Author Topic: How you discovered the turbo grafx  (Read 2015 times)

esteban

Re: How you discovered the turbo grafx
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 06:23:52 PM »
I can scan any of the article, covers, or ads if anyone wants a better copy.

HELL YES SCAN THOSE :)

http://archives.tg-16.com/help_us.htm#scanning

PM with any and all questions.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 03:21:56 AM »
Nice mags!  Please do scan 'em in so The Cook can archive 'em.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FiftyQuid

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 03:30:31 AM »
Not sure how I've missed this thread?  ](*,)

Anyway, unlike most here I was 18-19 years old when the TG-16 was released (born in 1973).  I was just finishing up high school and had a job that I'll call full/part time.  I was still living at my parents house rent free so I had money.  I saw the ads on television and I was instantly hooked.  Yeah, I had heard it wasn't a true 16 bit system, but I never got caught up in the 'bit wars'.  For me, it was all about graphics and the TG-16 had them even if it didn't technically have the other 8 bits.  To me the TG-16 just made more sense than the other consoles, but what really sold me was the hu cards.  We were all use to bulky cartridges then the hu card is released and it blew my damn mind.  No only did this little card contain a game, but it contained a game that was just as good if not graphically better looking than the competitors!  Oh, and as an added bonus you could take the SAME game and pop it into a TE.  This was mind blowing for me.  It made so much sense and I thought everyone else around me was a fool for buying anything else.  Then the CD-ROM attachment came out that could double as a portable CD player and I remember thinking "Wow!  Nothing is going to stop this thing!"  

In summary, I thought the console was awesome looking.  I thought Bonk's Adventure was awesome looking.  I thought Splatterhouse was AWESOME looking.  I thought the tech behind the hu cards, and CD-ROM was mind blowing.  The TG-16 had everything going for it.  I didn't even care that it only had 1 controller port.  I had friends, but they were too busy playing their Sega's and Nintendo's to come over to my house and play.  Besides, most of the games I was into were only single player.  Now that I think of it, it's probably why I tend to stay away from PS3 games like COD, MW3, BF3.  Multiplayer, even back then, didn't appeal to me.

I walked into Radio Shack and paid full price for my TG-16.  My first games were Keith's (of course), Bonk's Adventure, and Splatterhouse.  After that, I don't remember buying any additional games.  The ads on television stopped and I met my first girlfriend and got, uh... well I got busy.  :dance:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:32:03 AM by FiftyQuid »
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

jelloslug

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 06:32:04 AM »
Here are links for scans of the articles that I posted earlier:

www.jelloslug.com/TG-16/

Obfuscate

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 06:38:10 AM »
Awesome, thanks jelloslug!

jelloslug

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:56 AM »
I have just about every back issue of EGM, VG&CE, and Gamepro from issue 1 of each up through the mid '90s so if there is something specific that someone wants scanned I can probably find it.

esteban

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2012, 04:09:29 AM »
Here are links for scans of the articles that I posted earlier:

www.jelloslug.com/TG-16/

Thank you! I put them here:

http://www.tg-16.com/new_turbografx_magazine_scans.htm

...and they will eventually be listed on this page: http://archives.tg-16.com/magazine_database.htm

I have just about every back issue of EGM, VG&CE, and Gamepro from issue 1 of each up through the mid '90s so if there is something specific that someone wants scanned I can probably find it.

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN! Thanks to the previous scans, I got off my lazy ass and threw together some comparisons this morning and made this thread: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13284.msg263093#msg263093

Notice that the resolution/detail from the .pdf is lacking...probably due to the setting chosen when creating the .pdf ... if you still have the original files (.tif) I can use them. Also, call me crazy, but I say we create .pdf's with highest quality (least lossy setting), even if the file size suffers (sucks for mobile users).

|    | 

rrob78

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
My first discover of the TG-16 was way back in 1989, I already had my NES, but my friend told me his dad got him a new system, so he asked me if he can bring it over to play. He brought over a TG-16 with Bonks Adventure and Keith Courage. I tripped at this "Cards" that came in CD cases & not needing to blow on the to get them to start like the NES. So I was taking back with the bright colors and big sprites from the system. That was the first & last time I played the Turbo Grafix 16. Every since then I've never run into a system or game in the wild when out hunting for games, also Syphic re-introduced me to the system and with the help of another friend getting hooked up with a TG-16, was able to re-live that day I got to play Bonk's and Keith Courage.

