Author Topic: Time to learn  (Read 616 times)

Duke.Togo

Time to learn
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
OK, so I have mostly been lurking about, trying to learn as much as I can. I think it's time to get a plan in place.

This is what hardware I currently have:

US TG-16 with controller

PC Engine w/AV booster, multitap - no controller yet

My objective is to be able to play both Hu Card games and CD games. I plan on picking up a Turbo Everdrive for the Hu Card games.

So with my current setup, what would you recommend as the most cost efficient route?  When it comes to the CD setup I need guidance. Should I go with a Super CD for the PCE since I already have that unit? What is the one system card that will take care of all the games (or will I need several)?

Thanks in advance!

turboswimbz

Re: Time to learn
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
Hmm at this point I'd suggest as your thinking and get the PCE super CD for both the ease and price based on what you have now.  

1. because the EDIT: Super CD* set up is bitchin' ( and a little more affordable since you've already got a start )
2. You could get an JP arcade DUO card and that should cover you [with no modification or converters],

The PCE duo is always a good way to go as well, but at this point getting a third system might be a little circumventing. the Duo arcade card however is fairly cheap as i said.

I know a lot of others here will be able to add a lot more than I can.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:17:18 PM by turboswimbz »
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
I think that the Super CD-ROM will be your best bet. They are prone to failing caps which results in low/no audio so be prepared to spend a little bit extra getting it recapped.

They're not exactly cheap but it will probably be the most cost efficient solution and definitely a lot less fuss than other solutions.

The Super CD-ROM systems already have System Card V.3 built in which will allow you to play nearly the entire library of CD games. The only exception being the 'Arcade' games which will require you to purchase an 'Arcade System Card Pro' at some point. They're a little bit pricey at around roughly $35-$60.

The briefcase setup is another option to consider. I don't think it will work out any cheaper getting a briefcase unit and getting a system card for the CD games is mandatory with this setup. Typically you'll need to locate the two items (the interface unit & CDROM unit) separately and the CDROM units are hard to find in working condition.

Your other option would be to sell everything you have and grab a region modded Duo console.

Duke.Togo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
OK, so a person here is selling refurbed CD-ROM units. So after spending $60-$80 for that, I'd have to pick up the IFU-30 and an Arcade System Card Pro? If the card itself is $35-$60 (I would just go for a cheap loose one), what would a loose IFU-30 run me, and would that be all I needed?

Edit: I guess I need to understand system cards a little better. Is it that the best one will run all previous software, meaning that getting an Arcade System Card Pro will be the only card I needed to play any game? Or would I need it AND a V.3 card?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:01:47 PM by Duke.Togo »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
OK, so a person here is selling refurbed CD-ROM units. So after spending $60-$80 for that, I'd have to pick up the IFU-30 and an Arcade System Card Pro?
Yep, spot on.

If the card itself is $35-$60 (I would just go for a cheap loose one), what would a loose IFU-30 run me, and would that be all I needed?
I'd say roughly $30 give or take for an IFU-30, plus shipping. Only other thing you will need is a PSU for it.

Edit: I guess I need to understand system cards a little better. Is it that the best one will run all previous software, meaning that getting an Arcade System Card Pro will be the only card I needed to play any game? Or would I need it AND a V.3 card?
The Arcade System Card Pro is the only card you will ever need. It will run all versions of CD games.

There's 3 different formats of CD based games:

- Standard
- Super
- Arcade

The System Card V3 runs 'standard' and 'super' games but does not run 'arcade' games. The Arcade System card runs them all.

Duke.Togo

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
Excellent, thanks for the fast response. So let's say $70 for CD-ROM, $30 for IFU-30, and $40 for the card, so roughly $140. What would a Super CD set me back?

turboswimbz

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:15:36 PM »
That depends if you get the drive and briefcase then the arcade pro is needed to play ALL games or a V-3 to play most.  this will cost a bit more than if you go with the Super CD-rom add on then you can get an Arcade Duo card because the unit already has some built in ram.

You need to choose if your going to get the Briefcase unit or the Super CD-rom.

the briefcase will cost anywhere from $75 - $150

The CD rom add on will cost $100 - $200

the Pro card is about $35 - $60 as you said

the Duo Card is about $20 - $40

THE huge advantage to the Super is as frank said the V-3 card is built in and you can wait on the arcade card until you get an arcade game. The briefcase will require at least a V-3 Card to play most of the library of games.

both options are pretty reliable.

The only other way to go is to get a duo.  There is a reason many here like this option.  You can get a PCE duo for around $150 - $200 recapped and just add on a Duo card if you need to play arcade games.  Simply put it's cheap and user friendly.  The other set ups look cooler, but are a little more costly.    

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:21:01 PM by turboswimbz »

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
Roughly $180-$200 for a Super-CD ROM. That's at the higher end of pricing though, you may be able to find a better price if you hunt around.

I think with shipping costs the briefcase setup may land more towards the $180 as well.

MotherGunner

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
I think Keith is selling the bare CD units still for about $80.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

turboswimbz

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
Here's a possible lead on a briefcase, Could be the cheapest option (possibly with Kieth's drives)

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13704.0

esteban

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »
QUESTION: What should I get?

ANSWER: SCD. 'Nuff said.
http://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Valis_II/Track_34.mp3

|    | 

turboswimbz

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
that is bitchin! just look at that. brings a tear at the beauty. 

Duke.Togo

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
OK, since it seems sellers here may be able to source me a CD-ROM and briefcase, I'd just have to mess with the card. With the briefcase setup, I only need the one PSU, correct? Is it the same one that I am currently using for my PCE?

Also, does it have standard AV out, or a special cable? That is one thing I like about the AV booster.

Thanks for all the help. I have a pretty big collection, but this is definitely the most complicated hardware choices I've ever run into.

turboswimbz

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »
the unit has AV out - on the side IIRC.  not sure on the PSU. but pretty sure the unit has it's own. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:02:26 PM by turboswimbz »

Frank_fjs

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:14 PM »
Only one PSU is required for the interface unit but it is different to your current PC Engine PSU. As mentioned the interface unit provides AV output as standard.