Author Topic: Us Turboduo or Jp Turboduo-r ???  (Read 617 times)

Nec.Game.head

Us Turboduo or Jp Turboduo-r ???
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
Hello everyone I'm new here to this amazing site and was just wondering If any of you could help me out with this .. I already own a Turbografx 16 and 2 Turbografx 16 expresses .. Ive been trying to get my hands on a Us Duo but I have had no luck finding one for a reasonable price online .. After doing some research I found out I could get a newer version of the Duo from Japan and just do a region mod myself .. So my question is, would a Duo-r be better to buy over the older Us duo ??? I'm looking for longevity and not so much rarity in the console I decide to buy ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

tpivette

Re: Us Turboduo or Jp Turboduo-r ???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
A region modded Japanese Duo or Duo R would be the cheapest way to go to play all the NEC games...
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply .. I read that the Tg 16 cd breaks down quite a bit plus you also need a system 3.0 card to play the better games so that's out of the question .. And I also read the first gen Duo's also have problems breaking down on people quite often .. But what I was wondering was, is the Duo-r a better made console over the Us first gen Duo ???
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
There are mixed feelings on which is better, but I prefer the black PCE Duo/Turbo Duo.  A simple cap change fixes most issues.

Marll

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
I know from reading the repair threads here that 1st gen Duos do seem to have cap problems, but that's a relatively simple/inexpensive fix if you can find one for a good price.

As far as the TGCD, not sure it totally deserves a rep for breaking down, but I may just be lucky that mine has logged probably 1000s of hours and been running since 1990.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

bartre

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
personally, I haven't seen much of a difference between a Duo and a Duo-r/-rx
I'd say to just go with the one you like the looks of better, and if it's a regular duo, make sure the caps are replaced, or get them replaced.
I went with the Duo-R myself, as i just like the looks of that system, and i got a hell of a deal on mine.

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »
Depending on the price of a US Turbo grafx it may not be much more to have it region modded to use the much cheaper 3.0 JP super CD card.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
The OG Duo looks the best! What a sexy beast! The DUOR is a solid system but looks kind of like a 90's Ford sedan to me.

Keith Courage

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »
I had to think about that comment for a bit. So if the duo-r is a 90s sedan with its curves then the original duo must be an 80s muscle car since it's more blocky(84 mustang)?

Bernie

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
I had to think about that comment for a bit. So if the duo-r is a 90s sedan with its curves then the original duo must be an 80s muscle car since it's more blocky(84 mustang)?

Nah, more late 60's style.  :)

bartre

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
hmm, that might be why i like the Duo-R...
I've always been more about the nice luxury cars, rather than the manly manly muscle cars.
that said, the OG duo is a nice machine, i just prefer the R.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
I don't mind the curves on the Duo-R, I think they look nice. If they made the R's in black that would be cool too.

TR0N

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
TG16+Turbo-CD:It's flaw gears in the cd-rom can break and need to be replaced,btw keith and chop5 do offer a fix for it.

PCE/Turbo Duo:It's flaw sound issue from worn out capacitor's which needed to be replaced.

Duo-R&RX:It's flaw none that i know and the most reliable model out there.

Still what pce you want is up to to you nec.game.head.My current setup is a duo-r and it runs fine still.Now i have a TG16+Turbo-CD as well but i own one for nostalgia sake,since it was the first console i had by nec.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

thesteve

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »
the black duo with new caps should be as reliable as any later builds.
the later duo uses a cheap composite board (as does the TG16) easily cracked if abused.
the black duo uses a high impact fiberglass board and high impact housing.
the DUO-RX is the same as the -R except for an upgraded CD drive.
when playing a badly scratched disc, or bad CDR the duo laser can get stuck at the outer edge, the -RX cannot.

420GOAT

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:51:18 AM »

80's Irocs are cooler!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.