Author Topic: How you discovered the turbo grafx  (Read 2025 times)

newgenturbofan

Re: How you discovered the turbo grafx
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Wow, its really interesting to hear everyone's stories, makes me wish I got into the tg-16 earlier! That's really cool how Lost Monkey even kept the receipt from back then. I noticed many of you guys saw commercials and ads, which reminds me of something I read earlier. I heard that NEC marketed the system heavily in the bigger cities across the US. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm this?

Btw- sorry turboswimbz if that came across the wrong way!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 01:38:16 PM by newgenturbofan »

turboswimbz

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
No prob. that was kinda directed at someone else, who had just PM'd me some crap(brand new member), I shouldn't have suggested you were like that, my bad... And yeah you should have started earlier, but good news is you can still learn to OBEY.  lol.  I'm pretty sure that it is true there was more marketing in the cities.  Out where I lived, outside of the cities, TG16 stuff was very rare. 

btw KUDOS for starting a cool thread.

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

DarkKobold

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
My story is way different than most. I was trying to find interesting, multi-player co-operative games that would make an interesting Tool Assisted Speedrun (TAS). I found Dungeon Explorer, a totally unique game, in the fact that it had an amazing 5 player co-op mode.  After making that run, and really liking the platform, I chose 5 more games to make TASes for, 3 of which were published. At that point, I loved the turbografx as a unique platform, but I never thought I'd actually own one.

Fast forward 3 years, and I find the turbografx haul of a life time. I now am getting close to a complete turbografx/CD/SuperCD set. It turned my love into an obsession.
Hey, you.

tpivette

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
My parents bought mine for Christmas in 89'... got Blazing Lazers as well. I was 11 at the time, so no job to afford my own games. Didnt really amass many unless it was my birthday or Christmas... but ended up getting World Class Baseball, Legendary Axe, Dungeon Explorer, SideArms, Neutopia, and Cadash. Also had a Turbo Tap, an extra Turbo Pad, and a Turbo Stick. When the Duo was coming out, I sent away for the promo video and begged my parents to get me the system for the next two Christamas's... to no avail. After that, I was old enough to drive and cars became my new passion.

Fast forward to about a year ago and I was helping my parents clean out their basement. Discovered the original system and all the hookups, Turbo Tap, Turbo Stick, SideArms, Dungeon Explorer, and Blazing Lazers. hooked it all up to my TV at home and to my surprise, everything worked! This rekindled my love for the system, and I've been having too much fun ever since!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

roflmao

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »
I got my first Turbografx-16 in 1990.  Back then I was a Sega Master System owner and *loved* R-Type.  One day a friend brought over his TG16 and R-Type and it blew me away.  The intro music at the start of the first level... OMG.  And the graphics!  It was love at first sight. 

I sold my SMS collection to purchase a TG16 as soon as possible.  And the rest was history.  :)

Father5&JoshUnion

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 05:54:02 AM »

RANDOM MEMORY: In 1989, when I got my first TURBO, Toys-R-Us was still selling some Atari 2600 cartridges! No joke.

You may continue...
In 1989 I was just starting to unload my 2600 games and needed a new game console for our family.

I took the kids to Toys R Us in then to pick out anything they wanted with their Xmas money.  They unanimously chose to get an NES.  I chose to get both the NES and a shiny new Turbografx and not tell anyone!  (I had only seen a few commercials about it, and read up about the "next generation" of gaming machines in papers) I brought it home and powered it up on a little 13" TV switch I had in the Garage.  Best night of gaming ever!  Played Vigilante and Keith Courage till the early morning.  On Xmas eve I decided to give the kids their NES a day early and they played it for a while that night but got a bit bored with it after a while.  In the morning they weren't expecting to open any more big gifts, but when they came out to the living room there was another big box waiting for them..  :)

My Ex wife was still pissed that I did that.  I overspent by about double and gave myself an early xmas gift that year to boot!!  L O L

esteban

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »

RANDOM MEMORY: In 1989, when I got my first TURBO, Toys-R-Us was still selling some Atari 2600 cartridges! No joke.

You may continue...

In 1989 I was just starting to unload my 2600 games and needed a new game console for our family.

I took the kids to Toys R Us in then to pick out anything they wanted with their Xmas money.  They unanimously chose to get an NES.  I chose to get both the NES and a shiny new Turbografx and not tell anyone!  (I had only seen a few commercials about it, and read up about the "next generation" of gaming machines in papers) I brought it home and powered it up on a little 13" TV switch I had in the Garage.  Best night of gaming ever!  Played Vigilante and Keith Courage till the early morning.  On Xmas eve I decided to give the kids their NES a day early and they played it for a while that night but got a bit bored with it after a while.  In the morning they weren't expecting to open any more big gifts, but when they came out to the living room there was another big box waiting for them..  :)

My Ex wife was still pissed that I did that.  I overspent by about double and gave myself an early xmas gift that year to boot!!  L O L

I almost cried reading this .

Such an awesome Xmas for the kids.

|    | 

Hollo

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
Coming from a country that never had the PCE/TG released, I never had much interest in them - that was until a few years ago....  For long time here in Japan (been here for about 10 years now) I have hoarded every console I ever dreamed of owning when they were released.  Honestly though, I never thought about the PCE as it wasn't something that I had any nostalgia for.  Blasphemy right?!  Then a friend recommended I try a few games out, and in a few short years the PCE/PC-FX is what I am collecting for more than anything else!  I can't stop buying!!!
To read more about my retro hoarding here in Japan:
http://www.supergaijinultragamer.org/

CPU64

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »
I fell in love with the design of the TurboDuo, and the ads on EGM for Lords of Thunder made me feel funny inside..

jelloslug

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
I know I saw it in VG&CE and Gamepro but the EGM issue is the one that sticks in my mind:

jelloslug

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
Here is the VG&CE issue:

jelloslug

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »
And here is the first ad I remember seeing (from an '89 Gamepro issue)

Sadler

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »

...awesome pics...

That's incredibly cool, thanks for sharing! :)

jelloslug

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
And a little bonus:

jelloslug

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
I can scan any of the article, covers, or ads if anyone wants a better copy.