Author Topic: Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?  (Read 1769 times)

Obfuscate

Re: Dungeon Explorer 2... thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Both are 10/10 in the music department. Both are top 10 games for the system. Saying that DE2 is better IMO.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
I played both of them around the same time.  I had played through DEII before really investing alot of time in DE 1.  They both rock for sure, and for the value, I'd say DE 1 is the better deal.

I personally won't ever pay more than $60+ for a video game ever again, so the idea that I would drop $200+ on it sounds nutty.  I paid buy 2 get 1 free back in the day on TZD for $49.99 each once along with two other games.  And now I just play my import copy I snagged for $10 on the bay and I'm totally fine with it.  If I'm ever in a bind language wise, I can just flip it over to my xbox w/ my ISO of DEII (USA) and put my password in to load up my guy to talk to people in English.  :D

I love the password/save feature found in Dungeon Explorer!!

If I had to 'rate' the games, I'd say DE2 is the best followed by DE1 then Crystal beans (SNES) and DE3 (yes 3) comes up somewhere in the back for the Sega CD.

esteban

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 05:55:41 AM »
I absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.

Yeah, just because the shared tunes on The origonal DE are better, it doesn't change the fact that DEII has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Even though I like it the least of the three, Crystal Beans also has killer music.

Yes, I've really enjoyed the SFC tunes for Crystal Beans (and Ys III) thanks to my phone. Prior to that, I the only time I'd listen to most SFC tunes is when I was actually playing them!

Also, after buying a bunch of arcade soundtracks over the past decade or so, I realized that I enjoyed the NES versions/arrangements of some tunes better than the original music pumped out on arcade hardware.

Iron Tank (SNK) is but one example...

BACK ON TOPIC: I am grateful that we have both original and Red Book versions of DE tunes. Too bad we never got a chance to hear Red Book versions of other classic PCE HuCards like Legendary Axe. I'll have to convince Paranoia Dragon to do this one of these days.

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 07:29:34 AM »
I absolutely love DE 2 & the tunes.  It's nice to hear redbook versions of some of my favorite tunes from DE 1.  That's not to say they replace them, DE 1's music is awesome, & one of my favorites on the Turbo, regardless of chip or cd.  Also....I never noticed any bad acting, it's not perfect, but, it's not Valis 3, Final Zone 2, Last Alert, etc.

Yeah, just because the shared tunes on The origonal DE are better, it doesn't change the fact that DEII has one of the best soundtracks of all time. Even though I like it the least of the three, Crystal Beans also has killer music.

Yes, I've really enjoyed the SFC tunes for Crystal Beans (and Ys III) thanks to my phone. Prior to that, I the only time I'd listen to most SFC tunes is when I was actually playing them!

Also, after buying a bunch of arcade soundtracks over the past decade or so, I realized that I enjoyed the NES versions/arrangements of some tunes better than the original music pumped out on arcade hardware.

Iron Tank (SNK) is but one example...

BACK ON TOPIC: I am grateful that we have both original and Red Book versions of DE tunes. Too bad we never got a chance to hear Red Book versions of other classic PCE HuCards like Legendary Axe. I'll have to convince Paranoia Dragon to do this one of these days.

One of the many things that I love about Kabukiden is that aside from it having a full game's worth of redbook music and a full game's worth of chip tunes, there are both redbook and chip renditions of the main character themes.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Mathius

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
I played both of them around the same time.  I had played through DEII before really investing alot of time in DE 1.  They both rock for sure, and for the value, I'd say DE 1 is the better deal.

I personally won't ever pay more than $60+ for a video game ever again, so the idea that I would drop $200+ on it sounds nutty.  I paid buy 2 get 1 free back in the day on TZD for $49.99 each once along with two other games.  And now I just play my import copy I snagged for $10 on the bay and I'm totally fine with it.  If I'm ever in a bind language wise, I can just flip it over to my xbox w/ my ISO of DEII (USA) and put my password in to load up my guy to talk to people in English.  :D

If I had to 'rate' the games, I'd say DE2 is the best followed by DE1 then Crystal beans (SNES) and DE3 (yes 3) comes up somewhere in the back for the Sega CD.

I have tried (TRIED!) to like Dungeon Explorer on the SEGA CD. The game has nice music (the Turbo Tunes are better though), but the game itself is frustrating and unfair. The dungeons are way too maze-like, the food system is annoying, and thanks to the huge dungeons the penalty for death is too severe. If you aren't playing the game with a friend to even out the odds then you don't have a prayer.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 03:47:55 AM »

One of the many things that I love about Kabukiden is that aside from it having a full game's worth of redbook music and a full game's worth of chip tunes, there are both redbook and chip renditions of the main character themes.

That is the best case scenario. Kabukiden is so chock-full o' love that, ironically, it crushes other games mercilessly.

I didn't know how much was packed into Kabukiden; I have an even greater appreciation of it now.

I played both of them around the same time.  I had played through DEII before really investing alot of time in DE 1.  They both rock for sure, and for the value, I'd say DE 1 is the better deal.

I personally won't ever pay more than $60+ for a video game ever again, so the idea that I would drop $200+ on it sounds nutty.  I paid buy 2 get 1 free back in the day on TZD for $49.99 each once along with two other games.  And now I just play my import copy I snagged for $10 on the bay and I'm totally fine with it.  If I'm ever in a bind language wise, I can just flip it over to my xbox w/ my ISO of DEII (USA) and put my password in to load up my guy to talk to people in English.  :D

I have tried (TRIED!) to like Dungeon Explorer on the SEGA CD. The game has nice music (the Turbo Tunes are better though), but the game itself is frustrating and unfair. The dungeons are way too maze-like, the food system is annoying, and thanks to the huge dungeons the penalty for death is too severe. If you aren't playing the game with a friend to even out the odds then you don't have a prayer.

I haven't really spent much time with DE on SegaCD (I spent more time playing Wonderdog--hah!).

However, I have spent more time listening to the soundtrack (it's completely instrumental/orchestral IIRC). It's OK, but, like most orchestral soundtracks, it fails to evoke much passion in my cold heart. I need catchy melodies or pop-song sensibilities to stir up some emotions.

VERDICT: The soundtrack is fine. I'm just finicky and biased. As for the game? Yo no se.

|    | 

Bardoly

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »
Oh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

And, I also bought this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491726188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Can't wait to play it!

I literally just discovered Crystal Beans: From Dungeon Explorer a few days ago, and I've been looking for it, to no avail so far.
There is an English translation of this game which is in the final stages of being finished, and after is is released, I hope to get one of my SNES repro cart makers to make me a cart with the English patch.   8)    Let me know how you like it after you get it and have tried it out.

@DarkKobold,
So, did you ever get a chance to play Crystal Beans yet?  If so, then I want to hear your thoughts about the game and your opinion on how easy (or difficult) it is to play in Japanese

Obfuscate

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 01:40:26 AM »
IMO if you have the money get the English version, this is one of the few big buck games that are worth it. It's easily one of the best games for the system. I have played through it many times, unlocked everything and still go back for more. Also, if for some crazy reason you're not as impressed, you can always sell it and get your money back. I would have to be pretty desperate to do so with my copy.

DarkKobold

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 04:04:48 AM »
Oh, and how could I forget! I also bought the (J) version as well!

And, I also bought this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360491726188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Can't wait to play it!

I literally just discovered Crystal Beans: From Dungeon Explorer a few days ago, and I've been looking for it, to no avail so far.
There is an English translation of this game which is in the final stages of being finished, and after is is released, I hope to get one of my SNES repro cart makers to make me a cart with the English patch.   8)    Let me know how you like it after you get it and have tried it out.

@DarkKobold,
So, did you ever get a chance to play Crystal Beans yet?  If so, then I want to hear your thoughts about the game and your opinion on how easy (or difficult) it is to play in Japanese

I did a short review here -

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4765.msg264106#msg264106

You definitely need a FAQ to play through. Due to a glitch, you have to talk to one person twice in a row. Given that it is in Japanese, you'd never make it through without going crazy. Also, it helps to have the FAQ for knowing who to talk to to open the next dungeon.

Also, some of the bosses are in totally nonsensical places, like the one shown in esteban's picture. The worst offense is against the Vampire boss, whose Piano doesn't disappear, making the battle ridiculously more difficult than it needs to be.
Hey, you.

fraggore

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 05:53:46 AM »
i like the game fun to play finished 3 times but i still like the first one more.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

CPTRAVE

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »
Thoughts?

I want that game.. :D

SignOfZeta

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
I had this game back in the day, it was fun for a while but in the end I massively prefer Gauntlet. No question whatsoever.

As for the price...people want to be hard core owners of high priced games more than they want actual games. If that means paying $300 for a Turbo game that isn't even that rare, they'll do it. Expect Lords of Thunder to be $100 in a year despite it being, I think, the most common SCD except for maybe the GoT 3-in-1.

As for the language barrier on a JP copy, I'm not sure there is much of one. IIRC the story is pretty much tacked on to the game that could exist just fine without it. I assume menu items are mostly, if not completely, in kana. It shouldn't be that hard to play for gaijin.

SMF

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I don't have a problem paying over $100 for a game........THAT'S GOOD AND HAS AN EPIC STORY DE2 WORTH EVERY PENNY. Look what people pay for games nowadays and they are not as epic as DE2 is.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch