Author Topic: The Brothers Duomazov: two new updates (10.5 & 10.6)  (Read 1617 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: The Brothers Duomazov: two new updates (10.5 & 10.6)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 03:51:38 AM »
Indeed.  Besides, these aren't just random soccer games, and I'm sure fans of the other Nekketsu games are curious about 'em.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Jibbajaba

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 04:18:39 AM »
I agree.  I rather like that game, so it's cool to read someone else's take on it.  And I appreciate that TBD reviews games that I might otherwise overlook. I read all of their reviews, with the exception of the girly CD "games" which I have no interest in.  There are much better sources of "male entertainment" these days.  ;)

Chris

Obfuscate

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 06:01:07 AM »
Runin is so freaking hilarious in his reviews. Also, seems we have pretty similar taste in shooters, except I think Sinistron is garbage and he thinks it's a gem.

esteban

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
Runin is so freaking hilarious in his reviews. Also, seems we have pretty similar taste in shooters, except I think Sinistron is garbage and he thinks it's a gem.

OK, but what do you think of Sinistar?

I won't defend Sinistron right now because I am too tired.

|    | 

tggodfrey

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
Nightwolf, I dont get what your issue is lately, Considering that site is free to everyone to read ect, I would say a little respect is in order.  Granted Soccer games are not my thing either, its good to see that site isnt going to just fade away and fall off the edge of the interwebz.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

Obfuscate

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:26 AM »

OK, but what do you think of Sinistar?

I won't defend Sinistron right now because I am too tired.

No idea, never played it.

As for Sinistron, I just think it sucks. I never put too much time into it. They say the level 4 astroids are tough but I figured out a easy pattern right away to get through them. After a handful of plays I got to the last level and thought it was so stupid I put the game on the shelf never to play it again. It's not that I mind hard shooters, I've beaten Rayxanber 2 dozens of times. I've 1CC Nexzr many times, beaten Aeroblasters and other hard shooters, I just think Sinistron sucks so bad it's not worth the effort with so many other quality games I can spend my time with. Some reason Runin thinks it's one of the best games ever and I just don't get it other than he has some childhood memories of it.

Also, I try not to read the reviews till after I play a game unless I'm looking for something more obscure I want to know about before I buy.

Mathius

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »
I am tickled to see the site get its first update in almost a year! Everyone needs a break from things and I am glad to see Runin back at it. His reviews are always well written and engaging, which is a rarity on the internet. There are only a handful of sites I go to for well written reviews and features. Long live Teh Brothers! :D
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

NightWolve

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 07:36:08 AM »
Nightwolf, I dont get what your issue is lately, Considering that site is free to everyone to read ect, I would say a little respect is in order.  Granted Soccer games are not my thing either, its good to see that site isnt going to just fade away and fall off the edge of the interwebz.

Huh? First off, it's NightWolve, you can see it in every post. And wow! Do we have trouble taking a joke around here or what ? My "issue" and "lately" ?? Please ease up with the fanboyism! Please! The smileys and sarcasm don't give away that I'm just having a little fun with it ?

So this,
"So after a long hiatus, they gave us...what? Not one, but two reviews on two crappy-looking soccer games of all things ?? ;) Oh dear, I hope their server can brace for the Internet traffic that's headed their way after the fans find out about this! Hehe!"
was too much for you and apparently some others to handle ?? You're gonna rag on me for this ?  :roll:

I'm sure the site has as its mission to review every NEC game ever made, and that's fine, but don't expect me to get excited about soccer, tennis and/or golf games getting added (beyond it being an indicator that the site is still alive)... I'll never read the reviews or ever play the games - 100% sure about that. And that would not have been my choice in genre to return to after a year long hiatus, but whatever, I said it jokingly in a sarcastic fashion. Sorry if that's blasphemy to hardcore NEC/PCE fanboyism!

Yeah, it's a free site, but so what, I can't poke a little fun at something cause it's free ? That would take a lot of things off the table... You're making it far more negative than I intended it to be and it does strike me as being a bit overly sensitive/protective.

