Author Topic: A new ruleset should be implemented for new members joining just to sell crap.  (Read 4676 times)

ProfessorProfessorson

As stated, shits getting old. A new policy needs to be put into place. Too many people joining up just to use the forum for their dumping ground when their get get rich schemes involving turbo goods falls though on ebay. What should we do? Should we implement our own rule set and enforce it religiously, or get a moderator to do so to kick out people coming here just to dump stuff?

DarkKobold

Loaded questions make for great legitimate surveys.
Hey, you.

SignOfZeta

I have thoughts on this but the option I'm looking for doesn't seem to be there.

ProfessorProfessorson

Honestly there should be some requirements here before being allowed to sell. There should be a post count/forum activity requirement. Also, references should be mandatory, along with posting clean/clear pics of the items for sale when you are new. Too many new sellers joining just to sell, and they don't post pics and have no real references. There could even be a transaction limit in place to have them prove they can successfully complete a few before posting some massive list and trying to fill 20 different peoples orders. Many forums usually have some requirements in place. Surprisingly this one has never implemented any really.

esteban

I would love for NO BUY and NO SELL be in place for anyone below 1,150 posts. :)
  |    | 

psychobear

Being a new member on here I try to my best not to clash or step on any veteran members, in my for sale threat I always post pictures to everything, never gauge no one, and even did a raffle for a spare I had laying around.

I wouldn't want to be rosted by any one on here!

MotherGunner

Honestly there should be some requirements here before being allowed to sell. There should be a post count/forum activity requirement.

This, Mike.  Other forums I am a member of even has a seller rep (feedback rep) and rules are heavily enforced on buying and selling via time and post count.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

vestcoat

Sale forums shouldn't even be visible to members with less than 100 posts and two months activity.

vestcoat

Noob's second post:
Stop bitching... Jesus if you want the f*cking lot, then pay up.

thesteve

let anyone sell
have some feedback system
limit buying by noobs (non contributing members)

SignOfZeta

I kind of like the system we have because I have no problem with noobs dumping shit. They %99 of the time want way too much friggn money for the stuff, but the flame patrol will take care of that. Honestly, roasting is clearly the number one most popular thing on this forum anyway. The place would be a f*cking ghost town without the dumpers. WE FEED UPON THEM.

esteban

I kind of like the system we have because I have no problem with noobs dumping shit. They %99 of the time want way too much friggn money for the stuff, but the flame patrol will take care of that. Honestly, roasting is clearly the number one most popular thing on this forum anyway. The place would be a f*cking ghost town without the dumpers. WE FEED UPON THEM.

As always, Zeta's stance is more fun and more realistically achievable (its already in place) than my own dream (requiring 1,150 post count before BUY/SELL is accessible). I realize now that noobs will artificially inflate their post account with GARBAGGIO, which will actually degrade the overall experience for EVERYONE.

I suppose we should still have a handful of  "best-practice principals" posted somewhere, REGARDLESS, to serve as a reference for everyone. We will refer noobs there as soon as they rear their misshapen little craniums.

NOTE: I actually am very welcoming of noobs...I don't want to lose someone who might actually contribute to the community simply because they step on a few toes with their initial FOR SALE post. On the flip side, we quickly discover what a person is like via the FOR SALE threads...so maybe it's a good thing that folks reveal their true colors, so quickly, since $$$$$ is involved.

Gentlemen, let the noobie sellers run the gauntlet, should they choose to be so bold. :)

|    | 

Jibbajaba

We want more mods, we want more rules, etc. but we are hanging out on a forum that basically has no administrator.  At the end of the day, if we want more control over the forums, we're going to have to move.  Like over to the forums that sunteampaul set up when PCEFX went down.

I'm not encouraging anyone to ditch this place.  I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious that PCEFX is a take-it-or-leave-it situation at this point.

I will also say that the Prof's idea of us self-policing will not work.  These people show up to dump stuff and we all rail on them, but behind the scenes guys like retrohungry and segasaturn 51195 are selling stuff.  So what reason do they have to listen to anything that we say?  They have no intention of sticking around, so they might as well flame us right back.  We're all paper tigers anyway, since we have no way to boot/ban them.  The best way to handle the situation would be to treat them with respect and point out that their prices are too high and that this isn't eBay (but do it politely).  If they act like a$$holes and/or don't lower their prices then of course none of us "regulars" will buy from them (and in fact we should completely ignore them instead of keeping their thread at the top of the page with constant bumps), but just as there are people who sign up here just to sell shit, there are also people here who sign up just to buy shit, and we can't control what they do. 

The best thing we can do is only sell our stuff to forum regulars and only buy stuff from forum regulars or noobs who have reasonable prices.  We really can't control the actions of noob gougers and buyers who only have a membership here to fill holes in their collection at any cost.  If you really can't stand those people, the best thing to do is to completely shun them.

Chris

PunkicCyborg

I don't have aproblem with noobs selling, I've bought from people in the past with low counts and had no problem. if someone has some interesting stuff to sell from their childhood that they haven't touched in years then why should they be forced to make posts just to offer something. you get noobs posting a bunch of junk posts to get their count up.
you really can't get too upset when people come in here and last stuff at ebay prices because often times thats what they payed for it. if you don't like their price make an offer. if they are still to high then their stuffs just won't sell.
I would rather see a feedback system in place so we know who the good sellers are. if a no feedback person is selling everyone knows they are taking more of a risk.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

esteban

It's settled then: we will publicly shun offensive sellers, but unleash a veritable hellstorm of harassment via PM, email, social media (whatever! You know what I mean).

Seller's thread isn't bumped. Seller's private communications filled with sea of noise.

Finally, I get on my soapbox to explain why BLODIA is an unfairly maligned game.
  |    |