Author Topic: 2-D shooters SHMUPS  (Read 1249 times)

tpivette

Re: 2-D shooters SHMUPS
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 03:08:04 PM »
Sapphire for sure, just for the visual experience. Blazing Lazers... my second Turbo game ever (1989), and just an awesome introduction to not only shooters, but to the TG16 as well (Keith Courage doesnt really count). Gate and Lords of Thunder... badass graphics/music/gameplay, really shows off the SCD potential.

While I have yet to experience the Soldier series, I definitely want to play these soon. Probably be the PCE versions as the US ones are kind of costly. They seem to resemble Blazing Lazers alot, so I'm sure I'll love them
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

rag-time4

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »
so i have never been much into the 2-D shooters.  I have tried to really get into them, but idk I never seem to find one I love, I like many of them, and even cleared a few, air zonk, fantasy zone, deep blue.  Yeah i know I'm not a huge fan yet I dodged my way through deep blue, silly right?.  anyway, recently got SSS and so far I do actually love it, I can't get past stage 3 yet, but I figure that's due to my lack of shmup skills thus far.  So I was wonder from some of the fans out there, what is your favorite part of the 2-D shooters, and what game got you hooked, how did you find out about that game?  What games do you feel offer the best experience?  (also i don't see why we can't talk about PCE shooters as well, since they will be bound to come up, and there is no sense in starting two separate threads)
I think that good music is very important to a good shooter... I think it was playing a couple stages in blazing lazers (5 desert and 8 bubble) at high volumes really got me hooked on the genre. Lords and Gate of Thunder have obvious aesthetic appeal, but the one shooter that really won me over with its gameplay is Image Fight..

Image Fight is a pretty tough game, but the control you get with the red pods really gives you an immersive feeling once you get into it. The rigid weapons in other shooters are extremely boring by comparison.

By the way, have you tried the flame weapon in SSS? Give it a couple tries now and then... be creative with how you fly as the flame sweeps back and forth. It's a unique experience! The flame can be very effective if you complement the movement of the flame with appropriate movement of your ship, staying in constant motion.

Otaking

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
so i have never been much into the 2-D shooters.

I like many of them, and even cleared a few, deep blue.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:09:10 AM by HardcoreOtaku »

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 12:41:38 AM »
I got into shooting games right after I got into video games back in maybe 1980 or 81. and ever since then this genre is my favorit of all genres out there.

that also got me into pce'ing in the frist place. that also encouraged me to get all the shewties available on the system :)

"she" sure is the queen (king) of all 8/16-bit shewties :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »
So I was wonder from some of the fans out there, what is your favorite part of the 2-D shooters, and what game got you hooked, how did you find out about that game? 
I remember playing Super Cobra in the arcade and loving it in my youth(thank you Galloping!). It's on my want list for "classsic" cabs but Stern hardware, I've heard, is finicky. Then I remember R-type and Side Arms...good thing I could get them both on TG! Raiden was hot shit in the day, but it's only when I played Viper Phase 1 (followed by Raiden Fighters series -same hardware) when I really appeciated Raiden. Saturn took care of my arcade ports with Dairus, Metal Black, Sexy Parodius, etc. Of course Cave entered my vocabulary soon after with Ikaruga and Mushi("Bug Bitch").

What about genesis?  I haven't played any shooters on the genny that I remember standing out.
Musha is the easy answer on that, but prices are getting silly. Others worth mentioning: Lightening Force(TF4), Steel Empire, Thunder Force III, Trouble Shooter and Wings of Wor. I own all those, so I can feel good about recommending them. Turbo is still my go-to console for my shooters though.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

SuperDeadite

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 01:57:15 AM »
Shooters are the same as every other genre really.  80% of them suck.  It's not about "learning to enjoy shooters."  So much as it is just finding a shooter you actually like.  If you are forcing yourself to play a game in the hopes of "getting it", you are playing the wrong game.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

geise

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 02:16:40 AM »
"getting it"

You mean like most Cave games? :)

Otaking

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »
"getting it"

ahhhgh you kill my mothership with pink bullets

SuperDeadite

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 02:26:54 AM »
"getting it"

I'd say Treasure is a better example. ;)

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 02:28:56 AM »
I've tried newer shooters on multiple occasions but always go back to older stuff. I guess I don't get it either.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Otaking

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 02:36:03 AM »
Well if you like firework displays burnt into your retinas, epileptic fits and induced seizures maybe give some Touhou games a spin.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 02:51:02 AM »
I don't find Cave's offerings to be a lot of fun in long term situations.  But the non-stop barrage of bullets is quite the adrenline rush in small bursts.  Meaning, as an actual arcade experience, it can be very awesome.  But their scoring systems are rather stupid and should be forgotten by 99% of players.

Radiant Silvergun is the ultimate overblown shooter imo.  Beyond graphics, style, and I suppose music, there is nothing good about that game.  People defend it to the death, but damn the gameplay is just horrid.

KingDrool

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 03:08:54 AM »
Radiant Silvergun is the ultimate overblown shooter imo.  Beyond graphics, style, and I suppose music, there is nothing good about that game.  People defend it to the death, but damn the gameplay is just horrid.

Please elaborate.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 03:16:23 AM »
SHUMP SHUMP SHUMP.

I like Gall Force for FDS or MSX
Steam Hearts for PCE/Saturn
Gulkave for MSX/stuff
Wings of Wor is cool
Phelios was fun although gimpy in comparison to the arcade
You also can't go wrong with Sol Feace on Sega CD
Tiger Heli for NES

man, Tiger Heli

oh, and Gun.Smoke

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »

Please elaborate.

Ugh, do I really have to do this again?  Oh well,  in order to play RSG properly, you have to correctly chain the entire game.  If you don't chain, you will be far too weak, and the boss fights will go on for 20 mins or more each.  Meaning, to be good at RSG, you have to already be good at RSG.  IE, gameplay is shit.  Memorize every single enemy pattern or you are boned.  I can't imagine how anyone can find that enjoyable.

To make up for the garbage gameplay, the Saturn version allows you to save your levels and begin the game at the max powerup level.  So in other words, play long enough and you don't have to care anymore.  Not to mention it makes the first half of the game pointless.  No matter how you play it, it's broken.