Author Topic: Must-have games for the PCE-CD?  (Read 384 times)

VenomMacbeth

Must-have games for the PCE-CD?
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:42:25 AM »
What are some of the best titles for the CD-ROM system?  So far Super Darius, Blood Gear, Nexzr, and Alzadick are on my most-wanted list, but what are some other (preferably cheaper) must-have games?
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Bernie

• Facebook URL
Re: Must-have games for the PCE-CD?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
Panic Bomberman is a cheapie, and fun title.  Gradius 2 is another, heck there a lot of em really. 

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
Depends on what you consider cheap and good. If were talking $45 and under:
Gradius 2
Vasteel 1 and 2
Valis 1-4
Gotzendiener
L-Dis
Forgotten Worlds
Flash Hiders
Rayxanber II
Monster Lair
Gain Ground
R-Type Complete
Splash Lake
Ai Cho Aniki‎
Cho Aniki
Asuka 120%
Last Alert
Hellfire S
Zero Wing

There are plenty of others. Probably too many to list really.

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Super Raiden is my favorite PCE shooter. Psychic Storm is a decent two-player. Magicoal is a good adventure/run-n-gun for two players. Populous SCD is good if you don't have a version yet. I'd recommend Puyo Puyo over Panic Bomberman.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
Super Raiden is my favorite PCE shooter. Psychic Storm is a decent two-player. Magicoal is a good adventure/run-n-gun for two players. Populous SCD is good if you don't have a version yet. I'd recommend Puyo Puyo over Panic Bomberman.

Yeah Psychic Storm is also another really good one for the price. Easily worth buying. I seem to see Puyo Puyo listed dirt cheap often.

Yamazaki

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »
Shinsetsu Shiawase Usagi

Otaking

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »

lukester

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:57:21 AM »
I barely have any CD games, but Pomping World is absolutely a must. Sidearms Special is also the only true sequel to Sidearms. Unfortunately, Special replaces the cool new Megaman like music in the HuCard version with strange remixes of the arcade soundtrack. Stick with the HuCard for regular Sidearms.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
I barely have any CD games, but Pomping World is absolutely a must. Sidearms Special is also the only true sequel to Sidearms. Unfortunately, Special replaces the cool new Megaman like music in the HuCard version with strange remixes of the arcade soundtrack. Stick with the HuCard for regular Sidearms.

Sidearms Special is actually two games on one disc. The first game is the regular Hyperdyne version as the HuCard, only featuring some nice sampled sound effects and the greatest possible CD renditions of the Sidearms bgms. Definitely worth buying for the music alone, even if you already either HuCard version.

The arcade, HuCard and CD versions all share the same soundtrack. Only the bgms appear in different order. I only remember one original track in the HuCard version, but it's been a while since I compared them all. The HuCard music sounds much better than the arcade music.

The second game on the disc is the "Before Christ" version, which is truly a remake and not any kind of sequel. It features redrawn graphics and altered gameplay.

Sidearms Special's manual is a foldout poster featuring the entire arcade flyer artwork. The disc has beautiful silk screened artwork like Super Darius.

All the Turbo/PCE versions are cheap, so it's worth buying the CD and at least one HuCard copy.

If you're interested in sequels, you should try Section-Z, Forgotten Worlds and Omega Five.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:21:07 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

lukester

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
I know it was a remake, but the bosses and weapons were all new, so it was kind of a sequel.

Also, I actually prefer the music from the HuCard version. That version replaced and remixed some of the tunes from the arcade version. The composer of Megaman 2 composed them, as well as SonSon II. :)

esteban

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »

Hatris SCD
  |    |