Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 684 times)

SuperPlay

Re: Windows 8
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 02:33:38 AM »
I have installed this today.

I have been looking at this with totally new eyes with no pre-conceptions.  However I have a few frustrations already!

I am not going to make a full review as there are plenty of these all over the web.  However I will post back later my experiences once I have used it for a few days.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »
How much Ram will it take?
2 gigs. But really, RAM is so cheap these days and if you have a pc made from the past 3 years or so that's really not an issue. If you are smart, stick to Windows 7 just for the simple reason that its backup system is so much better than 8. Not only that, but hard drives these days have a lot higher failure rate than say before the flooding of Thailand. Of course you could go solid state, but do you really want to spend $300+ on a 512 gig drive vs getting 2 high end 2 terabyte drives for the same price? Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Windows 8 definitely won't get much support from the business community that much is for certain.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
Windows 8 definitely won't get much support from the business community that much is for certain.

Early on I dont think the gaming and modder community is going to care much for it either. Game performance currently is the same or lower depending on the game being played, and many people don't like all the crap you have to do to get a normal desktop interface going, among other things. Maybe as time goes on it will be more accepted, but personally, I see this as another Vista, and I ditched Vista after a week or two and went back to Xp until Win 7.

vestcoat

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
However I will post back later my experiences once I have used it for a few days.
Sweet. Please do.

2 gigs.
Netbooks and stuff with 32-bit Windows only need 1GB RAM.

nodtveidt

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
I think I'll stick with XP...

esteban

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »

I'll stick with Me...
  |    | 

SuperPlay

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 03:01:30 AM »
I found this short vid quite good:

Learn Windows 8 in 3 minutes (OK, it's really 4)

Duo_R

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 04:19:31 AM »
Thanks for the video. Anyone check out Win 8 mobile devices? Comes out in a couple weeks. I see it having a hard time taking share from iOS and Android.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 06:05:04 AM »
Thanks for the video. Anyone check out Win 8 mobile devices? Comes out in a couple weeks. I see it having a hard time taking share from iOS and Android.
Yeah if its the RT version you can't join a domain and use Remote Desktop. Kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Windows Tablet vs the other guys at least in the business world. Unless you go Pro (haven't seen any tablets wit that yet) that will add quite a bit more for the price.
However I will post back later my experiences once I have used it for a few days.
Sweet. Please do.

2 gigs.
Netbooks and stuff with 32-bit Windows only need 1GB RAM.
Have you tried running Windows 7 with less than 2 gigs of RAM? It works, but not very good at all. I imagine Windows 8 will be even worse to work with if you don't got the RAM. I suppose if its the basic version or RT maybe but even then thats pushing it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:24:14 AM by BigusSchmuck »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »
Yeah, that's why I said, "All of it". If you have to ask, you don't have enough. The more you have, the better it will run, at least up to about 8GB, after that you might not notice an improvement. This is just the way OS are ever since the mid 90s and the advent of swap discs. Before swap discs it was easier...the OS would just tell you to f*ck off and buy more RAM!

vestcoat

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »
Have you tried running Windows 7 with less than 2 gigs of RAM? It works, but not very good at all. I imagine Windows 8 will be even worse to work with if you don't got the RAM. I suppose if its the basic version or
Yeah, my lady's netbook runs Windows 7 Starter (32-bit) with 1GB. The RAM keeps up with Avast, Mozilla, and MS Word just fine. The bottleneck for her is the pathetic 1.6GHz processor.

I'm a diehard XP user (I initially downgraded my Win7 laptop to XP for a year and a half), but Windows 7 finally won me over with its ability to haul ass. Fast new processors, a 64-bit OS that's SSD friendly, and no stupid 3GB RAM limit really make a difference. It's also getting hard to find new components that don't have random glitches in XP. All of my annoying little problems with SATA, E-SATA, USB 3, and a graphics card evaporated when I switched over.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 08:14:40 AM »
Have you tried running Windows 7 with less than 2 gigs of RAM? It works, but not very good at all. I imagine Windows 8 will be even worse to work with if you don't got the RAM. I suppose if its the basic version or
Yeah, my lady's netbook runs Windows 7 Starter (32-bit) with 1GB. The RAM keeps up with Avast, Mozilla, and MS Word just fine. The bottleneck for her is the pathetic 1.6GHz processor.

I'm a diehard XP user (I initially downgraded my Win7 laptop to XP for a year and a half), but Windows 7 finally won me over with its ability to haul ass. Fast new processors, a 64-bit OS that's SSD friendly, and no stupid 3GB RAM limit really make a difference. It's also getting hard to find new components that don't have random glitches in XP. All of my annoying little problems with SATA, E-SATA, USB 3, and a graphics card evaporated when I switched over.
Yeah, try running a solid state in Windows XP, its not a pleasant experience. :)

Marll

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
Installed it on my home gaming machine this weekend. Performance is good, games run great, but most of my time was spent trying to replicate the Win7 experience. The switch between Metro and Desktop is very disjointed feeling and doesn't flow well. I could see the OS being good for a tablet, but for a PC Metro just doesn't work well IMO.

I may keep it installed to get the performance benefits, but tailor it as much as possible to maintain the look of Win7.

I will install on my wife's machine too. Since she generally logs in and launches only LOTRO, GW2 or Diablo 3, the metro UI may be ok for her. The fact that you can't easily set your own Start background with a picture will annoy her though I'm sure LOL.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
I've been thinking of building me a new computer, but I don't think I like the looks of Windows 8, though honestly I haven't given it much of a chance.  Hopefully the backlash will be strong enough and they whip out a service pack that lets you disable the Metro interface entirely (the way it should be, dammit).

I'll stick with Me...

I will stick with Bob.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

KnightWarrior

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
I found this short vid quite good:

Learn Windows 8 in 3 minutes (OK, it's really 4)

Windows 8 looks like a cluckerf*ck for me, Will it have Classic Mode for like Win 7??