Author Topic: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games  (Read 2282 times)

esteban

Re: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
I've asked myself the same question. PCE fans like Bonk because that's what they have. Sure, they say they prefer Bonk to Mario and Sonic but if Mario or Sonic were on PCE they wouldn't be talking shit about it, that's for sure. They'd be gushing over Super Mario World or Sonic 2 on PCE, but they aren't there, so they gush over Bonk. They are fanboys, period.

There are much better platformers than Bonk out there...but probably not on PCE. PCE has a fairly large selection of EXTREMELY similar and generic platformers and side scrolling RPGs, but somehow Bonk stands alone, particularly the second one.

When compared to the entire spectrum of 8 and 16 bit platformers...its B grade, there are a few aspects of it that are really cool. The spin Bonk move, and how its variable based on the two turbo settings and manual. The comical characters, especially all the dudes working on the ship.

Also, the experience of the straight up standard *bonk*. Like, you just walk up to a guy at point blank range and *bonk* his ass right off the f*cking screen, its very satisfying, even when you've been playing the game for hours.

I agree that Bonk is B (or C grade) in some respects. It is a humble game (series) with a whole lot of charm. This charm is what makes it so endearing.

I love Sonic. I love Mario. But I also love Bonk. Bonk deserves a spot in the pantheon of platformers (no, he doesn't have to get top billing). Bonk has an intentionally slower pacing than many of its brethren, yet this DOESN'T DETRACT from the action and fun! Super Mario World gets tedious! Sonic 2 is awesome, but also gets monotonous. If these stalwarts of the platforming genre can be faulted, I would never expect Bonk to escape unscathed. I could argue that Bonk really relies on its charm, more than anything else!

Anyway, Zeta, I'm glad we both agree that Bonk is SWEETNESS and deserving of tremendous praise in the 8-bit/16-bit universe.

Princess Za *hugs* Zeta.

|    | 

RegalSin

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Super Mario World or Sonic 2 on PCE,

That is not fair, Super Mario World was an action game like Popful Mail. You can't compare that to Boink, on the PCE.
If we did then we would have to imagine if Boink had a world map, like Mario World. Boink also had only five sets of games. 1-4 and Roboboink.

All Sonic games were ever about was looking cool and that is about it. Sega made him the most claimest looking color ever, and the whole idea was save the rainforest. You can't beat that, even with Mario. Mario only survived because of the fanbase, and green pipes. Sonic was the most biggest gimmick ever made.

allyourblood

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
I always enjoyed the challenge of the Bonk games. I've never met a standard 2D platform Mario or Sonic game that I wasn't able to beat almost right away (unless it was just a particularly long game to begin with). The Bonk games always seemed to have a higher difficulty (at least 1 & 2) than most other popular platformers and took a bit more finesse and strategy. Heck, the longer the Mario and Sonic series went on, it seemed like the devs didn't want you to die, ever.

I enjoy the Bonk games for all the reasons mentioned in the thread thus far, but I also think they're special because I didn't have a TG16 as a kid. I knew a couple other kids who owned one and while I had a Genesis and NES, the TG16 and its Bonk games were always this mysterious experience that I only got a chance to enjoy once in a great while. They still hold a little magic because of that.

If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

csgx1

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
I agree that Bonk is B (or C grade) in some respects. It is a humble game (series) with a whole lot of charm. This charm is what makes it so endearing.

I have to agree too, charm is what makes Bonk so appealing for me.  To be honest, I really don't like platformer games(Mario/Sonic) but I love Bonk.  I really like the humorous & outrageous prehistoric theme that the Bonk games have along with good controls, unique level design(eg level inside the dinosaur), huge bosses and colorful graphics. 

kazekirifx

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »
Yeah. Really. I should have made this thread. Bonk has totally mediocre gameplay, and not enough challenge. It never was a Sonic or Mario. That's probably why when I take out the turbo these days, it's usually to play a shmup or Alien/Devil's Crush and not Bonk. Can't remember the last time I played Bonk. Mine have a think layer of dust on them.

Super Mario World was an action game like Popful Mail.

Yes. That's totally the first game I would have chosen to compare Super Mario World to. It is just like Popful Mail. /s

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
I think Bonk is up there as part of the great platformers.  I grew up with a NES and I play way more Bonk then Mario or Sonic now a days.  It always seems to hold my attention.  I agree with everybody else on what they were saying about it's merits.

