Author Topic: How you discovered the turbo grafx  (Read 2014 times)

turboswimbz

Re: How you discovered the turbo grafx
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »

ADVISORY: Although I haven't commented on each story individually, I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading all of the anecdotes!

Keep 'em coming [

+1
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2012, 12:34:14 PM »
lol Hah !! What can I say ?? I guess the Tg16 has a lot of fun stories and memories when it comes to how Ive acquired my collection over the years .. I'm Just glad I came across this site and have found so many cool and helpful people on here .. Thanks you guys ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

JohnnyPhantom

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »
For me it was the NickArcade TV Show, it  used to show Bonk all the time as one of the Arcade games, I had to research and found it was a TurboGrafx Game. Thats how I first heard of the system. Late (and more recently) I saw a post on a thread with someone selling the system, being curious about it for years I picked it up, played it, then replaced it with a TurboDuo and I'm still loving it ^_^ Splatterhouse was my must have game and someday I'll give Bonk (the start of my TurboGrafx Story) a try

roflmao

« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »

ADVISORY: Although I haven't commented on each story individually, I just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading all of the anecdotes!

Keep 'em coming .

You read my mind, esteban!  Thanks everyone for sharing your stories!

Choplifter

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
I was ten years old in 1989 when the Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 were released. I begged my parents for a Sega Genesis but they told me it was too expensive and I would have to make do with my NES. I will never forget Christmas morning 1989 when I became the proud owner of a Sega Genesis.

I loved my Genesis. To say I became a Genesis fan boy would be an understatement. I was fiercely loyal to Sega and any time a Turbo Grafx vs Genesis debate would flare up at school I was the first to jump in and proudly extol the virtues of the Genesis over the Turbo. I knew my parents would never get me both systems, and if I couldn't have the Turbo Grafx then I decided I was going to hate it. I have a vivid memory of drawing an anthropomorphic Sega Genesis that was plunging a sword through a Turbo Grafx as blood dripped from its corpse. Yea, I took fanboy to a new level when I was a kid. It wasn't enough to simply enjoy my Genesis, there was a war going on and the Turbo Grafx was my sworn enemy.

But, as much as I loved my Genesis, there was always a nagging question that would keep me up at night. I don't mean that figuratively, I would literally lay awake at night wondering, even panicking... Should I have chosen the Turbo Grafx instead? I saw commercials featuring Legendary Axe, Blazing Lazers and Bonks Adventure. Oh my god, I thought, those games look... amazing.

I spent a huge amount of time and energy hating the Turbo Grafx but deep down I wanted nothing more than to experience the Turbo Grafx games for myself. It was the old grass is greener effect. Those games had to be great because they were the ones I couldn't have. A few years would pass and the 16 bit war turned into Sega vs Nintendo as the poor Turbo seemed to fade away. Then one day in Toys R Us I saw that they were getting rid of their Turbo Grafx inventory and were selling them for $59. I wasn't the immature fanboy anymore and I couldn't pass it up. I was finally the proud owner of a Turbo Grafx 16. It felt good to shed my immature vitriol for the system I once pretended to hate and I finally got to enjoy the games that had such a psychological hold over me as a child.

esteban

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2012, 04:03:05 PM »
I was ten years old in 1989 when the Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 were released. I begged my parents for a Sega Genesis but they told me it was too expensive and I would have to make do with my NES. I will never forget Christmas morning 1989 when I became the proud owner of a Sega Genesis.

I loved my Genesis. To say I became a Genesis fan boy would be an understatement. I was fiercely loyal to Sega and any time a Turbo Grafx vs Genesis debate would flare up at school I was the first to jump in and proudly extol the virtues of the Genesis over the Turbo. I knew my parents would never get me both systems, and if I couldn't have the Turbo Grafx then I decided I was going to hate it. I have a vivid memory of drawing an anthropomorphic Sega Genesis that was plunging a sword through a Turbo Grafx as blood dripped from its corpse. Yea, I took fanboy to a new level when I was a kid. It wasn't enough to simply enjoy my Genesis, there was a war going on and the Turbo Grafx was my sworn enemy.

But, as much as I loved my Genesis, there was always a nagging question that would keep me up at night. I don't mean that figuratively, I would literally lay awake at night wondering, even panicking... Should I have chosen the Turbo Grafx instead? I saw commercials featuring Legendary Axe, Blazing Lazers and Bonks Adventure. Oh my god, I thought, those games look... amazing.

