Author Topic: Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?  (Read 1786 times)

TheClash603

Re: Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Wow, I paid $70 for DE II US from Ebay in 2007 and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. 

The game routinely sold for $100ish until about 3 months ago.

tpivette

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
Wow, I paid $70 for DE II US from Ebay in 2007 and I thought I was getting ripped off at the time. 
Yep, welcome to 2012... where real estate is worth 30% less, and DE2 is selling for 300% more!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bardoly

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »
I will continue to be the only guy on these forums that doesn't like either of these games it seems.

I would rather play Gauntlet, because the "RPG" aspect of this game is out of place and not fun.  I have had people over to try to play, we always get sick of both games rather quickly.  I don't get it...

I've only played either one just a bit, and I really enjoyed both, but maybe they're kind of better for 2-3 players who are really focused on the game rather than on 4-5 players of which some don't really enjoy the genre but were 'drafted' into playing just to fill in the slots?  I wonder how long either game should actually last?  Maybe one or the other would be a good game for some Turbo enthusiasts to play at the upcoming Octurbofest in Chicago.  I'm planning on attending, and I'm hoping to get in on some multi-player Turbo fun there.

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
The game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)

Don't forget better music!

You'll find that most people around here disagree.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Sadler

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
The game is excellent, and plays exactly like the first one, just much bigger and more depth.  :)

Don't count me in that bunch! DE2 has some of the very best music on the system.

No idea if these track titles are accurate:

vestcoat

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 04:20:09 PM »
I like DE2 as a one-player game or two-player with my brother, but the super long, unskippable intro + bad acting + early CD load times + swapping slots with the Tennokoe bank have killed every multiplayer attempt to date.

DarkKobold

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »

Don't count me in that bunch! DE2 has some of the very best music on the system.

No idea if these track titles are accurate:

My favorite -

I'm sad that only the first two bosses have it, and then it is back to the bland DE1 boss music, for at least a few fights.
Hey, you.

chany60126

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
I will continue to be the only guy on these forums that doesn't like either of these games it seems.

I would rather play Gauntlet, because the "RPG" aspect of this game is out of place and not fun.  I have had people over to try to play, we always get sick of both games rather quickly.  I don't get it...

I've only played either one just a bit, and I really enjoyed both, but maybe they're kind of better for 2-3 players who are really focused on the game rather than on 4-5 players of which some don't really enjoy the genre but were 'drafted' into playing just to fill in the slots?  I wonder how long either game should actually last?  Maybe one or the other would be a good game for some Turbo enthusiasts to play at the upcoming Octurbofest in Chicago.  I'm planning on attending, and I'm hoping to get in on some multi-player Turbo fun there.

Glad to hear you're coming to the fest. We should definitely try to get a multiplayer game going on either game. I've played through both games single player. If I recall correctly in the first game, there is an arena behind the bar or in one of the castles where players can face each other in a battle royale. I've never tried it out though.
SignofZeta: What a quintessentially PCEFX thread. Someone complains about nothing, multiple Bible-length posts discussing who's a bigger a$$hole follow. You're both pretty big a$$holes. Let's call it a tie.

bartre

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
personally, i would almost say that i dislike DE I.
however, DE II i've almost beaten, and i really enjoy.
i guess it's just a little bit more refined, and perhaps a little more forgiving.

Mathius

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »

I would be part of that crowd. As much as I like DEII's tunes, DE1's soundtrack is special. DE1's tunes are greater than the sum of its parts.

Glad to hear you're coming to the fest. We should definitely try to get a multiplayer game going on either game. I've played through both games single player. If I recall correctly in the first game, there is an arena behind the bar or in one of the castles where players can face each other in a battle royale. I've never tried it out though.

I have always wanted to do a big multiplayer mayhem with DE1. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
I absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 01:38:44 PM »
I absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.

Yeah, just because the shared tunes on The origonal DE are better, it doesn't change the fact that DEII has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Even though I like it the least of the three, Crystal Beans also has killer music.

DEII has Working Designs acting. It is good or bad depending on how you feel about WD dubbing.

Mathius

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
It may just be me, but I don't quite understand why some gamers say, "Since this game is on CD the music is much better!" Or something to that effect. In my eyes a game can have better tunes either way. It all comes down to composition, creating atmosphere, and the tools programers/musicians use to create their game soundtracks. DE1's chiptunes blow me away every time, but so does Gate of Thunder's red book.

Nobody here has stated anything like that. I just thought this would be a good place and time to vent about this hehe.  8-[
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

MotherGunner

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
I second what Mati says.  I was just playing Legendary Axe 2 the other night and even the wife commented on how epic the music was.  DE Chip tunes are the tits and so are DE II's.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 06:59:48 AM »
It may just be me, but I don't quite understand why some gamers say, "Since this game is on CD the music is much better!" Or something to that effect. In my eyes a game can have better tunes either way. It all comes down to composition, creating atmosphere, and the tools programers/musicians use to create their game soundtracks. DE1's chiptunes blow me away every time, but so does Gate of Thunder's red book.

Nobody here has stated anything like that. I just thought this would be a good place and time to vent about this hehe.  8-[

This used to he the consensus around here. Some of the many newer members seem to have varying opinions.