Sadler

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
It's impossible for me to objectively evaluate the Bonk games compared to its rivals. I never had a Genesis so it's probably no surprise that to this day I don't understand the fascination with Sonic. I did have a SNES back in the day and yes, I think the Mario games are fantastic. I had a TG16 first though, and one of the first 2 games I had was Bonk's Revenge (the other being Keith Courage). I absolutely loved the Bonk games back then. I probably played more of Revenge than any other platformer I've ever owned. The other two are pretty good (I prefer Adventure to Bonk 3), but Revenge is something special to me. I played through Revenge a month or two ago for the first time in well over a decade and I can honestly say it was just as incredible as I remember it being.

HercTNT

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »
Personally i think that anyone that tries to compare the classic mascots are missing the point. The charm of Sonic is different than the charm of Bonk is different from the charm of Mario. I like all three games due to the fact that play completely different from each other.  Bonk's artistic style and random scenarios keep the game fresh for me. i love mario and sonic, but they tend to feel overdone at times.

motdelbourt

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
To know Bonk is to love him. Especially on the TG16.

The funny thing about Bonk though is that only a fraction of his games are actually on the PCE/TG16. The ones that are not on the TG are on the whole considerably weaker and less charismatic in every area compared to the Turbosauce versions.

I've been playing the arcade game lately. It's funny how it reminds me of NSMB, but boy is it annoying.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
I love Mario, but Sonic, I've tried so hard over the years to enjoy those games.  I have virtually ever collection that's been released in the last 10 years, so I have all the original games.  I just can't get into them.  I like the music, & visuals in most the games, but the gameplay just kills it for me.  It doesn't help that they're all essentially 1 hit wonders, which I usually hate(though I tolerate in Mario's), but I get so friggin agitated when I lose all my rings.  It's like you're on top of the world, & BAM, you suck!  And it's so easy to get hit before you even know what's going on, because of that damn blast processing!  Seriously, I do like aspects of the Sonic games, but, I just can't play thru them from begining to end. 

Ofcoarse, I'm one of those wierdo's that still considers Super Mario 2/USA as the best Mario game of the 8/16bit era, & wish they'd revisit Wart & the gang.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
Gawd, Super Mario USA is such a bastard creation.

KnightWarrior

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
Super Mario isn't a Real Mario Game at all

The Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is..

Mathius

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »
I love Super Mario Bros. 2 USA! It's one of my fondest gaming memories when my mom bought it for me at K-Mart all those decades ago. I even love the box art.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 07:07:40 AM »
They are fanboys, period.
I will have to disagree. I grew up with NES, SNES, TG and Genesis. I had them all. I grew up with every mario, every sonic, and every Bonk. There was no fanboying afoot. I was like, 7.

I liked Bonk's Adventure more than all of them even back then. It's got a charm to it that the other games don't have. The cartoony dinosaur theme helps. The music definitely helps. Bonk's Adventure's soundtrack is perfect for the game.

It's why I like Joe and Mac alot too. If that game played the exact same but it was like, some stupid italian plumbers, I would probably not like it.

Anyway, my top platformers from the era go something like this:

Bonk's adventure
Super Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic)
Sonic 2
Rocket Knight Adventures
Ristar

Throw in Joe and Mac and Super Bonk too. I think I had the most fun growing up playing Mario 2, Sonic 2, Super Bonk and Bonk's Adventure.

I also liked Kid Chameleon alot. That was a strange f*ckin game. Most of my other favorites are Genesis games. Go figure.

Super Mario World was fun, but alot of the levels really pissed me off for the wrong reasons. I don't like the levels that move for you. They were a pain in the ass in Mario 3, and are still a pain in the ass in SMW. If SMW didn't have all the secret stuff to do, the game wouldn't be half as fun for me. I like using the cape to launch up to some secret bullshit. That's where the real fun is. and Star Road. That's the best part.

I liked this game called Claymates on SNES alot too. That's another strange f*ckin game.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

turboswimbz

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 01:18:39 AM »
I'm guess it might have something to do with Arkhan and me being similar in age, But I really, really agree with him.  Those are my favorites too.  + claymates and chemelon twist are awesome as well. (damn this are upstairs - gotta plug them back in and play them, along with Joe and Mac.  I liked Super Mario World a lot as a kid, but I find now that it's boring until you unlock the secret stuff. I never had a gensis, but my 1 friend did, we played Sonic 2 all day long. The 1 diffrence is that I like mario 3 as much as 2.  IDK why, I just do.  However, Bonk is my favorite becuse it was just diffrent, fun, simple and challenging.  It doesn't need to be anything other than what it is.  IT doesn't need to be some kind of crazy awesome, game that makes everyone like it.  The Games are solid early 90's platform style games or whatever you want to call them.  BOttom line.
BONK = GOOD

also don't care if I'm a fanboy, that's the point of liking it, and being a fan.

BONK PLEASE HAVE MY BABIES! ALL MY BABIES! 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.