Author Topic: So there's this Dino Force alpha version...  (Read 11803 times)

Flare65

Re: So there's this Dino Force alpha version...
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
From what little I've seen of this game, it looks shitty.  As much as i love the PC Engine/TG16, there was a ton of shit games that were released for it and this one looks like another turd to throw on the pile.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
Release a physical copy. Give some money to Beagle, everybody wins.

I'm Paranoia Dragon, & I approve of this message! :D

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
I'm suspect of the quality of the game myself simply due to them only wanting to show a few seconds of the game. No enemies, no letting you hear music or sound fx. It leaves me to believe the game probably really is crap. I mean, them actually showing gameplay is not going to hurt the value unless the game is just utter shit. If it's a good game I mean, then they have no reason not to show more gameplay and boost interest.

vestcoat

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
I'm suspect of the quality of the game myself simply due to them only wanting to show a few seconds of the game. No enemies, no letting you hear music or sound fx. It leaves me to believe the game probably really is crap.
From what little I've seen of this game, it looks shitty.  As much as i love the PC Engine/TG16, there was a ton of shit games that were released for it and this one looks like another turd to throw on the pile.
You guys are probably right, but why piss all over the thread? Prof - I know you expressed interest in Pit Fighter, but there seem to be a few members here who never want to see another game added to the PCE/TG library for the rest of their lives.

Sure, there are 600-700 other games available for the PCE. I get that. Yes, Implode sucks, MB and Insanity are ancient arcade clones, Mysterious Song was available for free ten years ago, the backgrounds in Xymati show weird neighborhoods without roads, Dino Force probably sucks, and other ports of Marble Madness were made. Why state the obvious? You're entitled to your opinions, but I'm sick of listening to the Bitch and Moan LP every time an unreleased game is discussed. Negativity kills enthusiasm and without enthusiasm no one develops games or shares prototypes for unprofitable dead consoles.

I don't care about the caliber of new releases. The TG is favorite system and I'll welcome any hacked, ill-conceived homebrew and unfinished prototype that I can add to my shelf.

Now, if you guys don't mind, I'm going to get excited and fap all over my collection.

nodtveidt

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »
Ugh... Pit Fighter is one of the worst fighting games ever devised, but despite that, I dropped quite a few quarters into a Pit Fighter machine in my youth and would be willing to give it a proper PCE conversion someday.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »
Because you mentioned homebrew, I'd like to say that part of the trap that goes hand in hand with that is that sometimes the people doing the games are really programming games they want to play personally, rather then the general audience. Usually it works out well anyway, but sometimes not so much. For me I really only prefer to spend money on stuff I know for sure I will play, if only for a few times anyway. I just like making sure I am going to get my moneys worth, and yeah, I'm going to be critical on everything, graphics, music, soundfx, controls, etc at times. My game buying habits as a adult are the same as they were when I was a kid. I want to have fun with what I play, and I want to be impressed. Why should I give anyone my money if neither happens?

When I know the system hardware is capable of doing a lot, I expect a lot to be done on the system. I guess to some extent that makes me spoiled. But then again, I find I even enjoy weird odd ball stuff like Robodemons on Nes, which could pass for a subpar homebrew visually, but is so out there otherwise that it kinda makes up for the lack of visuals and tight controls.

I had hopes for Dinoforce due to the screen shots, but seriously man, somethings up if they are not willing to show more then what they did. I am sure someone will nab it regardless for 6 grand or whatever, but whoever does prob wont release it. And if the game sucks, you know they will be too embarrassed to admit it after putting up that much scratch over it. What I'd really hate to see is people here putting in 100-150 per person only to end up with a total dud.

While you might be happy with the outcome, because you're just desperate for anything new you can get your hands on, others may feel screwed if it ends up sucking. Even at 100 bucks, I'd want to know what I was getting in advance, especially after the Eat Communism joke too. Due to that, for all you know someone could have taken a note from that and faked the actual prototype from scratch. Knowing what you're getting into is a reasonable request, and the people behind this sale seem to be inclined to hold back that kind of info due to what evidently seems to be Solid Snakes old nemesis Big Boss's request for details to be withheld. If I saw enough of the game to know it is complete enough to be considered a finished product that looks fun, I'd consider throwing down 50 bucks or so into a group effort. As is, no way would I do so.

And speaking of Pit-Fighter, I'd pay good money for a Arcade Card port of Time Killers, if someone actually wanted to bother working out a deal with Incredible Technologies and Strata for the rights. Or for that matter if someone made something similar, corny, fun, and ultra violent. Not like the TG/PCE couldn't handle it with a arcade card and all. I'd even be willing to help with character design.

lord_cack

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
Or for that matter if someone made something similar, corny, fun, and ultra violent. Not like the TG/PCE couldn't handle it with a arcade card and all. I'd even be willing to help with character design.

Now THIS is something I can get behind, EVERYTIME! Something original. I think whats nice about this community is that it really does have a lot of people willing to program titles (of course if we could all work together that would be awesome as well hehe) Sure, its their hobby not their job and you will have to wait till they have the time to complete the games but original titles and ideas coming out would be the best.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:47 PM »
Seriously. I mean, you have titles like Time Killers, Smash TV, Bloodstorm, Eternal Champions, Pit Fighter, MK1, Survival Arts, etc. Nice, ultra violent, trashy, didn't take their-selves too seriously, and were just plain fun to play. Theres no reason why the same thing cant be done on the Tg/Pce. I mean, can you imagine Arkhan taking his experience from working on Insanity, and using that to make a game similar to Smash TV, with a gameshow theme, and ultra violence, but lets say have it in a old haunted mansion type setting with zombies, demons, etc?

nodtveidt

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
I've thought about doing Smash TV... after all, the NES got a friggin conversion, so doing it on the PCE would be braindead simple. Time Killers is another *horrible* game but that just leaves plenty of room for improvement... concepts are f*cking cool but the execution sucks goat nads. That'd be a pretty sweet ACD six-button game if it was tightened up a bit. It's supposed to be a secret, but Fragmare and I started on a Mortal Kombat conversion a few years back but we didn't get very far on it... it's a lot of work to rip all those sprites, and we lacked a proper ACD library at the time (it was the reason I started making my own). Now, Tom's ACD library is out and it's pretty damn good so making an ACD game today is just a matter of preparation of the data transfers.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
Another couple of games that come to mind, Two Crude Dudes and Dead Connection.

Sadler

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
Let's set up a legit source for this. Indiegogo, trusted member, whatever. I'm up for a few hundred.

EDIT: I'm talking about Dino Force here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:41:05 PM by Sadler »

nodtveidt

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
Hah, Dead Connection would be interesting... come to think of it, that too has crossed my mind once... but figured that the whole bit of single-screen action might be a bit... well, substandard for the PCE's capabilities.

lkermel

« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
Count me in for Dino Force - I'm ready to put $100

shubibiman

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
Cool! We're already 4 members at Necstasy ready to put 100€ in for a public release.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

lord_cack

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
 ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....