Author Topic: How you discovered the turbo grafx  (Read 2011 times)

newgenturbofan

How you discovered the turbo grafx
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, so I thought why not see how others got into the turbo grafx.  I'm just curious and since I'm new to this system it will be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say. Personally, I heard about the system for awhile, but it wasn't until I downloaded a few of the classics onto my wii, that's how I discovered games like Splatterouse, Air Zonk, Neutopia, and Blazing Lazers. The first tg16 game I played and beat was Bonk's Adventure, which was a blast, but I hear Bonk's Revenge is better. I didn't download too many games, because I'm the type of guy who's got to own a physical copy of a game, btw i wouldn't mind if anyone would be willing to sell me any of your duplicates of any turbo game- i don't have any :( Anyways, I bet a lot of you guys grew up with the system, unfortunately I was born in 1991 so I was only a toddler through the rest of the tg16's lifespan. So that's it, how did you discover the turbo grafx and what was the first game that convinced you that this system was a good investment? It'll be great hearing others stories and maybe a few of you guys where like me and just discovered it recently!

turboswimbz

Re: How you discovered the turbo grafx
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
Welcome. GLAD TO SEE YOU HAVE FOUND THE WORLD'S GREATEST ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM! Good question, although I've read this thread many times, this always a good thread.  Head over to the sales/trade forum many people have extras to sell, trade.  I will say don't expect people to just throw you deals for no reason  i.e.keep this to a minimum, sounds too much like "I'm only here to take advantage of the community" I've only been here a couple of month's and posts like that generally garner a lot of hate if they become persistant->
btw i wouldn't mind if anyone would be willing to sell me any of your duplicates of any turbo game- i don't have any Anyways
after a few weeks here, you'll understand why some people are protective of the community, it's pretty awesome here. 
   That being said FiftyQuid has a system and some cheaper games up for sale at the moment, You may want to try there, But be warned the Wii is the much much much cheaper way to go.   

To answer the orginal question:  BACK in 90 my dad got a used boxed turbo with games and all sort of extras for $75.  I then experienced my first video game BONK's Adventure.  The rest is history, played those same few games over and over and over.  Until recently I got back into it, found my way here, and love every minute of talking about the system.   

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:17:30 PM »
Welcome to the 16 BIT REVOLUTION!!!

I discovered the joy of the Turbo only a few years ago myself.  Around 2007-2008 I was a locale game store and they had a Turbo and some games for sale.  It was pretty cheap ($60+Kieth+$5 off any game) so I picked it up.  I remember playing the demo model in front of Radio Shack as a kid.  The used to set up Bonk and Kieth but set the T.V to reset every 5 mins so it became a game of how far could you make it before it the game would reset.  I thought what hell I'll try something different and bought it.

I quickly fell in love and it's been my favorite system since :)

syphic

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
I bought a Genesis when it first came out. Loved the console. Was the only kid at the time who had it. I remember going with my father to Montgomery Wards and saw the TG-16 Display. I remember playing splatter house and Galaga 90 on it. I think the fact that it was obscure and new made me just want it! Anyways some friend from school hit me up because he heard I had a Genesis. He told me he had a Turbo Grafx with a bunch of games and wasnt too into it. Asked if I was down to trade systems. My Genny with a couple of games for his Turbo with like 10 games. I said yes and the rest was history!
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

TR0N

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
I'd say magazines such as electronic gaming monthly,even before nec even had commercials for it.Then other being playing it a friends house for the time first before i bought one.Hmm as for how i got one originally i can't remember if it was the jc penny's catalog or if it was toy's'r'us.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
While I cant exactly remember the very first time I spotted TG-16, I remember most of my early exposure cam from early morning TV ads and also what was shown on Video Power.

motdelbourt

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
Gamepro's feature write-up introducing the Turbo Duo. So awesome. I'm sure I was aware of the TG16, but like the Genesis it didn't register for me at all, and I didn't know anyone who had one at launch.

After that I ended up somehow getting a Turbo Grafx 16 for 69.99 at Babbages, and some used games from Game Dude. Then a TG-CD, then 3.0 Card, and so on.

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
EGM and GamePro. I got to see it and maybe try it at a local trade show before it became available in my hometown. I got a Genesis near launch and wasn't planning on getting a TG-16, but decided that I had to get one asap after trying Dungeon Explorer and Neutopia at a friend's house.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

reno5

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:50:48 AM »
Radio Shack stand in the mall. Waited soooo long to have the money to buy one that when i finally could buy one they where letting them go for 49$ LOL.

KingDrool

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »
I think I first saw it in ads in magazines. As I recall, it may have been the Bonk's Adventure comic book style ad, though I could be mistaken. Either way, when Christmas time came around, my Dad took me to the store to buy my gift. I chose the Genesis, but it was $20 more than the TurboGrafx-16, so I went for that instead, saving my Dad a bit of cash. (What a nice kid!) Anyway, I was rewarded with great memories and gaming experiences, and to this day it's my favorite console ever (including the Duo).
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Drakon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »
Turbo everdrive is how I got into the system.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

MotherGunner

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
At Serramonte Mall in Daly City CA circa 1990.  It was a Turbo Zone "Island" setup in the middle of the mall.

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

HercTNT

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »
I was at a friends house in 1991 and his father was playing neutopia on a giant tv. I never looked back :)

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
I think I first saw it in ads in magazines. As I recall, it may have been the Bonk's Adventure comic book style ad, though I could be mistaken. Either way, when Christmas time came around, my Dad took me to the store to buy my gift. I chose the Genesis, but it was $20 more than the TurboGrafx-16, so I went for that instead, saving my Dad a bit of cash. (What a nice kid!) Anyway, I was rewarded with great memories and gaming experiences, and to this day it's my favorite console ever (including the Duo).

When I finally bought one it was late December of 92. I hit Toys R US with a tad over 100 bucks and nabbed a system with Keith Courage for $49.99, and hit up the game selection where they used to keep slips on the wall along with a insert thing of the front and back of the games box so you could see what it looked like. Ended up nabbing Bloody Wolf, Legendary Axe, and Alien Crush. Was a hard choice because almost everything looked awesome and I was pretty stoked to get such cool games. A couple months later I ditched my Master System and Nes and used the cash to get Raiden and Aero Blasters and another title I think (yes I literally got rid of both systems and like 40 games in total to buy a couple more TG games).

I did not decide to get a Genesis until Oct 93, because Mortal Kombat had come out. I nabbed a Genesis core system for $99.99 and cashed in on the free copy of Sonic 2 mail in offer. From like Aug on till Oct I had acquired a few Genesis games in advance so I would have stuff to play (Pit Fighter, Fatal Fury, Altered Beast). Sonic 2 arrived to me in November. December 93 was great, because not only did I get to buy Splatterhouse 3 and MK on Genesis, but was able to secure a copy of Splatterhouse 1 on TG along with a few other titles. Always kind of had a great respect for both the TG and the Genesis. Always will due to such great gaming memories. Back then too after I got a TG many of my friends had seen how awesome it was and a couple of them were able to nab one too.

thesteve

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »
saw the TV add at a friends house.
saw it at toysRus for $99 (friend got it)
saw it later for $30 and bought 1