Author Topic: Definitive Games?  (Read 336 times)

JWinthrop

Definitive Games?
« on: September 24, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »
Hey all!  I love to collect retro video games and have been recently building my snes and genesis collection.  I have wanted a TG-16 for a while but the thing that puts me off is I know nothing about the games for it.  If I bought a TG what are some of the definitive TG only games that I should get?  You know like mario and donkey kong or sonic etc. but for TG?

Black Tiger

Re: Definitive Games?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »
I you're limiting yourself to TurboGrafx-16 (not a good plan in the long run), these are some definitive but affordable and original (not ports) Turbo games:

Dungeon Explorer
Military Madness
Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge
Bomberman '93
BlaZing LaZers
Alien Crush and Devil's Crush
Legendary Axe
Bloody Wolf
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:23:19 AM »
B.T.'s list is pretty good, but I'd add these: Parasol Stars, Neutopia, Air Zonk, and Soldier Blade (it's relatively affordable compared to new 360/PS3 games that nobody will care about in six months).  If you're looking for CD games too, there's Beyond Shadowgate (pricey), Ys Book I & II, Ys III, Splash Lake, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, and J.B. Harold Murder Club.

Broadening your horizons to include the PCE (which you really should do) opens up a whole slew of additional fantastic titles and cheaper versions of the aforementioned US titles.  It's definitely the way to go if you want to access all the greatest titles and you're more interested in playing games and not just collecting.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

reno5

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 03:49:19 AM »
I would add Silent Debuggers to the list. This game is realy nice and kind of unique on the TG16.

Bardoly

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
Yes.  Definitely look into getting a region-modded Duo, so that you can play the entire TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine library of games.

Don't forget Cadash.  It's absolutely a great game!

MrFlutterPie

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
Yes.  Definitely look into getting a region-modded Duo, so that you can play the entire TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine library of games.

Don't forget Cadash.  It's absolutely a great game!

This on both points.

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:05:20 AM »
Oh look, the experts at Racketboy already took the trouble of listing the defining games for us!
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbografx-16/the-games-that-defined-the-turbografx-16

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
Oh look, the experts at Racketboy already took the trouble of listing the defining games for us!
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbografx-16/the-games-that-defined-the-turbografx-16

It's amazing how, even when they pick out some decent games as they did with much of that list, that they still sound as though they don't know what they're talking about in the actual write ups. It's like all the youtube comnenters who say that they can judge the PCE library as a whole (as being inferior in general), because they've heard of all the great games, from Gates of Thunder to Lords of Thunder!:P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

MotherGunner

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
I still think Dragon's Curse belongs on this list.  It is one of my favorites of all time.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

geise

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
I still think Dragon's Curse belongs on this list.  It is one of my favorites of all time.

It sure as damn hell does!  So does Devil's Crush and Alien Crush. EDIT:  which I just realized was already on BT's list.  Doh.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:58:39 AM by geise »

Dyna138

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:43 AM »
In addition to what's been mentioned check out Splatterhouse! It's one of my personal favorite TG16 games. Also if you like platformers New Adventure Island is excellent and if you are looking for action adventure similar to Zelda check out Neutopia 1 and 2.

fragmare

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
Also Ninja Spirit and R-Type.  Irem were PCE programming gods...

In addition to those, I'd like to mention New Adventure Island, Aeroblasters, Legendary Axe II and Magical Chase and Valis III.

If you opt for Japanese games too, you can enjoy wonderful games like Gradius, Parodius, Detana!! Twin Bee, Dracula X, Son Son II, Street Fighter II' Champion Edition, Spriggan, Macross 2036, Coryoon, Download, Final Soldier, Salamander, Ninja Gaiden, Kaze Kiri, Tatsujin, Ys IV.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:40:28 AM by fragmare »