Author Topic: Let's Play a Game! What would you have done?  (Read 699 times)

geise

Re: Let's Play a Game! What would you have done?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:47:05 AM »
do what sega did...
Minus the sports games? Sure...

EA and Sports is what gave Sega a huge edge here in the US.

Madden was pretty much a console seller.

Well...the turbo DID  get Madden.  Sure didn't save it.

tggodfrey

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:33 AM »
I would take all company profits, hide them in off shore accounts to the point the Comp is bankrupt and ask the Govt for handout.  Worked for all todays companies.

Now if that didnt work I would standardize the software in Japan and the software here.  Same Game/Same artwork/manual language different obviously.  Granted you cant completely make all games the same due to censorship but a lot of them could be the same and that would reduce operating costs.  Take the saving and spend them on Marketing the CD portion of the software.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 07:07:26 AM »
Unfortunately, after a year on the market the Turbo was in a losing position. Their marketing campaign sucked and having Keith Courage as the pack-in was a huge mistake. Sega came up with some damn good marketing with the whole Genesis Does line of advertising, and NEC simply couldn't match Sega's wealth of well-known arcade titles. The truth of the matter is that a huge chunk of NEC's best games didn't come out until the Turbo was on life support and beyond the point of no return.

DarkKobold

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »
Cut the cdrom addon price in half and start development immediately on a super duo with the arcade card built in? Also, concentrate on more dos ports and advertise it as a cheap alternative to pc gaming. Maybe by porting Civilization over to the cdrom format? Hmmm....

I have to imagine that your first point was the only hope for the system. Given that the CD-rom attachment came out only 1 year after the system had been released, and was ridiculously expensive, i.e. $399 is $700 in today's money, it would severely turn off consumers. They did drop the attachment to $150 when the duo was released, but still, that was expensive given that people had just spent $100-150 for a TG-16. Also, the Duo was an upgrade, and had a $300 price point.

Upgrades to systems seem to be the death of a company, in reality. Sega made the mistake of releasing the CD, 32X, and Saturn in a very, very short time, leaving consumers with a lack of trust in the company to continue supporting their console. I'd blame that for the death of Sega. Even though they survived long enough to release the Dreamcast, they were bleeding money from the release of the Saturn until they exited the console market.

Perhaps there was no prayer for NEC/Hudson Soft, regardless of what they did. It took Microsoft 4 years in the red to turn the original Xbox profitable - a venture that would fold most companies. It took Microsoft basically surviving an entire console generation on their massive supply of cash, to become a true competitor in the market.

People are talking about the Ouya game console being the next big thing - however, I highly doubt it will even scratch the market. You have to be willing to lose a TON of money to become a competitor in the video game market.
Hey, you.

Marll

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »
I've thought about this quite a bit over the years, and still feel that myself at about 12 years old could have run the marketing department of Hudson USA better...

So a few things that I would have done differently:

1. Advertise more on mainstream television stations. In all my time I'd only ever seen 1 TG commercial on TV during the 90s. It's not like the Seattle Metro area is a tiny market either.

2. Stop f*cking up the box art! Just take whatever the Japanese game had and translate it to English. Done. We all know that Turbo Grafx box art was horrible and I KNOW that drove many people to the cooler looking art that most Genesis games had.

3. Drop the price of the TG-CD by at least $75 and include 1-2 games as a packin. Monster Lair and Fighting Street would have been fine I think.

4. Translate and import as much as possible (that is still relevant in the US) from Japan. I remember drooling over the Japanese game sections in EGM and GamePro all the time...if even half that stuff would have made it stateside it would have been huge.

5. Focus on Shooters, RPGs and Action/Adventure games. Sports were not the forte of the TG, and since Sega seemed to have all those games sewn up, I'd have concentrated in other areas.

6. Go after exclusives that were either too violent/bloody, obscure, or not possible on other systems (converting PC titles comes to mind with the CD).
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Nando

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:41 AM »
So what made the system so popular in Japan, even against the SNES?

Nando

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 07:41:57 AM »
do what sega did...
Minus the sports games? Sure...

EA and Sports is what gave Sega a huge edge here in the US.

Madden was pretty much a console seller.

Well...the turbo DID  get Madden.  Sure didn't save it.

it should have gotten MK but we all know where that went.

DarkKobold makes another good point, the freaking expensive entry point for the CD system was quite a chunk of money. Even if it worked with PC's.

nodtveidt

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
I'd bring out more RPGs here... which means more investment but it would have been worth it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
I don't think RPGs would've helped in 1990, not in the US anyway.  The Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star games sold really well in Japan, but none of 'em were system sellers here (except maybe Zelda, but good luck replicating that runaway success).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
I will always like Neutopia 1&2 better than Zelda.

PC-Engine was doing well in Japan since RPG's were so popular, not to mention shooters.  The US wasn't that accepting of rpg's yet, and they were so few and far between.  Sports games was sadly also another factor.  NEC also didn't really have an established name either.  Sega was known for it's arcade games.  That's what started the system selling for the Genesis in the US. 

fragmare

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »
Advertise to a broader US market base.

Start busting ass to get the best Japanese games localized for the US market.  Every game that is considered for localization would have to pass across my desk for approval.  I'd leave the crap in Japan.

Start throwing money at 3rd parties to develop more games.  Target companies like Konami and Capcom, particularly.

Immediately discontinue Keith Courage as the pack-in and replace it with Bonk (if that hasn't been done already).

Implore EA to start doing sports games on the PCE/PCE-CD.  They might suck shit, but they move machines off shelves in the US.

Throw in a free TurboTap with every new TG16 purchase.

Start development of the Duo with the extra SuperGrafx hardware and Arcade Card RAM built in.

Discontinue production of China Warrior and remove it from all store shelves.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:01:35 PM by fragmare »

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
Start development of the Duo with the extra SuperGrafx hardware and Arcade Card RAM built in.
Thats what I said. :) Except I call it the Super Duo.

fragmare

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »
Thats what I said. :) Except I call it the Super Duo.

To be perfectly honest, I would have said f*ck releasing the TG16 in 1989 and waited to release the SuperGrafx in the US in 1990 at a reasonable price (simultaneous to the Japan release) with like 100 of the best already-existing PCE games localized.  Let's face it, we were all suckers for parallax back then, and if the SuperGrafx failed in Japan, then big deal... Consumers in the US wouldn't need to worry, because there would still be a steady stream of PCE games being localized to US markets.

The SuperGrafx mainly failed because people didn't see the need to upgrade when the PCE was still kicking asses in Japan.  If you released the thing in the US in place of the TG16, it would have been the only NEC hardware available, and if priced reasonably, would have flew off shelves (assuming it was marketed properly).

Tatsujin

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
And on top of it, it would have already fitted to the actual size of the tg16, and in a much nicer design.
Only minus point would have been the bit more ackward connectivity to the cdrom.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

fragmare

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
You could totally have stuck a SuperGrafx inside a PC-Engine case, for that matter.  It's the exact same hardware with a couple extra chips.

I probably would have used the PC-Engine case design here in the US.  Or something similar.  The PCE's small size is part of what made it unique.