turbokon

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
I first saw the commerical with legendary axe around 1989 or so. We first had the nes and was looking to buy the next generation gaming system around 1990 or 91, can't really remember. The turbografx-16 was sleek compared to the genesis and I was captivated about the  game cards and like the graphics I saw on tv. My brothers and I bagged our father for one during that christmas season. Finally we ended up picking up one at Montgomery Wards for 99.99. The best Christmas grift we ever got and we don't get much gifts and presents growing up.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
I feel like the odd one out here. I didn't have the TG-16 back when it was still an active system, and it seems like many of you come from richer families than me, haha. I never had more than one system in each gaming generation until I bought my PlayStation in '99 (I already had the N64 since it launched), and my parents never really bought me home consoles since the average cost for them was beyond what my parents wanted to spend on a Christmas/birthday gift. The only exceptions were that they got my brother his NES in '87, and I talked my mom into getting my N64 on the agreement that I would buy my first game for it myself (but even then it was an extravagant gift at the $250 launch price). Anyway, I had to slowly save up the $100-some myself to get my SNES when I was 11. That was for the bare-bones model, since one with a game would've been more expensive yet, but it worked out because Nintendo had an offer for a free copy of Super Mario All-Stars with the purchase of a SNES (although it required me to demonstrate the patience of a saint as I had this shiny new system I was so excited about, which was also my first and only video game system in years as my brother had sold off the NES a while prior, and I had to wait several weeks for the game to arrive by mail). Back then I wasn't even aware of the existence of the TG-16. I don't recall ever seeing an ad for it on TV or elsewhere (didn't subscribe or buy any game magazines until 1995, and that was just Nintendo Power), and I don't remember ever seeing it in stores either. I also didn't know anyone who had it or ever talked about it. Although, admittedly, I didn't even know much about the Genesis, so I don't know how much was me being in a personal gaming bubble or my environment.

Anyway, 1999 was the year that I got a lot more serious (and open-minded, expanding beyond Nintendo) about gaming, and it was also when I started collecting old games, first with the goal to reacquire the NES games I loved as a little kid. Not so coincidentally, it was the year I started using the internet a ton, so I was learning a lot. I'm guessing I first learned of the TG-16 around then. At some point I became interested in owning one, but Dracula X: Rondo of Blood was the real catalyst. I had long been a Castlevania fan and really wanted to play this critically acclaimed but hard to obtain gem, and I wasn't about to resort to glitchy emulation. By sheer luck, I came across a guy on a forum selling the game for $70, which was an excellent deal back then before any US releases existed and you were lucky to get it for under $150. I sat on that copy for quite a while with no system to play it on, and oddly enough, I got another opportunity to pick up a copy which was also for about $70. I flipped that spare copy for around $150 and essentially had Rondo for free. Then in '04 or '05 my fiance surprised me with the Christmas gift of a PC Engine Duo-RX lot he got from Japan Yahoo via a friend acting as a middleman. It came with a bunch of great games and accessories, and he got a great deal himself, only paying something like $120. The rest is history from there, although I can add that it was only a couple years ago that I finally entered the US side of the system. I was participating in a Secret Santa gift exchange and the guy wanted TG-16 games, so I bought a couple small lots, gave the guy several of the games and kept for myself the system and games that he already owned. I got a few good games that way, but I'll always favor the Japanese library over what I consider a somewhat limited US library.

thesteve

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
trust me i had no money back then
and like you, game systems were far too pricey for Christmas.
got most systems used, NES new @ $100 (saved a long time for that)
TG16 new @ $30 (in its last days)

TR0N

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 07:19:54 PM »
I feel like the odd one out here. I didn't have the TG-16 back when it was still an active system, and it seems like many of you come from richer families than me, haha.
Not me i got it the console the hard way.When it came out i had a nes by that point so i sold it all and went half with my parents to buy a TG16.To buy the Turbo-CD,i ended up getting a part time job during the summer and i earned enough to buy one.Not to mention when i had enough $ to buy a turdo-cd i remember it having a price cut by that point.

Still the irony in it after the TG16 died out in the u.s i traded it in for store credit.I didn't get the console again until 03.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:23:08 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

turbokon

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:06 AM »
We weren't rich, we grew up in the hood where the cars were more expensive than the houses. The only games we bought new were Aero Blasters and Andre Panza Kickboxing but somehow we ended with over ten games. We had a neigbor who's a few years order then us that also had turbografx. We bought both bonks games, china warrior, splatterhouse and legendary axe from him for $10 each. We bought super star soldier from a pawn shop for $15. We bought sinitron, r-type and space harrier from the flea market, can't remember how much we paid for them. Somehow we also ended up with ninja spirit, dungeon explorers and the turbotap with a few controllers. I think I borrowed thoses from a kid at school and never returned them. We had it for a couple of years when it started to act up. Finally we got no picture. My brothers and I got mad and decided to take it outside in the back yard and stomped the hell out of the turbografx. Can't believe we did that. We moved on to other systems from there and forgotten all about the turbografx. Don't ever know what happens to the games. I didn't rediscover the turbografx again until 1999 when I had my first good paying job at $10 per hour when I picked up my first turbo duo system from a retrogaming website.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

KingDrool

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »
My family was actually pretty lower-lower middle class when I was growing up. My parents never bought me anything that cost any significant amount of money. Our 2600 was second-hand, well after the "crash of 83", and they refused to buy me an NES because it was too expensive. But for some reason, they broke their own rules for the Turbo line of consoles. They were divorced, so I maybe when my Dad bought me the TurboGrafx-16, the gloves came off and my Mom was all like, "Oh no you didn't!" and tried to one-up him by getting me the TurboExpress and later the Turbo Duo.

The benefits of a broken home, eh? ;)
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

turboswimbz

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2012, 07:33:27 AM »
ahhhh it's always (well sometimes anyway) the ones that always wanted them and never got them BITD, that are players now-a-days. LOL!  Like wise I never owned a new turbo game or system, my dad bought some used games a long time ago, we only had 9 games Bonk A/ Bonk R, splatterhouse, parasol stars, deep blue, tricky kick, Kieth courage, Boxy boy and Pac land. I always wanted more, started my collection from that when I got back into it. :)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.