Author Topic: Shape Shifter has made me very sad  (Read 893 times)

Jibbajaba

Re: Shape Shifter has made me very sad
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »
Shape Shifter was on my want-list, but this is making me rethink things.  Do you have to save your game, or can you just use passwords?

It would be nice if the Turbo Everdrive could be used as a memory back-up device.

Chris

Bardoly

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
One strange thing I noticed is when I started up a new game in Dragon Knight III again, my dude had the same stats as my lost game.  But once I activated a story element in the second city, he reverted back to a level 1 character. :(

Ummm...  I'm pretty sure that the going down to level one event is part of the game.

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
Carmen Sandiego can erase your files too?  I'd heard that Shape Shifter and Hi-Leg Fantasy can do that, and that Shadow of the Beast will erase everything in memory if there's not enough space for its save file when it tries to save, but hadn't heard about that one... huh.  I'll have to add it to my list ( http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=12247.msg237956#msg237956 ).

It would be great if it was possible for someone to make a patch that fixes this bug... too hard, I guess.  Yeah, it's a definite issue.

It's easier to swap out a save bank in ten seconds using a Tennokoe Bank than fooling around with cdrs.

But then you'd have to dedicate one whole bank on the Tennokoe Bank to just Shape Shifter, meaning that it'd effectively be using all 2000 blocks instead of the 177 that it actually takes up... quite a waste of space.

There are several games that overwrite other saves. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Hi Leg Fantasy.

True, but Shape Shifter is the only US release that does so (though that Shadow of the Beast note is important to know as well!).

Yeah, but there is no reason to hang on to a save file from Shapeshifter at the end of the game. You can't go anywhere or do anything but fight the final boss. Once you've played through it once, it can be beaten in an hour.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

roflmao

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »
Ummm...  I'm pretty sure that the going down to level one event is part of the game.

Really?  I knew he started out all buff and macho, but I thought in the first cutscene he gets beat up and his clothes taken, which reverted him to a level one character, but I could be wrong.  I've only started it once before so I don't really recall.

Either way, I've been able to almost catch up to where I previously was in a fraction of the time.  It's amazing how much time is saved when you aren't exploring every square inch, clicking on every object, talking to everyone, then talking to them again in case something triggered something, etc...  I think in under 5 hours I'm where it took me close to 15. :)

Shape Shifter was on my want-list, but this is making me rethink things.  Do you have to save your game, or can you just use passwords?

It doesn't have a password system.  If you have a Tennokoe Bank (they're cheap to pick up.  I think mine was somewhere in the vicinity of $5) you can avoid the frustration I ran into, though it is kind of tedious.  I haven't tried it yet.

Just use a different system with those games.  You have a working TG16 with CD right?  Carmen can use the system 13 card if you dont have the 2.0 for it.

Sorry, Bernie, no can do.  If I kept one game for just one system, the other games would rise up claiming favoritism, and revolt against me.  I just know it.

Both of my setups capture a different atmosphere.  One setup is my "classic" setup: tube tv, cd boombox for the speakers, daisy-chained rca selector boxes, sit on the floor or in bean bag type of chair to play.  The way these games are meant to be played. 

Then I have my living room setup: HD TV, surround sound, comfy reclining couch, coffee table, etc...  It's a totally different environment for gaming. 

Some games play better in one room or the other.  :D

Keith Courage

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
Shape Shifter is an awesome game!!! At least I like it.

DarkKobold

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »
One strange thing I noticed is when I started up a new game in Dragon Knight III again, my dude had the same stats as my lost game.  But once I activated a story element in the second city, he reverted back to a level 1 character. :(

I think you are just confusing how the story goes with your issue.

You start at a high level, 16ish iirc. And then, the priest restarts you at level 1, for some strange reason I don't remember. This is a standard part of the game play. 
Hey, you.

nodtveidt

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:59 AM »
Geez, as if I didn't already have enough to hate Shape Shifter for... I already knew it was a buggy game, but this is ridiculous. It's a prime example of why Americans sucked at game design back then.

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
Geez, as if I didn't already have enough to hate Shape Shifter for... I already knew it was a buggy game, but this is ridiculous. It's a prime example of why Americans sucked at game design back then.

It's more of an example of what happens when a game is shipped before being polished or off or really finished. Most/all of Icom's Turbo games had restrictive budgets and timelines and Nec/TTi was more interested in quickly adding quantity over quality to the Turbo library.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »

This has nothing to do with game design.  It's shitty programming/testing.   There's a difference, lol.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

CPTRAVE

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
i will take your game if you don't want it.  :mrgreen:

nodtveidt

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
This has nothing to do with game design.  It's shitty programming/testing.   There's a difference, lol.
Yes Sir, Captain Semantics! :P :lol:

Srsly did they even test this thing...

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »

Probably, but the testers were later sent to an assylum IIRC. :P

TheClash603

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:10 AM »
I like this game though.  There have been several arguments on this site if Shape Shifter is good.  Sucks that now there is more fuel for the "it is shitty" fire.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 02:46:18 AM »

Its not really semantics either!

Its like saying the game was poorly designed because the music sounds like shit and the art looks funny.   That's not the designers fault either, lol.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »
I usually back stuff up to a Tennokoe Bank huey before starting a new game, as ya never know when shit will happen.  This is especially true when starting a PCE rpg, since I can't read the chicken scratches warning me that it can't save.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles