Author Topic: Mock-up in ad VERSUS actual item shipped  (Read 434 times)

esteban

Mock-up in ad VERSUS actual item shipped
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:57:35 AM »
I didn't have time to create a proper page on my site, so I started this thread instead.

http://www.tg-16.com/new_turbografx_magazine_scans.htm

TG-16 advertisement (EGM, August 1989). Look closely at the the HuCARD's pictured on the final page. These HuCARD's (Victory Run and Legendary Axe) are mock-ups: fancy coverart like this would not appear on actual cards for years. ALSO, in the mock-up, the text for Legendary Axe is outlined in black (making the title significantly easier to read than the muddy design that ultimately went into production). Finding these minor things is one of the reasons why I enjoy reading/archiving old print.

I threw together some some comparisons this morning (click for larger image):

NOTE: The title font was originally white with black outline. Observe the axe blade in the final version (on right)--the tip of the blade actually is superimposed on top of the text layer (well the "E" at least). That's a subtle, but nice touch. Adds a bit of depth.

NOTE: The title text is slightly larger in the final version. Look at the Eiffel Tower and the "V" in "VICTORY" to see the different font size/placement. Again, the font color/embellishments (outlining) slightly change.

SOURCE: http://archives.tg-16.com/EGM/EGM_1989_08_ad.pdf (to see the original advertisement)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:11:20 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Frank_fjs

Re: Mock-up in ad VERSUS actual item shipped
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 04:42:18 AM »
Very interesting. :)

Always wondered why they cheaped out on the HuCard art with US releases, they're so boring and ugly compared to the Japanese cards.

ccovell

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »
I was always curious about the proto Turbografx system with the fluorescent yellow power switch and different joypad plug.

By the way, that "IBM PC Keyboard" was in fact a prototype PCE keyboard modified from the NEC PC-8801 computer.
The Tsushin Booster software actually has routines that detect button presses on this unreleased keyboard.

See: http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/sp_tsushinbooster.html

So it wasn't just some goofy magazine mock-up.

Lost Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »
Was there an ad mock-up of Bonk's Adventure with an orange style spine label?  I don't know why, but I swear I have seen that game with an orange spine...

esteban

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:10:35 AM »
Was there an ad mock-up of Bonk's Adventure with an orange style spine label?  I don't know why, but I swear I have seen that game with an orange spine...

We have a MISSION for fellow forum members to engage in...

I was always curious about the proto Turbografx system with the fluorescent yellow power switch and different joypad plug.

By the way, that "IBM PC Keyboard" was in fact a prototype PCE keyboard modified from the NEC PC-8801 computer.
The Tsushin Booster software actually has routines that detect button presses on this unreleased keyboard.

See: http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/sp_tsushinbooster.html

So it wasn't just some goofy magazine mock-up.

Awesome. I'm glad you clarified those points.

I'll have to update my post.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »

Always wondered why they cheaped out on the HuCard art with US releases, they're so boring and ugly compared to the Japanese cards.

The JP version of Victory Run in particular is one of my all time favorites, so dynamic. The US version seems to depict a drop top late 60s American sedan or something like that, something as far from a rally car as anything could possibly be.

jelloslug

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 03:03:43 AM »
Also notice that the jewel case itself for Victory Run is the Keith Courage style with no hold down clip.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:25:51 AM »
Also notice that the jewel case itself for Victory Run is the Keith Courage style with no hold down clip.

Yes! Of course, for the advertisement, it looks much better this way!

In practical terms, though, I've always felt the clip was the best solution (ugly and unwieldy, yes, but also secure).

The JP version of Victory Run in particular is one of my all time favorites, so dynamic. The US version seems to depict a drop top late 60s American sedan or something like that, something as far from a rally car as anything could possibly be.

I hear you. When I played this game as a kid, I always imagined driving a 1975 Cadillac DeVille from the streets of Paris to the open savannah in Africa.

|    | 

Lost Monkey

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
Here is a Duo ad from June 1993 Gamepro, where some of the CD's have mock-up inserts.

(never mind the mistake in the name of the file..)