Author Topic: Super score !!! Tg16 cd player only obtained !!!  (Read 776 times)

Nec.Game.head

Super score !!! Tg16 cd player only obtained !!!
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:04:52 AM »
Hey everyone .. Just posting up a question regarding the Tg16 cd maybe someone can help me figuring out this one .. A friend of mine randomly showed up to my house the other day with a Tg16 cd player by itself .. Now this dude doesn't play video games at all. He just mentioned to me that the last time he came over he saw me playing my Tg16 and he had asked me about it .. I told him it was a very advanced technical console from back in the day, I showed him my Tg16 Express and and explained to him how the game cards/Hu cards were interchangeable .. He was amazed !! I also mentioned to him about the cd add on for it called the Tg16 cd .. I told him it was the very first console with an ad on for cd support games .. He was amazed and shocked !! Now here's the cool part he was cleaning out his mothers garage the other day and found the Tg16 cd player and saw it had the word Nec on it .. He flipped it over upside down and read the word Turbografx 16 cd on it also.. He totally knew what it was for, so he brought it over for me as a gift .. I asked him how in the hell did this end up in your mamas garage ?? He said his mom bought it for him around 97 at a yard sale thinking it was a portable disc man .. He was never able to use it to say the least ..

I downloaded a few Tg16 iso and burned it, test it out and it fully played all the music sound tracks from the game .. Now here's what I'm wondering ?? Since it worked does it mean if I buy the docking station for it and the system 2.0 card plus the Tg16 cd ac adapter .. Should the setup work for me ?? I don't have any friends with a complete Tg16 cd to test out the cd player on it ..

AH MAN THAT WOULD BE TO SWEET IF IT WERE THAT SIMPLE TO OBTAINED TG16 CD BLISS !!!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

FiftyQuid

Re: Super score !!! Tg16 cd player only obtained !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:54 AM »
Yep, it should work fine.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:44:40 AM »
Pics or it didnt happen

And congrats that a pretty sweet and random score
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

esteban

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 08:11:27 AM »

ASIDE: Events like this NEVER happen to me. Ever.
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:26:43 AM »
Now here's what I'm wondering ?? Since it worked does it mean if I buy the docking station for it and the system 2.0 card plus the Tg16 cd ac adapter .. Should the setup work for me ?? I don't have any friends with a complete Tg16 cd to test out the cd player on it ..

Yes, it should all work. A few recommendations about your search for parts:
*The original AC adapter for the TGCD is difficult to find and tends to be expensive. Buy an aftermarket one here:
http://www.retrogamecave.com/nec-ac_adapter.html
*the docking interface is pretty common - there's one on ebay for $50+ - but try posting a WTB or asking some of the repair guys here first.
*The U.S. 2.0 card is cheap, but annoyingly uncommon. Don't get impatient and waste $25 on a BIN! Skip the 2.0 card entirely and buy a PC-Engine 3.0 card. They can be found for $10-20 and, believe me, you'll want to play Super CDs. Region mod your TurboGrafx or buy a dirt-cheap Chopsado converter to get around the card's region protection.

Have fun!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
Heh, nice friend.  +1 on vestcoat's advice, plus I'd inspect the gears for wear and/or dried up grease and repair as needed.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

csgx1

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:57:58 AM »
Nice score! Sounds like a working drive.  Cool of your friend to give it to you as a gift. 

As mentioned already, be sure to eventually inspect, clean, and lube the gears.  The middle gear is prone to get brittle and break teeth.

tpivette

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
Awesome score! If only things like that would fall into my lap!

You should be good to go with the mentioned aftermarket A/C adapter, a docking base, and a system card. Good luck!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »
lol here's a picture of myself and my Tg16 cd player score !! Awesome I'm really glad to hear I maybe in luck with this one !! I'm hoping I can find a Tg16 cd docking station for a decent price, and will make sure to buy a less expensive after market ac adapter from retrogamecave.com .. I'm gonna buy some Obey region free mod chips from BlueBMW and mod it myself, buy a Jp system 3.0 card and I should be good to go !! thanks for the tips vestcoat & Necromancer .. Oh by the way ?? Is it fairly simple to service a Tg16 cd player ??
                                                THANK FOR ALL THE REPLY'S AND HELP YOU GUYS !!

http://imageshack.us/a/img141/147/dscn1473.png
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
Amazingly the great drive didn't destroy itself after being used for the first time in 15 years. You got lucky.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
Wow It hadn't even occurred to me that the gears could have had been dry/stuck together from not having fresh grease on them anymore !! My friend recalls it being around 97 when his my bought the loose Tg16 cd player by it self .. Hm now I'm wondering at what point did that Tg16 cd player and the rest of it's components get separated ?? I guess I really did get lucky .. I most definitely need to take it apart and service it, cleaning the gears and greasing them up with some lithium grease .. Is that by chance difficult to do ?? I'm fairly good at taking apart consoles and working on them ..
                                         http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/147/dscn1473.png

seieienbu

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »
lol, nice pic.  I hadn't thought about oiling the gears on mine, I'm going to do that this weekend I guess.  While I'm tooling around in there I'm going to see if I have leaky capacitors because I hear that's a thing, too.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

rrob78

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 04:15:05 AM »
Thats an awesome story, very cool of your friend to hook you up with a TG-16 CD!

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
Thanks man .. I'm actually using it right now on my stereo receiver and listening to the audio sound tracks from Y's Book 1 & 2 !!! I'm soo happy that If I take my time and search for the rest of the components, in no time I will have my very first Tg16 cd for cheap !!! I don't like looking at ebay for Tg16 stuff cause it's soo expensive and it bumbs me out to see those idiots making a profit off of our passion for Nec gaming ..

HercTNT

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
Nice score, great pick!! i have a duo, but its my dream to own an original cd setup again.