Author Topic: Us Turboduo or Jp Turboduo-r ???  (Read 614 times)

tpivette

Re: Us Turboduo or Jp Turboduo-r ???
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »
If you had to compare the black Duo to a car, I'd say its definitely a Grand National or 80s Trans Am
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:04:05 AM by tpivette »
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

CPTRAVE

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
I had to think about that comment for a bit. So if the duo-r is a 90s sedan with its curves then the original duo must be an 80s muscle car since it's more blocky(84 mustang)?

Nah, more late 60's style.  :)

I prefer the U.S. TurboDuo better look 60's style :P

fraggore

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
i have both and i do like the look of the original duo its a nice looking machine and if its been re-capped its all good.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

fraggore

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
If you had to compare the black Duo to a car, I'd say its definitely a Grand National or 80s Trans Am

ohh i love american muscle cars would give my left arm and testicle for a 69 carmaro or a pontaic firebird
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

xelement5x

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
the black duo with new caps should be as reliable as any later builds.
the later duo uses a cheap composite board (as does the TG16) easily cracked if abused.
the black duo uses a high impact fiberglass board and high impact housing.
the DUO-RX is the same as the -R except for an upgraded CD drive.
when playing a badly scratched disc, or bad CDR the duo laser can get stuck at the outer edge, the -RX cannot.

Nice breakdown!  I've never seen the pros and cons so concisely stated.

I'm glad I've got a Duo-RX though, it's served me admirably so far.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

vestcoat

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
the later duo uses a cheap composite board (as does the TG16) easily cracked if abused.
when playing a badly scratched disc, or bad CDR the duo laser can get stuck at the outer edge, the -RX cannot.

Nice breakdown!  I've never seen the pros and cons so concisely stated.
Yeah, this should be reposted and stickied. People have been asking about this once a week. The only thing I would add is that CD-ROM's also handle CD-Rs fairly well, better than black Duo's. (Of course, anyone who wants to play CD-Rs should just get a USB controller or a modded XBOX, rather than wearing out lenses, replacing them, and stripping screws in rare, original hardware.)

nectarsis

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:20 AM »

What is upgraded on the RX cd drive?  I thought it was always stated that the only difference was the controller, and cosmetic (color, logo, etc)...
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

thesteve

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
the large gear that moves the laser has had a clutch added, so it can slip if the motor attempts to drive the sled through a wall.

a good laser on a black duo has no issues with CDR's

csgx1

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »

ohh i love american muscle cars would give my left arm and testicle for a 69 carmaro or a pontaic firebird

I do like American muscle cars but the Duo no doubt has Japanese roots.  I'd compare it to a Honda NSX: both made in Japan in the same era and both have a exotic style/design.    

Here's a funny similarity to the Duo: The NSX also suffers from defective/leaky caps in the climate control unit. 

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 05:35:34 AM »
Wow I got more responses then I thought I would .. You guys all helped me out quite a bit on giving me all the specs, and the differences on each gen Duo .. Now I most definitely know what I'm going to buy, an original black Jp Duo pre modded from a person on this site for a good price .. Buy a couple of Obey chips from another dude on this site, and hunt down a sexy Duo-Rx in the box complete and install the mod chip myself .. The beastly black duo will be in my living room for all my buddies to enjoy with me, and the white sexy bitch of a Duo-Rx will be in my bedroom just for myself to use !!! I had a great time reading all your post on the likes and preferences of each one's taste on all the kick ass Duo's that were ever made ..
                                            THANK YOU GUYS ALL SO MUCH !!! 
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Bernie

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
Glad we could help.  :)

TR0N

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
Wow I got more responses then I thought I would .. You guys all helped me out quite a bit on giving me all the specs, and the differences on each gen Duo .. Now I most definitely know what I'm going to buy, an original black Jp Duo pre modded from a person on this site for a good price .. Buy a couple of Obey chips from another dude on this site, and hunt down a sexy Duo-Rx in the box complete and install the mod chip myself .. The beastly black duo will be in my living room for all my buddies to enjoy with me, and the white sexy bitch of a Duo-Rx will be in my bedroom just for myself to use !!! I had a great time reading all your post on the likes and preferences of each one's taste on all the kick ass Duo's that were ever made ..
                                            THANK YOU GUYS ALL SO MUCH !!! 
You're welcome on the advice here.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

GohanX

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2012, 06:49:26 AM »
I had no idea there was a difference in Duo R and RX lasers. Thanks, Professor Steve!

thesteve

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 06:51:46 AM »
the laser is the same, its an upgrade to the same mech (interchangeable)