I spent a huge amount of time and energy hating the Turbo Grafx but deep down I wanted nothing more than to experience the Turbo Grafx games for myself. It was the old grass is greener effect. Those games had to be great because they were the ones I couldn't have. A few years would pass and the 16 bit war turned into Sega vs Nintendo as the poor Turbo seemed to fade away. Then one day in Toys R Us I saw that they were getting rid of their Turbo Grafx inventory and were selling them for $59. I wasn't the immature fanboy anymore and I couldn't pass it up. I was finally the proud owner of a Turbo Grafx 16. It felt good to shed my immature vitriol for the system I once pretended to hate and I finally got to enjoy the games that had such a psychological hold over me as a child.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: Love conquers all.

|    | 

shabba

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »
I just remember the commercials and wanting a TG over the other systems. When I was 18, the TG-16 was one of the first things I bought with my new job money...I bought a brand new one at KB Toys for 99.99 with a half dozen games (the system was about $50 and the games were deeply discounted). I remember wanting a Turboexpress but thinking how insane NEC was for the price point they expected. I sold my Turbo and all the games in the late 90's when I decided to stop having sex and get married. Good times.
-Colin
Old enough to be your dad. Just ask your mom.

esteban

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
I sold my Turbo and all the games in the late 90's when I decided to stop having sex and get married. Good times.

Hahhahhahahahhahhaha. Good times.
  |    | 

fsa

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
I remember that issue of VGCE (video game and computer entertainment) with the Turbo on it and I kept reading that article to find out as much as I can about the system, once I say Blazing lazers, that was it for me (SHMUPs are my fav. kind of games). One day in 1989 during my lunch hour at school I walked the nearest store (Towers, one of the few stores that has the turbo at that time). I bought the system and Walked back to school and man, was everyone drooling over the system, since I was carrying it by the handle. I put it into my locker ad was scared that someone might steal it, so I kept going to my locker to check on it. Went home right after school an played KC in AZ, I think I played it until midnight or something like that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:52:53 AM by fsa »
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
I remember that issue of VGCA (video game and computer entertainment) with the Turbo on it

This?

Hells yeah! I remember picking this up when I was at a school summer program at ASU when I was a rising sophomore. I remember reading this mag cover to cover and also going the the student commons arcade where R-Type and Street Fighter (the first one) were the rage.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

BlackandBlue

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:58 AM »
Ah, brings back memories.  A good friend of mine had the Turbo when I was growing up.  We use to skip school and play countless hours of Double Dungeons.  We would often throw in other games to the mix, like Bonk and Splatterhouse, but DD was what I remember most.  I personally never had one, since I already had a SNES and when the Genesis 2 went to $99, picked one of those up.  I remember seeing them on clearance at Toys'R'Us, when they still had the ticket you brought up to the front, for $50.  My friend already had the Turbo, so I figured I'd grab a Genny.  I still regret it, since they had a ton of clearance turbo games as well and am pretty sure that the all mighty Magical Chase was one of them.  What can you do, I got blinded by Sonic's speed I guess.  Plus I was maybe 13 or 14, so I didn't have much disposable income and my parents weren't going to buy it for me just because I wanted it.

Back in 2006 or 2007, My wife and I finally made space in the basement, which is partially finished.  I quickly took claim and setup my old consoles to a cheap TV I bought from work.  This was just before what I like to call the "retro age" where retro consoles became the cool thing to have.  Now that I was in my 20's, I had money to blow on items from my past I didn't get to have, so I went out and found a Turbo on Ebay and let the good times roll.  Then I went a little nuts and picked up a few others, like the CD unit, a Core I and Core II (with Briefcase for the Core and CDROM2 for the Core II), Turbo Duo, Duo-R, and an Express.  Needless to say, it is my favorite console (slightly beating out the Dreamcast).

Unfortunately, I changed jobs and then positions within my new job since setting up the basement and time is no longer as bountiful as it once was.  Hopefully I will have more time to visit the forum and play some more Turbo in the future.  Once you get to know the regulars here (and keep on their good side!), its a great place to learn.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

jelloslug

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:17 AM »
I remember that issue of VGCA (video game and computer entertainment) with the Turbo on it

This?

Hells yeah! I remember picking this up when I was at a school summer program at ASU when I was a rising sophomore. I remember reading this mag cover to cover and also going the the student commons arcade where R-Type and Street Fighter (the first one) were the rage.

I have scans of that article here: http://jelloslug.com/TG-16/