, but they just never click for me. They just feel like generic 90's platformers to me.

For those of you that enjoy them, what is it about them you like?

There's dinosaurs.  You hit shit with your head.  The music is excellent.

Also, you end up in space!

Climbing with face = <3

The flowers are exciting to bounce off of.

there is nothing generic about these games really.  You don't climb with your face in Mario, Sonic can't bash his face into volcano jive, Mario is worthless in water without a frog suit or fireballs.   Bonk still bashes with his face underwater, and heck, Sonic drowns if he's underwater too long.   

Bonk? Hell no.  He's sweet.

Give him spicy meat foods and watch him destroy everything. 

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
Bonk is rad!
End of thread.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

KnightWarrior

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »
I played Bonk's Adventure on the Game Boy though the Super Game Boy, Got all the way to Round 4 Boss easy game...

esteban

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »

To build on what Arkhan said:

AT ITS VISCERAL CORE, THE BONK GAMES PROVIDE VERY SATISFYING VIOLENCE: those moments when you perfectly time a head-butt, and then use the resulting momentum to land another well-placed head-butt, and on, and on.

I'd liken the Bonk head-butt to Gogan's (Legendary Axe) fully-powered axe: it just feels so damn sweet when a well-timed swing SMASHES an opponent.

But, with Bonk, it's better than Gogan's axe! There are gymnastics in Bonk (spinning, springing, multiple hits, trying to stay airborne as long as possible) that most games (including Legendary Axe) lack.

Thankfully, there is a rewarding CRUNCH-KRAK-THUNDERCLAP in Bonk that accentuates a solid hit.

...intermission...

QUESTION: Esteban, what are some of the most satisfying moments of violence in Bonk series?

ANSWER: Personally, I love freezing my opponents and then obliterating them with a head-butt. If I can take out multiple enemies without hitting the ground (staying airborne), I have an orgasm. Some boss battles are fantastic because they encourage you to remain airborne by repeatedly headbutting objects (be they projectiles, bubbles, or boss itself).

NOTE: I won't discuss all the other other elements that work in the series (mood, atmosphere, character design, consistency/logic of Bonk Universe, etc.)
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:14 AM »
I've asked myself the same question. PCE fans like Bonk because that's what they have. Sure, they say they prefer Bonk to Mario and Sonic but if Mario or Sonic were on PCE they wouldn't be talking shit about it, that's for sure. They'd be gushing over Super Mario World or Sonic 2 on PCE, but they aren't there, so they gush over Bonk. They are fanboys, period.

There are much better platformers than Bonk out there...but probably not on PCE. PCE has a fairly large selection of EXTREMELY similar and generic platformers and side scrolling RPGs, but somehow Bonk stands alone, particularly the second one.

When compared to the entire spectrum of 8 and 16 bit platformers...its B grade, there are a few aspects of it that are really cool. The spin Bonk move, and how its variable based on the two turbo settings and manual. The comical characters, especially all the dudes working on the ship.

Also, the experience of the straight up standard *bonk*. Like, you just walk up to a guy at point blank range and *bonk* his ass right off the f*cking screen, its very satisfying, even when you've been playing the game for hours.