Author Topic: Warning!! Sound  (Read 493 times)

CPTRAVE

Warning!! Sound
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
I was playing Buster Bros the other day with my daughter and while playing, a warning voice came on, it said "Warning the Disc you are using contains" and then it stopped. Has anyone ever encountered that issue before?

Black Tiger

Re: Warning!! Sound
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 07:48:48 AM »
It just accidentally ran the wrong audio track. Track 1 on CD games plays a warning for CD music players.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

CPTRAVE

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
Oh ok, I was worried my CDROM was trying to tell me something bad.

sirhcman

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »

How are you liking it so far? It is a very simple yet addicting game!

CPTRAVE

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:50:02 AM »
Oh yeah, my 9 year old daughter and I love the game we are trying to pass every level together. Thanks again sirhcman :P

turboswimbz

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
i recently got buster bros.  too, fun but it get's pretty hectic later on in the game so far. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

sirhcman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
Oh yeah, my 9 year old daughter and I love the game we are trying to pass every level together. Thanks again sirhcman :P

You're welcome, glad you two are enjoying it! :)

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »

joshua hacked into your cd-rom. He just wanted to play a nice game of chess.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »
Every CD player I've ever stuck a videogame disc into has played the data track as completely silent. Never is there a blast of loud data. Where are the CD players that prompted all of these warnings in Turbo CD games?

sirhcman

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »

joshua hacked into your cd-rom. He just wanted to play a nice game of chess.

LMFAO that just made my day! xD

Tatsujin

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
Old players from the 90s did play the data track. My friends amplifier once completely crashed because of that.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
Yeah, data tracks sound truly awful when they get played.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
Every CD player I've ever stuck a videogame disc into has played the data track as completely silent. Never is there a blast of loud data. Where are the CD players that prompted all of these warnings in Turbo CD games?

I had two CD players from the 80's that played data tracks--just random digital noise--and if you quickly skipped the track I figured nothing bad would ever happen (nothing bad ever happened to me).

Some games have alternating Red Book and data tracks (some Telenet games, IIRC)...these are the CD's that I would often have to skip the data tracks on. Thankfully, most games stuck the data on track 2 (and sometimes a redundant data track at the end of all the audio).

I've heard the horror stories about damaged equipment, but I have never met anyone who has actually had this happen to them.

There was some silly band who purposefully included a data track and warned (huge disclaimer on booklet/insert): DO NOT PLAY TRACK 11 "Doom March" because it will destroy your equipment. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

TANGENT: I don't know if I still have the CD (because it was mediocre grindcore, and that's saying something)...but, the production was way too slick for my tastes. Joe, as a fellow connoisseur of hardcore, noisecore and grindcore, I'm sure you'll agree that there should be a "raw" and "rough around the edges" feel to these genres...otherwise, they come across as far too sterile. YES STERILE. I don't want super-clean-slick production. I want messy, organic and real.

QUESTION: What happens when you put modern games (PS1 and above) into a traditional CD player. I don't think I've ever done it.
  |    | 

roflmao

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »
QUESTION: What happens when you put modern games (PS1 and above) into a traditional CD player. I don't think I've ever done it.

I think most use their own proprietary format, though I remember some early PS1 games including the soundtrack as redbook audio.  I I have fond memories of listening to one of the Wipeout games in my car bitd. :)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
Yeah, during the PS1 era developers switched to compressed audio, mainly so that loading could commence without stopping the music every time (see: PC Engine). The first Wipeout and Ridge Racer games used standard CD audio. Most (all?) Saturn games use standard redbook.