Author Topic: TurboDuo CD Door advice, if I can't remove the problem, how can I cover it up?  (Read 585 times)

csgx1

Damn, $5 and works!?  Awesome score.

A custom paint job should cover that up nicely. lol :twisted:....

Joking aside, if the blemish reacted or melted into the plastic, then goo gone probably won't do a whole lot.  If it's just on the surface then you might be lucky to get it off. 

I have a PCE Duo that someone splashed something all over it.  The damage on mine was probably a lot worse then your Duo.  Some parts cleaned off but other worse parts etched/melted into the plastic.  I tried a lot of different cleaners too, even goo gone.  My last resort was that I ended up using high grit wet sand paper to even the plastic out which blended the etched parts some and made it look a little better.  Unfortunately the plastic did become smooth, losing the original matted texture/finish. 

I eventually swapped the shell since I was very fortunate that member bluebmw hooked me up with a nice replacement.  I would offer you my cd door off of my old shell, but yours looks like it's in a lot better condition.  Good luck.

JohnnyPhantom

Goo gone had no effect, looks like covering up is my option now and ill wait until I can get a replacement cover someday

Keith Courage

Oops - removal. It is some awesome stuff. http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-278-adhesive-caulk-removers/oops-multi-purpose-remover-141499.aspx They sell it at walmart and Advanced Autoparts by me. Also try magic eraser.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:20:34 PM by Keith Courage »

JohnnyPhantom

I have some oops at my work but its pretty strong stuff worried it would eat the plastic

Sparky

Hey John, what do you think...
the patch/shape came from the shape on the front of a Duo Box.... http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x114/sparkss_photo/bf601fe05453ce30039638970ddbd64e.jpg

i will flush it out more, but it covers it well but the trick will be matching the black in the duo with the sticker, i dont think it should match up perfectly as its a cool shape and can stand on its own but you dont want it standing out like a sore thumb. Also for the rest of your duo try using some detailing spray that they use on cars. I use this...  
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Quik-Detailer-Mist-Spray/dp/B0009IQXAE

Just spritz it on and wipe away and then use a clean cloth and rub it again, it WON'T over do it or make it to shinny, it will blacken it and help hide scratches or imperfections on the duo as it looks a little rough in spots or is it just dirty?  this will also help the sticker to blend in with the body.  Any way its just a quick comp and hope others comment as well, or add ideas as will get her looking good :)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:41:26 AM by Sparky »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
I vote you zonk the thing up like the one up there
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

JohnnyPhantom

Hey John, what do you think...
the patch/shape came from the shape on the front of a Duo Box.... http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x114/sparkss_photo/bf601fe05453ce30039638970ddbd64e.jpg

i will flush it out more, but it covers it well but the trick will be matching the black in the duo with the sticker, i dont think it should match up perfectly as its a cool shape and can stand on its own but you dont want it standing out like a sore thumb. Also for the rest of your duo try using some detailing spray that they use on cars. I use this... 
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Quik-Detailer-Mist-Spray/dp/B0009IQXAE

Just spritz it on and wipe away and then use a clean cloth and rub it again, it WON'T over do it or make it to shinny, it will blacken it and help hide scratches or imperfections on the duo as it looks a little rough in spots or is it just dirty?  this will also help the sticker to blend in with the body.  Any way its just a quick comp and hope others comment as well, or add ideas as will get her looking good :)

I kinda see what you mean with the shape, very nice with the box matching. that may not be a bad idea, but I may go with it being a flat black, or maybe a design to give it more of a "Hey its just a cool system skin decal" rather than a "hey im hiding something here shhh dont look" :P

But VERY NICE Sparky!!

jelloslug

Take the shell apart and spray the entire thing with black plasti-dip.  You could even do something more odd like a wrinkle finish.

Sparky

.....or maybe a design to give it more of a "Hey its just a cool system skin decal" rather than a "hey im hiding something here shhh dont look" :P

hahah...ya man, you dont want it looking like a band-aid. I can only offer sticker solutions its what i do :P
But be careful you do not want the graphic dominating the Duo system.

JohnnyPhantom

.....or maybe a design to give it more of a "Hey its just a cool system skin decal" rather than a "hey im hiding something here shhh dont look" :P

hahah...ya man, you dont want it looking like a band-aid. I can only offer sticker solutions its what i do :P
But be careful you do not want the graphic dominating the Duo system.

hen you say sticker solution, what do you mean exactly?
I would love to have your cut out with a printed design on it (I'll even work on and supply the design) and then I'll send you monies to make it happen :P

thanks again! I saw your TG-16 case ends, very nice work you do!

ProfessorProfessorson

I'd just take it apart and sand the door and paint it black. Then again, I'd also stick the consoles entire shell in the dishwasher first, as it looked pretty dirty from the pics.

JohnnyPhantom

I'd just take it apart and sand the door and paint it black. Then again, I'd also stick the consoles entire shell in the dishwasher first, as it looked pretty dirty from the pics.

Yea it was dirty when I first got it (when I took the pic) since then its been cleaned up very nicely. much better now than it was before