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »
Hurray, I was getting worried that the site was dead. So glad that it's back in action. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 03:44:18 AM »
and it does strike me as being a bit overly sensitive/protective.

Pot, meet kettle.

A nice lil puzzler is up now: Color Wars.

turboswimbz

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 03:59:50 AM »

Pot, meet kettle.

Sometimes I dream of what offspring a pot and kettle would make when i here this saying, I get my kettle all up in pot to see if I can make it happen. no results yet
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

geise

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 07:03:25 AM »
I got a new kettle for my birthday.  :dance:  It's also green instead of black.

NightWolve

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 12:32:56 PM »

Pot, meet kettle.

Referring to ??? The incident with him and shooting down my offer to Keranu I take it ? Well, I kinda stand by that. Here was an opportunity to meet Keranu in person -- someone I've known over a decade -- and save him at the very least on tow truck costs, and basically tggodfrey picked out 2 things that I said to demonstrate that I was not qualified and dangerous (he did it in an indirect, non-confrontational manner, but it was clear) for having mentioned the compression unions, which if used, would only have been for getting him to a shop and saving him on the tow truck cost, OR getting the car to my house to drop it off for a couple of days if I made a deal with him to fully replace all brake lines myself, etc. Anyway, I don't wanna drag that out here again, but I was genuinely angered by that.

Anyhow, I'd say he thought that there was genuine anger when I said, "So after a long hiatus, they gave us...what? Not one, but two reviews on two crappy-looking soccer games of all things ?? ;)" but that's taking it literally and I think personally as well... It wasn't a serious comment for the most part (in terms of the appearance of anger). I thought it strange to essentially call me back into the thread over this though... Everybody else just stated their opinion, and I'm pretty sure vestcoat at least got the joke.

I could've said it differently to make it more clearer, like this, "A year long absence and they come back with 2 lame-looking soccer games of all things ???!!! OUTRAGEOUS, I SAY! OUTRAGEOUS!!! C'mon guys!!! Oh boy, I sure hope their server can handle the web traffic that's headed their way when the fans find out about this!" Now maybe nobody else would've shared my amusement, but that was my angle. I dunno how many j/k (just kidding) disclaimers, "hehe"'s and smileys I would've had to add to prevent the ragging that occurred, but clearly one can't have a little fun around here without the joke being completely ruined with hurt feelings all around... Heh.

Same thing later, you came in and mentioned the Bikini game getting added, which provided yet another opportunity for some humor in that, yeah, I actually WOULD rather read a review on a Bikini game over a soccer one. ;) Mind you, I'm never gonna play that game either, wouldn't ever bother to download or buy it, but there would be better things to look at in that review. ;) I did actually read it and he's probably right about it sucking; the images look like pixelated messes and sounds like he forced himself to finish it (I guess NEC got what they wanted as far as peep-show, hentai, dating-sim type games with the PCFX, with hardware that was better suited for it...)

Anyway, there was ZERO anger on my part, it was sort of I'd say an angry fanboy caricature... Why would I be THAT genuinely upset about a gaming review website adding another review? There's no reason to get "angry" about that. As I said, I just saw an opportunity to poke fun at the fact that they came back with soccer games after a year long hiatus, nothing more. There is a strong dislike of the sports genre on my part that motivated it, but yeah, their intent is likely to review every NEC game ever made, so they gotta play through even all the stinkers of the library and what I think is the least popular genre. I'd save that genre for review till the very end myself, but whatever, it's not a genuine issue for me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:38:03 PM by NightWolve »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25:33 PM »
Referring to your seemingly being overly sensitive, I would guess.  I'm not saying whether it was warranted or not, but necros comment seemed to me to refer to the fact that you called tdgodfrey overly-sensitive in the midst of a post that some could suggest was the result of some over-sensitivity on your part.  Then your reaction to that was to assume that it was because of some other completely unrelated situation, which some might also suggest was the result of some over-sensitivity on your part.

I'm not saying that you were being that way, I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure that was what necro was referring to.

Chris

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »
Bingo, Venus.  I'm just a fanboy for being grateful for whatever I get, though, so what do I know?