Author Topic: Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?  (Read 1771 times)

tpivette

Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
Ever since I saw the Turbo Duo promo VHS tape back in the day that showcased this game, I've wanted to play it. I had the first one when I was younger (and I still have my original from way back then), and loved it. Figured the sequel on a SCD format, had to kick just as much ass if not exceed the first. Fast forward 20 years and, while I have the disposable income to make the purchase, theres no way in HELL I'm shelling out hundreds of dollars for it. Nope, uh-uh, not gonna happen. So I did what any true fan of the game/series would do... made a $20 offer to Hit-Japan, he accepted, the game was mine.

So, my question is this... having never played the game myself, how do those who have, rate it? How does it stack up to the original? Any suggestions or tips for certain points in the game where I may become stuck (while not giving everything away completely)?

It'll be arriving probably by the beginning of next week... cant wait to pop it in the Duo R and finally get to enjoy this game!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

Re: Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
ehh.  I kinda did the exact same thing last year.  I got a copy from Hit as well.  I cant get past the language barrier though, seeing as the story to me plays a HUGE part in a game.  So, I got lucky on eBay and bought one.  Now, IF you arent as anal as I am, then you should be fine.  The game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)

DarkKobold

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
ehh.  I kinda did the exact same thing last year.  I got a copy from Hit as well.  I cant get past the language barrier though, seeing as the story to me plays a HUGE part in a game.  So, I got lucky on eBay and bought one.  Now, IF you arent as anal as I am, then you should be fine.  The game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)

Don't forget better music!

Anyway, here is my feels:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12498.msg244377#msg244377
Hey, you.

Bardoly

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »
I was able to pick up an English-version one recently for a high-but-not-ungodly-price, and although I haven't been able to get some friends together to play it yet, playing it on one player so far has been pretty fun.  (It seems that this game may be one of the top 3 (if not the best) of the higher-priced Turbo CD games, so you might want to just keep your eBay alerts set for it and see if it comes across for a more livable price.  Ironically, I had decided to try out the Japanese version, and so I bought one for $16 shipped, and then right afterwards, I was able to get the U.S. version (and due to shipping times, I received the U.S. version 10 days before I received the Japanese one).  I haven't even tried out the Japanese version yet, so maybe I'll pop it in tonight and then give you my thoughts.

tpivette

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:20 AM »
I was kind of on the fence about purchasing the US version of this game a few months ago when they were going for around $150ish... but now it seems as though the last few copies that sold on ebay went for $300+! No freaking way am I paying that! Too bad I didnt see the $90 BIN auction a few months back.

I also bought Neutopia 2 from Hit-Japan for $13. I just saw an auction on ebay end for the US version at just over $80! Its absolutely insane what some of the US releases are going for these days. I just cant pay that much for some of these games when the Japanese versions go for pennies on the dollar by comparison.
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

DarkKobold

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
Oh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

And, I also bought this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491726188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Can't wait to play it!
Hey, you.

Bardoly

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
I was kind of on the fence about purchasing the US version of this game a few months ago when they were going for around $150ish... but now it seems as though the last few copies that sold on ebay went for $300+! No freaking way am I paying that! Too bad I didnt see the $90 BIN auction a few months back.

I also bought Neutopia 2 from Hit-Japan for $13. I just saw an auction on ebay end for the US version at just over $80! Its absolutely insane what some of the US releases are going for these days. I just cant pay that much for some of these games when the Japanese versions go for pennies on the dollar by comparison.

I know what you mean.  Even though I speak Chinese, it doesn't help me very much with Japanese, so I've always highly preferred getting U.S. versions of video games.  (I have 35+ English-translated SNES repro cartridges because of this.)  At least Neutopia 2 is a pretty good game, so if you did end up paying $40-80 for it, at least you could feel that you actually got something for your money.  (And just think of the $60 current-generation shovelware game that you'd be giving up for it!   :roll:  )  When it comes to this cheap PC Engine versus expensive TurboGrafix-16 thing, though, I'll probably have to go with the flow on some of these.  i.e. I've picked up a PC Engine Magical Chase, because I highly doubt that I'll ever have a chance at a TG-16 version.   :(    Fortunately, I have been able to get several of the higher-priced TG-16 games for fairly reasonable prices, so we'll just have to see about the others.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Part II is everything great found in the original turned up to eleven, with a much larger world, side quests, nice cut scenes, and more unlockable characters (including a robot!).  No library is complete without a copy of this one.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bardoly

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
Oh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

And, I also bought this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491726188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Can't wait to play it!

I literally just discovered Crystal Beans: From Dungeon Explorer a few days ago, and I've been looking for it, to no avail so far.
There is an English translation of this game which is in the final stages of being finished, and after is is released, I hope to get one of my SNES repro cart makers to make me a cart with the English patch.   8)    Let me know how you like it after you get it and have tried it out.

csgx1

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
Similar situation for me too.  I always wanted to get this game but could never afford it or find one reasonably priced.  Now prices are ridiculously high and I don't plan on paying the price.   I've been thinking of buying the Jp version as well. 

Part II is everything great found in the original turned up to eleven, with a much larger world, side quests, nice cut scenes, and more unlockable characters (including a robot!).  No library is complete without a copy of this one.  :mrgreen:
Well, when you describe DE2 that way, it explains all these crazies on ebay willing to throw down $300+ for a copy. ](*,)

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Similar situation for me too.  I always wanted to get this game but could never afford it or find one reasonably priced.  Now prices are ridiculously high and I don't plan on paying the price.   I've been thinking of buying the Jp version as well. 

Well, when you describe DE2 that way, it explains all these crazies on ebay willing to throw down $300+ for a copy. ](*,)

Nothing explains why its $300 now. I got the PCE version here for under $20 and there is definitely a lot more of those than the U.S version. I still want the U.S version, but I'm not paying over $100 for it and its one of those games that someone should bootleg like Sapphire to give these gougers a run for their money.

Bernie

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »
I feel its worth 200 at the most.  More if you are willing, but 200 seems to be the highest I would go right now.  I paid 130.00 for mine last year, but I really got lucky.  I happened to be online when someone posted a BIN at 130. 

Bardoly

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
I feel its worth 200 at the most.  More if you are willing, but 200 seems to be the highest I would go right now.  I paid 130.00 for mine last year, but I really got lucky.  I happened to be online when someone posted a BIN at 130. 

I pretty much agree with Bernie's assessment of the DE2 pricing situation.

TheClash603

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
I will continue to be the only guy on these forums that doesn't like either of these games it seems.

I would rather play Gauntlet, because the "RPG" aspect of this game is out of place and not fun.  I have had people over to try to play, we always get sick of both games rather quickly.  I don't get it...

MotherGunner

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »
Wow, I paid $70 for DE II US from Ebay in 2007 and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. 
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)