Author Topic: 2-D shooters SHMUPS  (Read 1245 times)

KingDrool

Re: 2-D shooters SHMUPS
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 03:52:40 AM »
Sorry, I don't recall ever reading your opinion on Radiant Silvergun before. Please send me a link to "The Compendium of SuperDeadite's Opinions on Everything" and I'll peruse it before I ask you a question next time. ;)

But I can see why that gameplay style isn't for everyone. A friend of mine refers to it as a "puzzle shooter" and I agree. But calling the gameplay "shit" is a bit much, IMO. It's just a different style of shooter. It's really unique, it challenges my brain, and I love it for that.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

bartre

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 04:00:11 AM »
Radiant Silvergun is the ultimate overblown shooter imo.  Beyond graphics, style, and I suppose music, there is nothing good about that game.  People defend it to the death, but damn the gameplay is just horrid.

Please elaborate.

Ugh, do I really have to do this again?  Oh well,  in order to play RSG properly, you have to correctly chain the entire game.  If you don't chain, you will be far too weak, and the boss fights will go on for 20 mins or more each.  Meaning, to be good at RSG, you have to already be good at RSG.  IE, gameplay is shit.  Memorize every single enemy pattern or you are boned.  I can't imagine how anyone can find that enjoyable.

To make up for the garbage gameplay, the Saturn version allows you to save your levels and begin the game at the max powerup level.  So in other words, play long enough and you don't have to care anymore.  Not to mention it makes the first half of the game pointless.  No matter how you play it, it's broken.
agreed, i totally agree here, RSG is way overblown.
I like Radilgy, though i haven't spent too much time with it yet.

my fave shmup though still probably goes to Sokyugurentai, love it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 04:02:43 AM »
alot of these new shooters are dumb.

I have Otomedius and it f*cking annoys me how gimpy the game plays.

You don't get pixel perfect excitement.   You get slippery 3D bullshit with particle effects, so your mileage always varies.   It's lame.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

KingDrool

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 04:20:39 AM »
f*ck yes, Otomedius was TERRIBLE! I hate the shit out of that game.

As for Cave shooters, if you're not into the whole bullet hell thing, the Deathsmiles games are pretty cool. And yeah, Soukyugurentai is bad ass.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

SuperDeadite

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 04:21:36 AM »
Sorry, I don't recall ever reading your opinion on Radiant Silvergun before. Please send me a link to "The Compendium of SuperDeadite's Opinions on Everything" and I'll peruse it before I ask you a question next time. ;)

"It's just a different style of shooter."

1.  You clearly need to hang out in chat more.
2.  I've heard that so many times.  I've owned the game for over 10 years, every year or so I pull it out hoping for something to change, but it still just isn't any fun to play.  I really don't consider memorization to be a puzzle, if anything it's a dancing game.  And I like to actually shoot stuff.  This is the direct opposite of RSG, where often you need to let enemies run off the screen, cause shooting the wrong ones screws you over.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

KingDrool

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 04:23:42 AM »
Different strokes, my friend.

(there is no chat).

Got one to sell? PM me!

SuperDeadite

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:56 AM »
?  There is a chat, and most of use are there every day.  :)  Join us!

KingDrool

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 04:28:24 AM »
Where? Over on Paul's site?

Got one to sell? PM me!

SuperDeadite

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 05:03:27 AM »

Obfuscate

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 05:13:02 AM »
The Games that Hooked me on Shooters were:

Gate of Thunder (I got the Duo the Christmas it came out and the game blew me away)
Soldier Blade (After having Gate of Thunder I bought Soldier Blade and liked that even more)

Other Turbo/PCE Shooters everyone should own:

Nexzr, Macross 2036, Lords of Thunder, Cotton, Rayxanber 2 and Spriggan.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »
I stopped going to the chat for awhile because every time I go its just 68k rambling.   Boring as hell.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 06:22:25 AM »
I stopped going to the chat for awhile because every time I go its just 68k rambling.   Boring as hell.

Get one, join the party.  Then it's fun. :)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
Not really.  I don't see the point of getting a 68k so I can talk to the other 2 owners of one about it, lol.

Plus, I had one before.  and an FM Downs.   Sold that shit because MSX and Turbob = betterbob

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
I'm not big on bullet hell shooters, so that'd probably make me an outcast in most shmup communities these days. Even though it's no shining example of the genre, I'd even take Otomedius over the average bullet hell if only because it plays more like classic shooters. I actually like having stage design to interact with, so when you got a bullet hell shooter with completely empty screens save for the enemies and bullets, I find it boring. They seem to revel in their cheapness too, while I prefer shooters that are challenging but not being intentionally unfair.

Anyway, the TwinBee games were the first shmups I really got addicted to. It's still my favorite shmup series. Pop'n TwinBee on Super Famicom is probably my favorite, but I love the PC Engine version of Detana! TwinBee as well, even more than the arcade original since the port is more balanced. My favorite shmup period is probably Dragon Spirit, but I'm actually not that big on the arcade or TG-16 versions. Even though it's a downgrade in graphics, the NES version is faster and tighter. As you can tell, I really like shmups with two planes of combat, shooting enemies in the sky and bombing enemies on land. As for horizontal shmups, I'd probably have to go with Gate of Thunder as my fave.

Drakon

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
Radian silvergun is confusing for sure.  I also don't find radiant silvergun to be a very fun experience.  But I do like watching superplays of radiant silvergun!

*edit* oh man I forgot to mention spriggan that game rules!  Especially on the pc engine cd.

Radiant Silvergun is the ultimate overblown shooter imo.  Beyond graphics, style, and I suppose music, there is nothing good about that game.  People defend it to the death, but damn the gameplay is just horrid.

Please elaborate.

Ugh, do I really have to do this again?  Oh well,  in order to play RSG properly, you have to correctly chain the entire game.  If you don't chain, you will be far too weak, and the boss fights will go on for 20 mins or more each.  Meaning, to be good at RSG, you have to already be good at RSG.  IE, gameplay is shit.  Memorize every single enemy pattern or you are boned.  I can't imagine how anyone can find that enjoyable.

To make up for the garbage gameplay, the Saturn version allows you to save your levels and begin the game at the max powerup level.  So in other words, play long enough and you don't have to care anymore.  Not to mention it makes the first half of the game pointless.  No matter how you play it, it's broken.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:50:04 PM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."