Author Topic: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games  (Read 2288 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: I don't see what's so great about the Bonk games
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2012, 03:20:25 AM »
There were a few other oddball platformer games that I really liked. 

Castle of Illusion was great.  Still one of my favorite Sega games actually.

I'm not sure if it counts, but Ecco the Dolphin too.   That's another one of my favorite Sega games.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

futureman2000

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2012, 03:55:52 AM »
I remember being interested in Bonk from a snippet of gameplay in a TG-16 commercial, but I didn't play the game until about two years ago. The graphics and general theme appeal to me, but it's not a game that I play very often.
In comparison to Sonic/ Mario, I dunno.
When Sonic came out, I was a bit disappointed that it was so popular. I had a Genesis, so it was cool that the system was really taking off. But it wasn't really the kind of game that I liked. The colors were nice, and the scrolling was neat, but I didn't really care about scrolling at the time. I was mostly into RPGs, or strategy games- we generally didn't buy a game unless it had a save feature (with the exception of Strider- it was kind of a big deal at the time). I do like the Sonic games now (especially Sonic 2), but more as an example of programming prowess and creativity.
I think that it's not a stretch to say that most every Mario game is enjoyable without regard to context. Super Mario World was the kind of deep, exploratory game that I had wanted Sonic to be.
Finally playing Bonk was cool, because I remember seeing the art style and reading about the game play mechanics. But they're not the type of games (aside from maybe the giant Bonk sprite) that show off what the console can do, nor do they provide the kind of deep gameplay of Mario.
Then again, I was 30 when I first played Bonk- maybe I would feel differently if I had secured a turbo in 1990.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

reno5

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »
To my opinion the only missing thing in Bonk is save point. The game is kinda long if you don't have all day to play !

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »
Save points in a platformer?

lolwut

You can beat the game in like an hour.

turbokon

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
To my opinion the only missing thing in Bonk is save point. The game is kinda long if you don't have all day to play !

I agree. What all the talk of bonk, I decided to fire up bonk's adventure. Got to stage 3 before I had to quit. I don't see how you can beat in an hour without trying to discover all the bonus stages.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

KingDrool

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
To be fair, save points weren't exactly common back at that time; especially for platformers. I mean, Mario 3 is freaking ginormous (without warp whistles), yet: no save point. No save points in Sonic either, as I recall.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2012, 06:37:54 AM »

I agree. What all the talk of bonk, I decided to fire up bonk's adventure. Got to stage 3 before I had to quit. I don't see how you can beat in an hour without trying to discover all the bonus stages.

Save the discovering for a time when you aren't going to get up 12 minutes later.

Black Tiger

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
Sonic 3 and Valis PCE games have saving, but it was uncommon for sidescrollers bitd.

The Bonk games aren't long for the time period either, they just aren't too short.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
Gawd, Super Mario USA is such a bastard creation.

YES, BUT IT IS SUPREMELY AWESOME. I recently mentioned this in another thread: the *charm* of the Mario universe (as we now know it) owes a huge part to the bastard-child we know as Super Mario Bros. 2 USA North America. That's the first game where TONS OF LOVE AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL went into character designs and fleshing out the finer details of things.

I'm with Paranoia Dragon 1 million percent: I wish Nintendo would create an alternate universe where Wart, Birdo & Co. can continue their antics. Why should Wario and Waluigi be the only demented offsprings of the Mario cannon? Birdo, I want you back, baby! I friggin' love Birdo.

Super Mario isn't a Real Mario Game at all

The Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 is..

This is silly. WHO CARES IF IT IS CANON OR NOT? It is a brilliant game, literally oozing with charm, personality and originality. So many great ideas (play mechanics) in this game. IT IS A CRIME THAT THIS GAME HASN'T BEEN EXPANDED AND DEVELOPED as an offshoot of the Mario Universe Proper.

See my prior comment on how Mario Universe Proper is indebted to Super Mario Bros. 2 USA North America.

I love Super Mario Bros. 2 USA! It's one of my fondest gaming memories when my mom bought it for me at K-Mart all those decades ago. I even love the box art.

HELLS YES!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:10:01 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »
To be fair, save points weren't exactly common back at that time; especially for platformers. I mean, Mario 3 is freaking ginormous (without warp whistles), yet: no save point. No save points in Sonic either, as I recall.
Man, I HATE save points in platformers (or almost any game that's not an RPG). Super Mario World seems to be the game that really made save points mainstream. As much as I like SMW, it introduced two of my pet peeves in action games: save points and in-game tutorials (in the form of blocks).

Obfuscate

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »
Since I don't really enjoy platformers I wouldn't mind save states as I would probably play through more of them. Dracula X is a good example.

I love shooters and would hate it if they had save states. Unlimited continues pisses me off also, so I could see why people who like platformers wouldn't want them.

Bonks Adventure and Bonks Revenge are cool for a early 90's platformers though. One of the few I enjoy playing here and there.

Father5&JoshUnion

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »
Super Mario 2 (USA) was a brilliant game.  I played the hell out of it, and was floored when I found out the gameplay would be different than what we saw in the first SMW.  Then I was floored again when I really got into it.

Is it weird that I think Bonk 3 was the most fun of the Turbo trilogy?  Perhaps I just loved playing it two players with my kids years ago.  I also had the SCD copy, which I really dug the music in.  :)

I should bug my son now that he's out of the house and ask if he remembers playing Bonk 3 late nights back in 1995.... LOL

KnightWarrior

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
Well SMUSA is based off Doki Doki Panic..

SMB2J is the true sequel, even know everyone thinks it's just a add on of SMB

esteban

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
Super Mario 2 (USA) was a brilliant game.  I played the hell out of it, and was floored when I found out the gameplay would be different than what we saw in the first SMW.  Then I was floored again when I really got into it.

Is it weird that I think Bonk 3 was the most fun of the Turbo trilogy?  Perhaps I just loved playing it two players with my kids years ago.  I also had the SCD copy, which I really dug the music in.  :)

I should bug my son now that he's out of the house and ask if he remembers playing Bonk 3 late nights back in 1995.... LOL

You're not the only one who likes Bonk 3...someone here (nat?), whose opinion I respect quite a bit, well, he actually likes Bonk 3 the best. HE'S CRAZY WRONG, but that's OK.

YOU ARE CRAZY, too. But that's OK. I WISH I was able to enjoy Bonk 3 more. I've only played it via emulation (I don't have HuCard). Actually, this is probably part of the problem (I prefer playing on actual hardware).

|    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
You're not the only one who likes Bonk 3...someone here (nat?), whose opinion I respect quite a bit, well, he actually likes Bonk 3 the best. HE'S CRAZY WRONG, but that's OK.

It's nat and me that champion Bonk 3 as the best of the three.  Neither of us is crazy.... we're just different:D
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles