Author Topic: Duo R spins disc, but doesnt read  (Read 330 times)

tpivette

Duo R spins disc, but doesnt read
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
So I received a Duo R in the mail today, and to test it to see if it works, I decided to play Sapphire (that way, I can test both the HuCard slot and the CD function at the same time). So I popped in my Arcade Card, loaded the disc, and turned the system on. Up came the screen telling me to press run, which I did, and the disc booted up. Satisfied so far, I went into the kitchen to get something to drink.

When I came back, the screen was black, and there was a "whirring" sound coming from the Duo (the disc was spinning basically). I reset the console (using run+select) and the startup screen came up again. Once more I pressed run, and the disc began to spin... and spin, and spin, and spin... but nothing happened (I get the "please wait" message). So I tried a different CD witout the need for an Arcade Card. Same result. Also, if it matters, the lens position is all the way in the center of the disc (or, as far to the left as it can go).

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I want to try and resolve this issue myself before I send it out to someone.
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

Re: Duo R spins disc, but doesnt read
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Lot of issues with the DuoR systems lately.   :(

Frank_fjs

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
I'm having issues with my Duo-R as well, so I can share some of the advice that was given to me...

Seems you might have to adjust some pots for the laser, take a look here for an excellent guide:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8926.msg152736#msg152736

Was a new lens fitted by the seller or is it stock?

tpivette

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
Everything is original... stock. I was thinking pots adjustments as well. Guess I have some reading to do...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Frank_fjs

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »
Might be worth trying to clean the lens with some isopropyl and a cotton tip, just be very gentle.

tpivette

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:52:28 PM »
Tried lightly cleaning the lens, no improvement

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Frank_fjs

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
I can't speak from experience as I haven't cracked mine open as of yet, but from my research your problem seems to suggest that you need to adjust the V102 pot.

Drakon

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
Huh, everyone I talk to worships the duo systems like they're the ultimate.  Yet once I installed keith courage's gear bypass into my briefcase ifu white pce it's played everything fine.  I also see everyone suggesting you need to recap the duo systems, I've never seen anyone say you need to recap the older pce cd systems.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Frank_fjs

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:29:34 AM »
I've seen a lot of IFU units that have had problems, including the caps. Likewise with the CDROM2 units, they have a lot of problems outside of the gear. I think you hear less about it as fewer people have them.

My CDROM2 unit was fitted with a new gear and has been running solidly for 2 years so I can't really complain. It doesn't seem to load as fast as the Duo's though.

tpivette

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:53:15 AM »
Ok... so I opened up the Duo R, removed the laser, tested the motor (it worked), cleaned and greased everything, reinstalled it all... and now it works. Its the strangest thing, but whatever, I'm not complaining.

Time to play some games!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Frank_fjs

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 04:59:00 AM »
Great work!

So you didn't have to adjust any pots, just a clean and lube did the trick?

tpivette

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »
No pot adjustment necessary. Tried several different games as well, and no issues so far. I got lucky!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Frank_fjs

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »
Cool, fingers crossed I can be as fortunate. :)

tpivette

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 05:29:17 AM »
Read your post about the issues you're having with your doujindance console. I was watching them on ebay a few weeks ago, and almost bought one... but something inside me made me wait it out and then they sold before I could make up my mind. After hearing your problems with the one you purchased frm him, I'm glad I held back.

I bought this one from Hit-Japan (was $180 and I offered $150 and he took it). Luckily, I was an auto tech for years before I got my current job, and had the required tools to open the Duo up and start tinkering as soon as I discovered it had issues. I feel for you being in Austrailia and not having anyone local to help you out with either tools or knowledge of these systems. Hope everything eventually works out for you.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Drakon

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 12:19:59 PM »
Oh okay, sucks to know they're not immune!  I'm very patient with loading times they don't bother me at all.  I guess since this system doesn't have much ram to begin with loading times are never that bad.

I've seen a lot of IFU units that have had problems, including the caps. Likewise with the CDROM2 units, they have a lot of problems outside of the gear. I think you hear less about it as fewer people have them.

My CDROM2 unit was fitted with a new gear and has been running solidly for 2 years so I can't really complain. It doesn't seem to load as fast as the Duo's though.

Also good to know that lube seems to heal duo systems!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:26:55 PM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."